Northeast Winter Usage question:

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many drive their cars (in the dry obviously) in the winter?
Does anyone at all, or just store them away?

Thanks,

G

Jerry Colpitts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
once we get the first snowfall my car is in for the winter. it will not come out til spring. i even wait til a good amount of the sand is off the road as well.i then put it up on jack stands and clean the entire car for the next season of fun. :2tu: :2tu:

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of people drive in the winter. In addition to the rain/snow, most don't drive when there is a lot of sand and salt down. God knows there is plenty of heat in these cars! I love the winter drives. :2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive essentially year round. My NY state inspection is November, which forces me to get at least new rear tires; better for wet weather. Heat is good, defrost is fine. At speeds of 80 and over, the vents in the soft top above the side curtains let out too much cabin air, so it can get chilly inside. Luckily my shifter boot has a hole in it, so I get extra engine heat. You can add a third windshield wiper washer fluid hole with a #40 drill to help clean the glass. If you have the side curtains, invest in a door popper. The vinyl gets really stiff in the cold and the zipper edge will catch on your winter coat sleeve all the time. Tire temperatures don't get up until 10-15 miles. Short shifting into second and then giving it the gas results in wheel spin at 70MPH. Not good. One advantage- you don't need to scrape the rear window (RT/10) In dry snow, use one gear higher. In wet slush, use two gears higher. It's the one time the skip shift feature might be useful. 70,000 miles so far, only hit one guardrail, and that was on a dry track.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once a month in the winter, pick the best day and go. After snow... a few days of bitter cold and high winds the roads are dry and relatively clean. Its great therapy, helps the months go by and by.

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would clearly never take any of my cars in salty sandy conditions.
I was merely wondering if the cars where driveable in the cold... Without getting on it. Just as a user's standpoint.
For me cars are only a weekend toy. I work in New York City, and drive only when the sun is out...

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as long as it's not snowing. wet roads do nothing for me anyway. I'm diehard

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Winter in New Jersey and New York ? :)
You are far too south to have real winters down there.

If I live in NY I would drive my Viper without problem even in December and January. The heating is great in these cars !

Think about Montreal. Here we have real winters !

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I would go crazy if I had to go the whole winter without driving the Snake !
If it is not wet /snow or rain and no salt around from a bad storm I will hit the road. Gotta be more carefull though in the cold you can kick the rear out even easier.

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
City Snake!
I'm in city too...
Your ride looks good with the skyline!
Hope to get bitten soon. Just need to ditch the Pcar soon.

Greg

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention... cold tires are really bad. I know that is a general rule, but on the viper its REALLY bad. Don't get on it in a turn at all. Other then that... :2tu:

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OUCH, i guess.

There are some great roads by me I can blast in the summer. A litte gas in cold weather and the rear looks to swap space with the front end.

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I drove a Supercharged BMW M coupe which has many similar driving characteristics as the Viper. With 380HP and 300ft/lbs of torque at 3000lbs, it spun the 275/35 18s all the time...

Anyway, I drove it in the winter... Same thing.. Exiting a turn, you execute extreme caution...

I am also used to high HP cars with my current Porsche which pushed 550ft/lbs of torque...

Just making sure I could still play with the snake in the winter time!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Gotta drive it once in the powder... right of passage.

Me I get every moment I can out of my baby: rain, sleet, zero degree morning, the bitter darkness of night, whatever... course I'm not as "Northeast" as you are...

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive in January if there is no snow or salt! Heating is great and plenty of wheelspin... Just got to be be careful with the Pilots, they are just about worthless in those temperatures.
Nothing like seeing a Viper in 25 degree weather.

Lauri