Odd question...where to mount a car seat anchor

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there,

First off, I dont plan on using the anchor...it's solely to pass federal inspection.

I called Dodge and there is an anchor for the GTS, but none in North america and they wont use one from another vehicle because it doesnt have specific installation instructions. Dodge told me that they heard about the federal inspection that if the anchor is in the car, and not installed...that might pass. So thats my first preferance for sure.

anyways, I bought a car seat anchor from Canadian tire. If they make me install it, where would everyone suggest? I dont really want to go drilling in my car, but if i have to than thats life.

has anyone done this? I coiuld even install it, pass the inspection and then take it out.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a GTS there are bungs welded in to provide a mounting point for the race harnesses. If these are strong enough to hold an adult at speed they should be sufficient to hold a car seat. These are behind the seat, under the plastic trim cover.

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is the LATCH system, which includes the behind-the-seat anchor for a forward facing seat ONLY (kids over 12 months old). It is in the middle of the seat back measured side-by-side. Height shouldn't be an issue, the car seats all have a long cable to use. I think in my Pacifica it was close to floor level on the seat back. My Highlander has it closer to the top of the seat. Traditional sedans have them mounted on the window ledge behind the head rest, I believe.

There is a lower hook system that is between the seat base and the back, at each corner of the seat which is used for rear-facing seats only (for the first year, in addition to the lap belt, basically) These hooks are buried (or mostly, I think I could see a little of them in the last car) out of sight.

If you can let me know which one you need, I can take pictures of my mommy-mobile. If you flatter me enough, I may clean some of the popcorn and McDonald's toys out of the way so you can actually SEE the detail before I take the pictures. Our 94 Viper has nothing that can help you in your quest.

Once the kids move to high-back boosters and no-back boosters, you just use the traditional seat belts.

HTH,
Diane

pvo_pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I brought a '98 across a few years back and you don't need the latches. It's a generic form that they use and that particular piece does not apply for this car. I got around it.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do NOT need child safety restraints (ie the anchor) for two seater vehicles. Imported our Vette last year and didn't have to worry about it, so neither should you.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice! so really i have to worry about daytime runing lights, windows having the emblem thing, and the km/h on the speedo, recall, etc. either way it looks like i will pass it no problems

thanks for the help

pvo_pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
nice! so really i have to worry about daytime runing lights, windows having the emblem thing, and the km/h on the speedo, recall, etc. either way it looks like i will pass it no problems

thanks for the help

Not sure what you are referring to about the windows having the emblem thing. KM/H is already on the speedo, nothing needed to be done there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32