noob with some ??s

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys :headbang:

I dont currently own a Viper yet... my fiance and I are expecting our first child so income is quickly absorbed for the next few weeks... but Im in the market and will be ready to purchase soon so I have a few questions

1) do any particular year models stand out.. or rather, is there any particular year model I should avoid? I have a weakness for the 1st gens so Im most interested in an RT-10. I do prefer AC and a solid roof so I just may end up with an early GTS as well. Any pros or cons about either??

2) can you guys reccommend a good dealer/dealership in the central Texas area?? I dont mind a long drive, however I would prefer to stay somewhat local. Id prefer someone who could locate the car/color/options of my choice and can perform maintenence as well.

3) exhaust... forgive me, but I like loud, obnoxious cars. Id like something that has a good muscular sound, but can still rattle windows and set off car alarms. The cops in this area of the state are pretty lax and will let you get away with pretty much anything below speeding... my plan so far is the Bellanger (sp) headers and maybe just straight pipes from there back... also, of the RT-10s Ive ridded in, the door sills get really hot, almost un-touchable. Is there any way to get a good sound and avoid this heat??

4) wheels/tires... Im also a fan of big, fat wheels and tires. Ive seen some pretty nice sets of wheels on Mr Roe's website and Ill probably end up with the 19x10/19x13s... but my ?? is, can you go wider than that?? can the wheelwells cover a wheel wider than 13in in the back?? ...and if so, who can supply custom wheels and will tires be available??

Im sure Ill have plenty more questions in the near future so please forgive me. I also realize that I could do research on my own, but Id rather ask specifiics and get people's first hand opinions, so any help is greatly appreciated

THANKS
Vin

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Any year is good. Some GenI have head gasket issues. AC didn't come along until 94 I believe.

3. Removing the cats reduces the side sill heat considerably.

4. 19 inch wheels? Posing huh?

A fiance expecting? Good luck.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"1) do any particular year models stand out.. or rather, is there any particular year model I should avoid? I have a weakness for the 1st gens so Im most interested in an RT-10. I do prefer AC and a solid roof so I just may end up with an early GTS as well. Any pros or cons about either??"

Why not go with a GenII RT10? You don't have to put up with a weaker engine and no windows in order to have a convertible...

(haha, I'm expecting some flames from a few of you GenI peeps :) )

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with a Gen II R/T 10 so you can have real windows and a decent hardtop if you need it.
:)
Run high flow or no cats and low restriction mufflers for a better sound and much less interior heat.
Just my .000012 after tax.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vin,

Congrats on the baby. Obviously I like the '96/'97 Blue GTS's. Headers and a Borla cat back exhaust will readily do the car alarm thing (that is what I have and it happens a lot).

Welcome to the Viper world!

Regards,

OP
OP
V

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks wckdvpr, does the Borla exhaust create the dreaded drone that many complain about??

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are partial to Gen I's, I would say get a Gen I.

Yeah they are slightly slower, and don't have all the creature comforts of the Gen II's.

I love my 95 and would get rid of the GTS before I got rid of the 95, never thought I would say that. The Gen I's sound great when you get the high flow cats and headers on them. Living in Texas I would not worry about having the windows and top.

Nothing like the Gen I's in my book. I guess depending on what you want to use it for. Yes a Gen II would make a better daily driver.

Just my thoughts<
Ed

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vin,

Yes, that set up has some drone. I would suggest going to a Viper event and getting some rides in different cars with different systems. I am sure people would be happy to take you for a ride.

VOI 8 is coming up in september followed by Viper Days both at/around Texas Motor Speedway. Also, there are tons of Vipers in Texas.

When you get close to wanting to make a purchase, post on the board and ask for some rides, I am sure people will respond. Especially try the Viper racing/dyno results/time slips forum. That is where a lot of the Texas guys hang out.

Send me a PM with your email and I will email you a very short video of my car so you can hear the exhaust (car is going by at full throttle in 4th gear)

Best regards,
Mike