Odd Spark?

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was jump starting my viper the other day, which was successful, and I had the car running at idle in my garage. I heard the sound of an electric spark, like when you accidentally touch and shock someone from too much static electricity on the ground.

I look in the engine bay, and I can see a spark coming from the car's right hand side, second spark plug from the front. It looked like it was coming from somewhere around the boot, and firing towards the engine block? It was happening over and over again, but with no pattern. Just seemed like it would fire a spark outside the boot/spark plug, towards the engine block, visible to the eye, maybe 10-15x per minute?

The car/engine still sounded fine and was running well at idle... Didn't get a chance to drive it too much, but I didn't notice any problems when driving on the street.

It's probably important to mention that I had found what looked like a little mouse **** sitting in a groove on my valve cover, but I didnt see any damage to the wires/engine bay... The mice/rats/whatever actually made their home under the SL 55 parked next to it right on top of the engine block, out of the pink panther insulation from my walls. Lovely.

Any idea what this could be? Should I just change out my wires and plugs and see if that helps?

Oh and its a 2004 vert, ~35,000 KMs, K&N intake, corsa exhaust, cat delete, SCT tune if that matters

Thanks

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Change the plugs and wires. They are probably carbon tracked. Look for a black line on the plug insulator (white part) It will look like it was drawn with a pencil.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plugs & wires. Unless the plugs have recently been done then just do the wires. Also if your jumping your battery it may be on its way to death from sulfation. Keep that sucker charged. Get a battery tender.

OP
OP
A

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll change em out.

Just got a battery tender after that final jump start... dunno why I didn't do it earlier

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to put some "dryer sheets" under your hood (if possible) .... I've heard this will deter mice from camping out.

I think I should do this to my currently stored MGC :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang