Now Insurance co. Wants To Fix Car They said Was Totalled

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they decide it is repairable, and the repairs are begun then they have to cover any hidden damage that is identified. That's typically why the cut the threshold at 80%. The car CAN be repaired, back to original.... it's all a matter of cost. Unless your state has a salvage title law that indicates a vehicle repair cost over x% of actual cash value of the vehicle has to be totaled and branded salvage-non-rebuildable....then any amount up to $48K is a good number. Any amount over $48K is a bad number and should be totaled.

As far as "quality aftermarket parts", I would be very surprised if they could find any aftermarket parts for a Viper.... I don't think any are available. What parts were marked "aftermarket"? Now they could have "LKQ" (another name for "used" parts)..... as long as they are in good condition and not "wear" items... they are Dodge OEM parts, just off another Viper.... they are perfectly good parts.... but some folks try to demand NEW parts (on their used vehicle) to try and drive the cost up and move it closer to a total loss.....

Bottom line, if the repairs are started either the insurance company will finish them, or buy you out of the the car and give you stated value...... unless you negotiate a "deal" for you and them.

Make sure you check the insurance policy application you should have had to sign..... make sure there were no questions on the application about whether or not the vehicle had been previously wrecked and rebuilt..... or any salvage title status. If the question was answered incorrectly they could view it as material misrepresetation and try to void the policy altogether.....

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they decide it is repairable, and the repairs are begun then they have to cover any hidden damage that is identified. That's typically why the cut the threshold at 80%. The car CAN be repaired, back to original.... it's all a matter of cost. Unless your state has a salvage title law that indicates a vehicle repair cost over x% of actual cash value of the vehicle has to be totaled and branded salvage-non-rebuildable....then any amount up to $48K is a good number. Any amount over $48K is a bad number and should be totaled.

As far as "quality aftermarket parts", I would be very surprised if they could find any aftermarket parts for a Viper.... I don't think any are available. What parts were marked "aftermarket"? Now they could have "LKQ" (another name for "used" parts)..... as long as they are in good condition and not "wear" items... they are Dodge OEM parts, just off another Viper.... they are perfectly good parts.... but some folks try to demand NEW parts (on their used vehicle) to try and drive the cost up and move it closer to a total loss.....

Bottom line, if the repairs are started either the insurance company will finish them, or buy you out of the the car and give you stated value...... unless you negotiate a "deal" for you and them.

Make sure you check the insurance policy application you should have had to sign..... make sure there were no questions on the application about whether or not the vehicle had been previously wrecked and rebuilt..... or any salvage title status. If the question was answered incorrectly they could view it as material misrepresetation and try to void the policy altogether.....

I don't have the estimate here with me at home but I remember the hood was one of the items marked QAP (I think that was the abbreviation they used, with a description in the back for "quality aftermarket or rebuilt parts) and was listed as 12k.

I don't have the application but I know there was no question as to the title status. I never would have lied on something like that.

Thanks for all the helpful info!! I appreciate everyone's help in this confusing situation.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a full coberage policy then they have to either repair the car back to before accident condition or total the car out and give you fair market value plus tax. Its easy as that and if they try any thing different with you then you have a very good law suit.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't have the estimate here with me at home but I remember the hood was one of the items marked QAP (I think that was the abbreviation they used, with a description in the back for "quality aftermarket or rebuilt parts) and was listed as 12k.

I don't have the application but I know there was no question as to the title status. I never would have lied on something like that.

Thanks for all the helpful info!! I appreciate everyone's help in this confusing situation.

QRP and that is a used part not aftermarket. Here anything over 70% gets totaled.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator is the place I would send my car for mechanical work, no question. However Chuck subs out body work. He replaced my front bumper cover on my 06 but he farmed out the prep work and painting. The body shop he uses is very good though and the work was awesome.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd push to have them total out the car... especially if you want to get into a Gen III or IV.

I wouldn't want to wait forever for the car to get fixed and worry about it being done right. Take the money and have fun shopping for the next one. Hey, that might just be me...

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 2 people check out the estimate to fix the car. Matt, a member here (mbccenter) that has repaired Vipers, and the shop where it's at now. Both told me that the repair estimate is way off and missing a lot of items. Matt was kind enough to email me a list of items that were omitted from viewing the photo's I sent him. Mike at the shop the car is at, is going to do an estimate for me in a couple of days and call the adjuster to go over things.

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can"t just give you a repair estimate without a shop agreement of that estimate. So if the 2 shops that you are refering to are approved serivce provider by the insurance company then the insurance company has to work with them to give you a fair and equitible estimate. I don't know who you are using, but if it is anyone like Grundy, Haggerty or American Collectible, then you should not have any problem getting your stated value. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to go to a dealer and get a list of all the replacement parts cost just to be sure you got a strong case to discuss with the adjuster. Remember sometime the best defense is a strong offense. Build your case and sit the adjuster down and drag him/her through every little nut and bolt.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got paid just over $25,000 for this, there is no other parts that were damaged, just what you see in the picture along with the other headlight. from the looks of it yours should quickly add up to $35,000

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten