O2 sensor replacement

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a few naive questions about replacing a O2 sensor. My check engine light went on and I had Auto Zone plug in a OBD scanner into it. It indicated that I bad a bad O2 sensor on bank #1. I am gonna guess it is the upstream one. After changing it, do I need to clear the code or will it do it itself? Also, is this sensor easy to change?
Thanks...basic, but I will take the help.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'll take you longer to crawl under the car than to change the sensor. The code should clear itself after a few drive cycles. Be sure the car is cold when you change it. I tried to change mine with the car hot and it seemed the heat had made the exhaust pipe contract a little and made it more difficult to get the old O2 sensor out. I had done it before with the car cold and its a sub 2 min. repair

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you are at Auto Zone, rent the special socket to remove the O2 sensor. You essentially buy it and later get a full refund, but if you decide to keep it, you can.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you are at Auto Zone, rent the special socket to remove the O2 sensor. You essentially buy it and later get a full refund, but if you decide to keep it, you can.

Tom... C'mon... How do you make a home-made O2 sensor removal socket?!? I've been so impressed with your other tool posts! :2tu: Really! :headbang: What's the catch to this one?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do what I did. I needed an O2 sensor for my Dakota. An open end wrench rounded the edges. A socket won't fit because of the height and the wire. Cut the wire off to use a box end wrench. Then find out there are two types of plugs for the Dakota, and of course, I had the wrong one.

The rental unit is actually three offset, slotted sockets so you can get to sensors in tight spots. It was pretty cheap, too, I think $9 for all three.

OP
OP
R

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got the rental set while I was there. When resetting the code, do I disconnect the battery or do I need the scanner to do it?

OP
OP
R

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn, you guys are right,,easy to change. I had but didn't need to tool to remove it. Couln't use it to rplace it as the new one is longer and you can't slip the wrench around it. I just put it back in with a 7/8" open end. Nowwww, how did you deterime if it was the front or rear one. The only thing the scanner said was bank 1, which I hope is the drivers side. I went with the front as the salesperson said he sell twice as many front as rears on most cars.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the code should say Bank 1/2 Sensor 1/2.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 = Driver side upstream
Bank 1 Sensor 2 = Driver side downstream
Bank 2 Sensor 1 = Passenger side upstream
Bank 2 Sensor 2 = Passenger side downstream

Someone chime in and confirm this please.

Get the OBD code# and then call Chuck with it to confirm what I said.