NYC SPEED TRAPS!!!!! from a PRO

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update,
from other people...

When going South Bound from Dyckman St. towards the FDR Drive about 1/2 a mile down the officer sits in a resting spot with patrol radal facing back at SB traffic, it's hard to spot because he hides behind some bushes. Speed limit here is 40 mph.

Northbound on the Henry Hudson Parkway there is a hill right before the tolls. The posted speed limit is 35 but traffic is usauly moving at around 70MPH. Most of the time there are about 4 cars two pulled over getting speeds and the other pulling cars over. This Speed trap is not very comon but is something you should look out for. Also the LEO normaly are using laser so you detectors will not alert. I recommend going 50 around the turn they won't pull you over for that they are looking for the big speeders.

11th Avenue is five lanes wide heading south towards West Street. Police vehicle was positioned on left side of Avenue, after cresting the 22nd Street hill (you cannot see him until it's too late). Posted limit is 30mph, while average traffic speed is closer to 50mph.

As the Hudson Parkway southbound comes to its first light at 57th Street, the limit drops from 45 to 40. The cops are close to the traffic light on the right shoulder looking north aiming radar/laser up the hill onto southbound traffic. As this point is about a quarter to a half mile before the light, traffic is flowing above the limit, at about 50 to 60mph.

The cops are on foot and traffic can be heavy and fast. So they only ticketed the drivers on the right lane that they could pull over with a little flashlight, myself included. The drivers in the center and left lanes were faster but were not bothered.

When exiting the George Washington Bridge top level (I-95) or Henry Hudson north onto 178th street, it is illegal to make a right turn from the lane you are in. However many people don't realize this and get tickets. I have never gotten a ticket there but I live nearby and see cops pulling people over all the time. Also, I'll throw in a reminder that if you're drunk, take a cab home.

On the northbound FDR drive going towards the GWB, there is a left hand exit for you to get off onto 178 st, and then a right exit to go onto a ramp leading you to the GWB. Normally where the two lanes merge there is always a cop there just parked......

NYPD Highway Patrol units (especially Hwy 2 in Brooklyn and Hwy 3 in Queens) now have yellow Crown Vic taxicabs equipped with radar and laser for speed enforcement.

Traveling northbound on the FDR Drive, there is a blind spot when the traffic goes from three lanes to one, immediately after the Brooklyn Bridge extension. They tag you as you crest the hill exiting the Battery Park Underpass and pull you over as the traffic goes down to one lane.

There is a cop hiding almost all the time on a hill going east towards JFK Airport. A few exits before the belt to van wick fork there is a hill with an overpass and a merging onramp onto the belt. The cop is always on the hill before the overpass and with any luck you should see him from a distance. However, rarely he hides on the same hill on the other side of the overpass where you can't see him.

On either the Meadowbrook and Wantagh Parkways southbound the speed limit is 55 mph and the prevailing traffic speed is 65-75 mph (when traffic is light). 70% of the traffic exits onto Sunrise Highway and Merrick Rd and the road opens up wide as you enter Jones Beach State park. So tempting to lean into the gas pedal a bit, huh?. Bad move, as there are many many places to hide and almost always a trooper in one of them. They will snipe you for 65 or more in a 55 usually.

When heading eastobound on the Northern State Parkway you will see this one. As you drive eastbound toward the New Hyde Park Road South exit you will notice there is a guard rail on the right side. As soon as the rail ends right before the exit ramp for New Hyde Park South look into the trees and you will see a dirt road into the woods where the cops hang out. There is usually a fully marked New York State Police car back there and it is really hard to see during the summer time.

Around exit 36 going west on the LIE there is always a cop hidden in the HOV lane behind a barrier. I believe this is mostly to catch people travelling in the HOV lane without carpooling. People usually enter the HOV lane illegally around this area to try and cut off the traffic (HOV lane ends shortly afterwards). Avoid entering or exiting the HOV lane illegally at this point as you will be caught.

There is a large section of the median on the Meadowbrook Parkway around Exits M4 and M5 (or vice versa) that have a LOT of vegetation, Police vehicles are capable of pulling behind and possibly INTO the vegetation. There is one area to be particularly wary of and that is the Hempstead Turnpike bridge, where there is dense vegetation surrounding the support pylons, but Police routinely maintain pathways to and from the underside of the bridge, where it is clear and paved and gives them the ability to tag in either direction when you pass under the bridge.

If you're traveling on the Triborough Bridge to Queens from either Manhattan or the Bronx BE CAREFUL! The Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority Patrol is out in force! They sit on the right hand shoulder directly under the South bridge tower. They use hand-held radar Ka band, pace your speed, and have dash-mount units. I don't condone speeding but the speed limit is 40mph. Doing 60mph can get you into court with HEFTY fines!

Anywhere on Melville Road from the Farmingdale NYS College (just off of Route 110) to Main Street, but primarily around the Secatogue Road intersection (just before Main Street, it is the road to turn on to get to the Farmingdale Train Station), police motorcycles and cars are often waiting to check Speed, Stop signs, Red Lights, and Registration. Especially near the end of each month.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another day in the city...with the man watching your every move!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the northbound FDR drive going towards the GWB, there is a left hand exit for you to get off onto 178 st, and then a right exit to go onto a ramp leading you to the GWB. Normally where the two lanes merge there is always a cop there just parked......
I believe this guy is harmless. He's there just as a result of 9/11. Same as on the NJ side of the bridge which atually has real parking space for the cops. It's pretty hard to speed here anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21