NOT pleased with EBC red's...after 500 miles.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of dust and squealing.

Car is a daily driver. (Half highway, half around town.)

Braking seems the same as OEM.

The rotor's were NOT cut. Just a pad change. This could be the problem.

Bedded per instructions.

Anything can be done to cut down the squeal?

Anyone experience the same thing with just a pad change? Apple to apples.

Are these the new formula. Code on box

D810
DP31110C

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't the reds intended for track/high temperature use? May not be a good street pad choice.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan @ DC Performance put the new EBC Reds on my car a few weeks ago. My rotors were not cut either, Dan said they didn't need to be cut.

I had way more dust than OEM in the beginning, and lots & lots of squealing... Horrible hair raising sound... We drove it to Big Bear and back, the sound is almost totally gone. The dust is WAY better than OEM.

I had the car back at DC for Corsa install right before the BB trip and Dan felt the sound would work its way out soon and it did.

Dan did say if needed, he had something he could do to make the sound stop... So if its really bugging you, call Dan.

I'm happy now with the pads and the dust. I wont go back to OEM... :2tu:

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Reds brand new in the box from John at PartsRack. Do you think I should exchange them for the Green? :dunno:

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Red is the new Green... They changed formulas.
So stick with the Reds? I am only changing pads because I want less brake dust. How many miles did it take before the red pads were making less brake dust then OEM and how many miles before the squeeling stopped?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stick with Reds! The new greens are BAD, and not track worthy.

The new red is like the old green, but more bite and track worthy now.

Kala hit the nail on the head- they take TIME to break in, especially with uncut rotors. If your rotors were not great, it could take 500-1000 miles to break them in, and they will have a hell of a lot of dust until they get there.

DP31110C is the newest Red for the SRT.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i put them on my 00 gts, and my Ram srt, and it took a couple hundred miles for both to bed in, not squeel and the dust to calm down. after you get over that, they are great.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the greens are for dustless street use.

Current formula greens will dust more than oem & I don't believe they are recommended for Vipers that are driven hard @ any time. Reds have replaced the old greens & I feel are superior to the old greens.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've had the reds on for a while. The amount of dust production is still way 2 much considering other brands like axxis or centric i've used on other cars do a much better job. Bottom line is i have given up hope of ever finding a low dust pad for the viper.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had ceramic pads on other cars that were lower dust... But they were not Vipers.. When I bought my first Gen I, I was told that dust meant the brakes were working...

So far the EBC Reds are the best Viper pad, I have seen. A couple of weeks ago, we went on a VCA Run to Big Bear, most of the other Vipers had a lot more brake dust than mine.

If someone finds a pad that has less dust and stops better I would like to know about it as well :devgrin: for now I'm happy with these...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running the EBC Red pads since October 2004. I installed them at 5000 miles and now have 19,000 miles on the car so the pads have 14,000 miles on them. Red pads are made of a ceramic material. I have just about zero dust from them and when I wash the car the wheels clean up with just soap and water. They do squeal just a little bit just before the car comes to a complete stop. You can eliminate the squeal by using any product that is made for such an application such as NAPA's SQUEAK RELIEF, Part Number 765-2630. You spray this product on the back of the pads, let it cure, and then install the pads as normal.

EBC Red Stuff Pads offer high resistance to brake fade and a friction level that steadily rises with temperature to reach 0.33µ at 1380° Fahrenheit. This makes them appropriate for extreme high speed driving and repetitive heavy braking use. Ceramic brake pads provide longer pad life than semi-metallic brake pads under extreme conditions with virtually no brake rotor abrasion and wear.

EBC Yellow Stuff Sport Disc Brake Pads are the ultimate race track brake pads and are made of Kevlar.
EBC Yellow Stuff Sport Disc Brake Pads are questionable for the street as they need to be heated up to the proper operating before use.

Robbie

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put EBC greens on my GTS two years ago. Went with only a minor rotor resurface, and the brakes still squealed. Got serious about it, and used the 3M ROLOC to really clean up the rotors. Silence afterword.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
so which ones are the lowest dust , red, green or yellow?

-Green and Red are the lowest. (about <25% of stock)

-Green pads are no longer suitable for use on the Vipers.

-Red pads are OK for track days, but serious drivers should use Yellows.... the Yellows are about 75% of the stock dust level.

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO for less dust we have one vote for red , one for yellow and two for green but green are not safe..Glad i have a clear picture now

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on greens in August of 2005. They stop as well as the stock, in normal everyday driving. The stock squealed like I had just run over a jogger every time I stopped. :omg: The greens, along with a thorough clean up of the rotors with ROLOC, are very quiet.

But, dust is bad. Anytime I drive the car, even for a few miles, the stock chrome wheels look hazy. The fronts are even worse.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so 2 for red, 1 for yellow, 2 for green and 1 against green - looks like a poll maybe the only way to go, i'm not sure anyone is going to do an actual road test. Would take a lot of driving miles and how would u measure dust?

Is the handbrake pad used in actual braking or just for the hand brake?

i'm not trying to be a smartass, just frustrated and confused. i had one vendor pm me and tell me that the reds are new and reformulated and another vendor pm me and tell me that there are no such things as reformulated red pads. And i've tried greens - they **** as low dust , trying reds and they are a little better but not optimal. The amount of dust is significant especially when braking from 100mph plus - u can actually see more dust in clumps . i am using ebc rotors 2, had em turned as well, and pads are worn in. guess i'll just give up and drive

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I put on greens in August of 2005. They stop as well as the stock, in normal everyday driving. The stock squealed like I had just run over a jogger every time I stopped. :omg: The greens, along with a thorough clean up of the rotors with ROLOC, are very quiet.

But, dust is bad. Anytime I drive the car, even for a few miles, the stock chrome wheels look hazy. The fronts are even worse.

Yep, they will work, but unless you "cross hatch" the rotor to quiet them down, they squeal like a *****. They will also wear out FAST in a Viper application. Reds are much better in these respects... last longer, less dust, and quiet.

Yellows have all the same features and grab a little harder, but make more dust

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
so 2 for red, 1 for yellow, 2 for green and 1 against green - looks like a poll maybe the only way to go, i'm not sure anyone is going to do an actual road test. Would take a lot of driving miles and how would u measure dust?

i'm not trying to be a smartass, just frustrated and confused. i had one vendor pm me and tell me that the reds are new and reformulated and another vendor pm me and tell me that there are no such things as reformulated red pads. And i've tried greens - they **** as low dust , trying reds and they are a little better but not optimal. The amount of dust is significant especially when braking from 100mph plus - u can actually see more dust in clumps . i am using ebc rotors 2, had em turned as well, and pads are worn in. guess i'll just give up and drive

Yes, the Reds were reformulated over a year ago. The new ones are MUCH better, and took the place of the greens in a Viper app. The new greens are geared for lighter, smaller cars, and another version for BIG trucks. No performance orientation.

PS- handbrake caliper is ONLY for the handbrake.

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the Reds on my srt-10 as well as neon srt-4. They too make tons of dust at first, they still squeal like hell. hopefully they get better. The dust is W A Y better!!! ;)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL .. I really think the confusion is due to the reformulation and the change in the recommended pad; from green to red.
I've used EBC's for years, I've always used greens, on my BMWs, RT/10, Volvo, Mustang - all with great brake feel & huge redux on dusting. Now I just got Reds for my SRT, as they reformulated & now Red is the new Green for the SRT. So, I've had great luck with EBC green, and now with Red as it's now the recommended color for SRT. They do need breaking in, all my others squeeled for a few hundred miles.