Official 2011 Tail of the Dragon Thread

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
********** UPDATE *************

Between current hotel reservations and online sign-ups, there are currently 36 vehicles attending. There are always several surprise or last minute comers, so expectations are in the 40+ range.

If you have not signed up online, please do it so we can get you the latest info just before the meet: http://3199996.polldaddy.com/s/viper...e-3rd-5th-2011

Schedule, Maps, General Info & Attendee List Info to be sent out THIS WEDNESDAY. We DO have some last minute changes, so stay tuned.

Some additions in the works (details Wednesday):

CHARITY AUCTION: Items are being donated by AL/TN/GA clubs, JonB, and Viper Parts of America. We will have door prizes and a variety of items up for bidding.
FRIDAY LUNCH STOP: A great tip this past weekend will potentially allow us coordinate box lunches for a Friday lunch pickup at Tellico Plains.
SATURDAY DRIVE: Potential route change on Saturday​

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is this skunked you speak of?

Just a few more days until it's road trip time! Love it.

:drive:

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canadian for wasted off margaritas. :D

Now I understand! It's too bad my margarita machine will not fit in the car to make the trip. The evening festivities would be fun, but no one would be driving the next day :D

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less than a week away! I just reserved a hotel room at the Comfort Suites hotel in Knoxville for Thursday night since it's near the ******* Barrel those of us from the north are meeting up at Friday morning. I have a 8 hour drive to Knoxville, TN coming from NW Ohio/SE Michigan. I'm not sure if anyone else is staying overnight Thursday, but here is the hotel information for the one I reserved:
Comfort Suites Knoxville - West
811 North Campbell Station Road
Knoxville, TN 37932
(865) 675-7585

Coming in on Thursday night. I expect a few "cold one's" to be awaiting! ! !

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright! Just got done changing the oil, so I'll be ready to rock and roll!
I called and found a chalet in the same neighborhood as Chad's if anyone doesn't have a room yet and is interested, let me know (or if anyone in Chad's is interested in having their own real bedroom). It's a 2 bedroom / 2 bath and is $200 total for Fri and Sat night (fees, cleaning, etc)(double checking that includes taxes as well), so that's $100 per bedroom for the whole weekend.
I haven't booked it yet, but I'm leaning that way. I know of someone who might be interested, but shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll let you know if it's still open.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright! Just got done changing the oil, so I'll be ready to rock and roll!
I called and found a chalet in the same neighborhood as Chad's if anyone doesn't have a room yet and is interested, let me know (or if anyone in Chad's is interested in having their own real bedroom). It's a 2 bedroom / 2 bath and is $200 total for Fri and Sat night (fees, cleaning, etc)(double checking that includes taxes as well), so that's $100 per bedroom for the whole weekend.
I haven't booked it yet, but I'm leaning that way. I know of someone who might be interested, but shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll let you know if it's still open.

So our floor isn't good enough for you? :D

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I could care less about sleeping on the floor, but if someone else goes in on the chalet I found, $100 isn't much more than I'd spend on a sleeping bag for your floor! lol

Plus, I'm thinking about the PITA of everybody trying to get ready with only two bathrooms. How many people are staying with you?

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
*********** FINAL UPDATE **********

Here's the itinerary of this weekend's trip. There will be a limited amount of copies available on site. If you don't want to print the entire itinerary, print just pages 1, 2, and 11.

There have been some schedule changes and the driving times were made more realistic...and the schedule is still tight! Friday is going to be a very long one for those who are driving to the meetup points that morning.

NOTE: Full Itinerary has been emailed to registered attendees and AL/TN members and removed from this forum. Here is the general schedule:

Tail of the Dragon/Smokey Mountain Run Weekend
Viper Club of America
2011 Itinerary
Friday June 3rd Knoxville or Ocoee->Tail->Pigeon Forge
9:00am Early birds begin arriving to eat, gas, meetup
10:30am LEAVING to cruise to Cherahola Market/Exxon
12:00pm Arrive Cherahola Market/Exxon, meetup with other members, get gas, food. Call ahead for box lunch pickup at Tellico Grains Bakery if desired (423) 253-6911…not much time to eat on the road!
12:45pm Cherahola Skyway to Deal’s Gap
3:15 pm Arrive at Deal's Gap, meetup with GA/SC members
3:45pm Tail of the Dragon @ Deal’s Gap, Cruise to Pigeon Forge via Foothills Pkwy 6:00pm Check-in at Country Cascades
6:45pm Leave for 7:00pm dinner reservations at Alamo Steak House
9:30pm Door Prizes and Charity Auction – Hotel Banquet room (Tentative)

Saturday June 4th Pigeon Forge->Smokies->Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge
8:00-9:45am Breakfast, car cleanup, gas
10:00am LEAVING for Mountain Cruise (Clingman's Dome, Lunch)
5:30pm Return to room 6:30pm Leave for Gatlinburg (Parade!)
7:00pm Dinner/Sightseeing/Shopping 9:30ish Return to Pigeon Forge (on your own) 9:30pm Door Prizes and Charity Auction – Hotel Banquet room (If not held Friday)

Sunday June 5th Pigeon Forge->Home
9:00am Breakfast
10:00 TBD group cruising/drive home

Some items you’ll want to bring:
Small cooler of drinks, snacks
Camera
2-way radio tuned to channel 10.0 (NOTE: Usually can borrow an extra from someone!)
Comfortable clothes for driving!

Host Hotel Info:
Country Cascades
204 Sharon Road Pigeon Forge, TN 37863 (865) 428-1194

Attachments

• Tail of the Dragon.pdf
    920.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I could care less about sleeping on the floor, but if someone else goes in on the chalet I found, $100 isn't much more than I'd spend on a sleeping bag for your floor! lol

Plus, I'm thinking about the PITA of everybody trying to get ready with only two bathrooms. How many people are staying with you?

You are/were #7. It sleeps 6, but there's a smaller sofa that you might be able to stretch out on. Kevan is stuck sharing the sofa bed with Jason, so you actually have a way more preferred spot, even if you sleep in the tub :D

I had thought of the bathrooms as well. I'm pretty sure Jason doesn't bathe regularly and there's a creek out back someone could wash up in, so we can make it work :D

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*********** FINAL UPDATE **********

Here's the itinerary of this weekend's trip. There will be a limited amount of copies available on site. If you don't want to print the entire itinerary, print just pages 1, 2, and 11.

There have been some schedule changes and the driving times were made more realistic...and the schedule is still tight! Friday is going to be a very long one for those who are driving to the meetup points that morning.

Looking at the itinerary, you have Gatlinburg is 141 miles from Pigeon Forge. Estimated travel time you have as 30 mins. I really thought PF and Gatlinburg were closer than that, but if we're gonna do it in 30 mins, that'll be the best part of the trip!!!!!!!! Everyone remember to register as organ donors before we leave!!!! :lmao::lmao:

Are you saying 1 bath a week in the "crick" isn't enough? I guess I'll have to make some changes :rolaugh:

You don't have to make many changes, just yank the Roe off, unplug cylinders 9&10, paint your car yellow and move to Canada or Margaritaville. You'll fit in just fine!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and book the chalet I found. It's $200 TOTAL, so honestly about the same as the hotel (even if it's just me that stays there) by the time you add the taxes and stuff to the hotel.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and book the chalet I found. It's $200 TOTAL, so honestly about the same as the hotel (even if it's just me that stays there) by the time you add the taxes and stuff to the hotel.

Thats a great deal, about 1/2 of what we're paying! Now Strench can drink all the margaritas he wants and not have to worry about tripping over you in the middle of the night :D

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmm...... If I switch chalet's I won't have to deal with Chad as much....

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm...... If I switch chalet's I won't have to deal with Chad as much....

You're welcome to switch, but you'll have to leave your car at Chad's. I can't have the neighbors seeing a yellow car in the driveway. I do have SOME self respect! :)

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing Fri morning. I know John (red Gen I in Chatt) is planning on running with me. Just trying to see if there is a big enough group that wants to meet somewhere in Ooltewah or Cleveland and take the Ocoee route from the south, or if there will be people passing through on 75 on the way to Knoxville. If everyone wants to go Knoxville, we can pick a meeting time and place (again in Ooltewah or Cleveland area) right off 75, so we can caravan together as a big group. I assume the GA guys will all be passing through this way whether they are going to Knoxville or not.
Just reply on here rather than sending PM's so that everyone can see what's going on.
I will shoot an email to the people on the list that Brett provided as well.

Sorry! I didn't notice the "Western Approach" meeting place in Ocoee. See y'all there!

Last edited:

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're welcome to switch, but you'll have to leave your car at Chad's. I can't have the neighbors seeing a yellow car in the driveway. I do have SOME self respect! :)

These aren't event your real neighbors!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett,

Hell of job planning all that out! That had to take some serious time!
Reading over the itinerary, the only thing I think might be a little tight is arriving at the hotel to check in at 6:00 and leave for dinner at 6:45. That's a lot of people to check in and it will have been a long, hot day in the car. I assume most people will want to grab a quick shower and change clothes before dinner. Depending on the hotel staff, it may be close to 6:30 or 6:45 before some people get to their rooms.
Other than that...:2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu:

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments...I think! It DID take a while and I have a few updates to make based on comments...I'll add to itinerary and send out to registrants. Here's some changes:

Northern Approach meeting point: 716 Campbell Station Road, Exit 373, Farragut TN 37922 ******* Barrel

Gatlinburg is a little closer than 141 miles to Pigeon Forge by a decimal point or two...

Good point on the check-in time...was so bent on accommodating group delays that I didn't push back supper...it will probably be 7:30-7:45, which is still pushing it.

Updated contact list will be published and copies brought Friday morning...people are still registering...

More info on ordering box lunches for Friday...$7.75 for sandwich/chips/cookie. Will post ordering info late tonight or tomorrow AM...it's just a convenience thing, not mandatory

Advance Scout Scherzberg should have the main drag rubber-coated for us by Friday...he's just that kinda guy!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing Fri morning. I know John (red Gen I in Chatt) is planning on running with me. Just trying to see if there is a big enough group that wants to meet somewhere in Ooltewah or Cleveland and take the Ocoee route from the south, or if there will be people passing through on 75 on the way to Knoxville. If everyone wants to go Knoxville, we can pick a meeting time and place (again in Ooltewah or Cleveland area) right off 75, so we can caravan together as a big group. I assume the GA guys will all be passing through this way whether they are going to Knoxville or not.
Just reply on here rather than sending PM's so that everyone can see what's going on.
I will shoot an email to the people on the list that Brett provided as well.

Sorry! I didn't notice the "Western Approach" meeting place in Ocoee. See y'all there!

The Ga guys are not coming thru here....they aren't even doing the Skyway. They are meeting up at Deals Gap. I will be taking the Cleveland or Athens exit and meeting up at the Exxon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32