Odds of finding a low-mileage viper in 4 years?

HighlyFanatic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to any enthusiasts that can gimme an educated guess.

What are the odds of finding a fairly low-mileage (sub 10,000) Viper in about 4 years (assume 1999-2002)? I hope theres some around hopefully. My favorite has always been the Sapphire Blue Viper GTS.

I've been reading this forum far to long, I know im missing out :laugh: :usa: I'll be done optometry school in 4 yrs so till then :crazy: im hoping theres something left

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there will always be low mile cars out there, and cheaper than todays prices....some(like me) don't put many miles on their cars, can't drive 'em all......
one of my 02 Vipers has 300 miles, one has 3500 miles and my '03 only has 200....I have put quite a few miles on other Vipers in the past few years....just taking a "Viper Break" for a while and playing with other stuff....

OP
OP
H

HighlyFanatic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: of course i plan on driving it :eek:
I want a car thats been relatively untouched/unabused. Why arent miles important?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way the car was taken car of and driven is much more important in reality to the mileage.

I would take a Viper that was well maintained with higher miles, than a neglected low mileage car any day.

Vipers have established quite a reputation on this board for being reliable.

How many miles you got on the RT/10 now Chuck?

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HighlyFanatic,

I bought my 1994 when it was four years old with 31,000 miles. Except for a thermostat housing and the clutch pedal switch (for starting the car), I have had great luck mechanically. It now has 59,000+ miles. Ijust took a 500 mile roundtrip from Boston into New York state this afternoon without a care in the world. These cars are very reliable compared to most other performance cars. In my opinion, if you intend to drive it alot, let the previous owner take the depreciation hit for the mileage.
Good luck with your schooling and future entrance into Viper-dom!!!

Paul

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Still 95K. Haven't been driving it since the kid ran the stop sign and punched a hole in my rear quarter. Should be getting it fixed in a week or so. Then I restart my quest for 100K.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Still 95K. Haven't been driving it since the kid ran the stop sign and punched a hole in my rear quarter. Should be getting it fixed in a week or so. Then I restart my quest for 100K.

You can do it! :headbang:

OP
OP
H

HighlyFanatic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way the car was taken car of and driven is much more important in reality to the mileage.

I agree. Though figuring out how well a car was taken care of is a bit subjective, what would you use to determine it :)

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'll be plenty of low mileage vipers in that year range compared to your average car in that same year range. It's a performance car as well as a collectors item, so you're going to it used as everything from a high mileage daily driver, low mileage drag car (with lots of wear), or a low mileage collectors item. You really gotta consider mileage differently on a Viper than other cars, low mileage is not always better. It could have been abused in racing for those miles, or it could have such low mileage that any problems the car is going to develop haven't happened yet. Sometimes it's good the buy a Viper with moderate mileage (5k-8k miles per year, still low compared to your average car) because it's had all the recall work done and any other problems have probably already occured.

It really boils down to have well the car has been treated.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Though figuring out how well a car was taken care of is a bit subjective, what would you use to determine it :)

Bring an elder VCA member when you look at it. Buying a Viper that's been owned by VCA members will help as well, as you can get information about it from others. Carfax. Have a respected Viper Tech look at it. Make a list, check it twice.

OP
OP
H

HighlyFanatic

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bring an elder VCA member when you look at it. Buying a Viper that's been owned by VCA members will help as well, as you can get information about it from others. Carfax. Have a respected Viper Tech look at it. Make a list, check it twice.

Excellent idea, I totally overlooked that. :cool:

Ive never actually sat in/been in a Viper either, so I guess I wouldnt really know what to look for :eek: Experience does make a difference.