now its a built motor!!!

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything on the copperhead was buttoned up. I was 1 day away from dyno, with Todd Abrams ready to tune, with almost every mod he had previously installed outside the bottom end. I mean everything. My new Greg Good heads & cam were in... everything looked ****.

Well, over the last month, I had given this stock bottom end much though..

Truthfuly can any motor expert stand by and back up the capabilitty and reliability of stock pistons if we are looking for +600rwhp and complete reliability.

After heads and cam, Was i gonna have a real car finally??? or a bunch of great mods on a stock botom end. Everything else looked great on the car except those stock pistons and rods...

Todd, explained, on stock pistons, he would likely have to tune conservatily for utmost safety and hey ultimately, we still never know. I want this ***** to last and last through thousands of redlines.

I didnt want to be driving around, in a real nice copperhead and think about losing a stock piston. Worry about a gas station, going cheap or something.

I wanted to feel cofident, every time i get in this car and hammer it,im covered... and i really wanted to max every hp on a reliable all motor setup and enjoy this copperhead for a very long time.

I came to the conclusion the built motor is the only way to go.

After discussion with Todd, we worked plan and costs and we decided "lets stop farting around with all the questions and concerns about STOCK PISTONS & RODS" and lets build the bottom end.

Gregs flow numbers on the 10:5 heads setup for a stock motor were close to 350cfm @ .700 lift and he preached the head cam setup is good for 620rwhp...

Well, I was just not going to put both these 2 viper experts work on a stock bottom end.

Todds, managing my motor build and its now in the machine shop.
We are gonna order CP Pistons and K1 Technologies Rods.

I think we are shooting for 10:7-10:8 compression on 91. Im gonna set my goal for 650rwhp, but it will be what it is, completely reliably on 91oct with Todds SCT tune.

Looks like a little while longer.

I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you made a very sound decision. Based on your stated objectives you should be very pleased with the results. :2tu:

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weren't you talking about this 5 months ago? I thought you were doing the build then? Now you're just deciding to build the bottom end?

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weren't you talking about this 5 months ago? I thought you were doing the build then? Now you're just deciding to build the bottom end?

Yes... I never got that far earlier... just heads and cam and now realizing the importrance of the built bottom end I really felt i had no choice.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you and that's a great decision...not only to ease your concerns about the stock rods/pistons but also gives you room for more power down the road.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you have Greg Good Heads can I ask you how did you get him to respond to you? I have sent 2 pm's about having my heads/intake port matched but still no reply after a week but he has logged in several times since. I have already spent a few thousand dollars this week on upgrades and I just wanted to know how much more I would have to spend in the near future to have him work his magic but no luck yet??? Anyone here know how much I need to plan on to have port matching done???:2tu:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think the stock rods and pistons would be fine with 600 rwhp but hey now thw shy is the limit...600 today and now 1200 tomorrow with a paxton or roe tt

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think the stock rods and pistons would be fine with 600 rwhp but hey now thw shy is the limit...600 today and now 1200 tomorrow with a paxton or roe tt

Are you an engine builder or a tuner? Where do you get your information... general population? Do you know anything about what detonation can do to stock pistons? My stock pistons have already been exposed to several thousand miles of forced induction and I was not satisfied with that setup. I am not gonna risk it.

And what are you talking about! The design plan for the motor is for natural aspiration. WHO CARES ABOUT 1200 HP S/C or TT. Thats an entirely different subject, and your missing the point. The motor that being built is solely for durability, longevity, performance.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you have Greg Good Heads can I ask you how did you get him to respond to you? I have sent 2 pm's about having my heads/intake port matched but still no reply after a week but he has logged in several times since.

713-290-1103 is the best way to get a hold of GG

greg is a caveman, probably doesnt know he has PM's.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you an engine builder or a tuner? Where do you get your information... general population? Do you know anything about what detonation can do to stock pistons? My stock pistons have already been exposed to several thousand miles of forced induction and I was not satisfied with that setup. I am not gonna risk it.

And what are you talking about! The design plan for the motor is for natural aspiration. WHO CARES ABOUT 1200 HP S/C or TT. Thats an entirely different subject, and your missing the point. The motor that being built is solely for durability, longevity, performance.

of course Im none of those things. Simply posting my opinion on a thread you started. Im sorry you dont care for my opinion. But it still stands..

Do I think it is great that you are spending the extra money to have that peice of mind. yes I do and there is absolutely nothing in the world wrong with your logic.

But do I honestly in my heart think that a stock 450 rwhp csr needs everything built just to become a 600 rwhp car naturally asperated. No not even close.

Good luck on your build and I cant wait to see the results!!!!!:2tu:

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the built A&C Performance Motor with Greg Good Raced Ported Heads and GG Cam is getting closer.

Based on last Wednesday update from Todd Abrams, the CP Piston, K1 Technologies Rod motor is suppose to be hitting his shop this week. Todd specified a 10:7 comp for 91 oct.

The car will will likely be on Todd's Dyno Dynamics Dyno next week sometime.

We were duscussing doing a 100oct tune along the 91 tune but we will see.

Its been a long process, mostly decision changes i made, and not selecting a firm path on my part, stuff like balancing costs for a built motor, however after 8 months, without a viper, we are almost there now.

The entire aproach for this project, i could have just stayed stock, was to have a high all motor hp setup, great driveability, quality and reliability so i may enjoy my viper, on or off the track, for the next 20+ years.

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow..your keeping that badboy!!!!!!!!That is gonna be one seriously fast NA beaste. We are all biteing our fingernails..Not everyday someone goes all out on a NA build like this. Good luck and I hope your path leads you to a huge *** of gold...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There's a reason the ACRX's come with forged pistons.

The key to long "modded" engine life is the tune.

Suggest you be reasonable with your hp / tq expectations and accept slightly lower "dyno" numbers if necessary to get the durability you want.

Then make the other necessary upgrades like cooling, clutch, trans, diff and 1/2 shaft mods to keep from breaking other parts.

Dan

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The built motor arrived at A&C Performance last week.

Im waiting for installation.

Todd was nice to invite me to witness the tuning process.

I hope to get my copperhead back fairly soon.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know on a previous thread you were talking of building a 700 rw hp NA build. Did you change you mind because of reliability issues or did the cost outway the possible reward? Hope everything turns out well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know on a previous thread you were talking of building a 700 rw hp NA build. Did you change you mind because of reliability issues or did the cost outway the possible reward? Hope every turns out well.

I did not want to go big bore or stroker due to costs and quality concerns.

I also did not want to sacrifice driveability with any larger cam than what was selected by the experts doing my motor.

We will do what we get too with 505, Todd's built Motor and GG heads and cam.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rather its 550 rwhp or 650 rwhp knowing that the engine will give you years and years of performance is priceless

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything above 600 rwhp NA will be sweet. Can't wait for the results. I know you are itching to get back into the car.

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just spoke with Todd. His base tune got loaded today.

A bit of driving... he was surprised how well it pulled at 2000 rpm....said It feels it gonna make tons of torque.

Work light issue with the X-metal.. stock TB on now. New TD Rockers a bit noisy but nothing surprising. After a bit of driving will re check. Heads and Valvetrain outstanding. All else nominal thus far.

He said the cam sound is extremely aggresive. A serious head turner driving into the lot.

Last edited: