Offroad experience in the viper.

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. Today I put my 1100th mile on my Viper, and also for the first time in these 1100 miles (in just under the one month point), lost control of the car.

I do consider myself a good driver, but I will admit that today I made a mistake. I must have been going just a bit over the speed I could handle around a local country road here, pretty sharp turn, and slightly oversteered the turn (in an attempt to stay in my lane perfectly). I should have just either 1) been going just a few miles per hour slower, or 2) let myself drift slightly into the oncoming traffic lanes and crossed my fingers noone was coming. Well, what happens is I slide over to the side of the road (there is absolutely no shoulder on this road, there just bushes immediately inches right of the road).

I hit a bush or something, tall grass and stuff, against the right side of my car. My car looked pretty dirty, and has grass stains on the rightside door, and sill, and part of the quarter panel, and part of the front fascia.

I cleaned it off at a car wash, and rubbed it down with a soft towel. Most of it all just came right off, with no scratches on the paint. The right side door has deeper scratches and mud marks on it, which I could rub out easy with a towel. What do I do? I'm guessing I need to immediately take it to be high pressure buffed. Where do I go for that, and when that doesnt work, what do I do? There is no dents on the car or anything, and everything else ok. My hood got a bit misaligned, like before this all it was perfect, and after this, its like 2 millimeters offset. This must be a weakness on Vipers because I see a ton of hoods that are just a few millimeteres off alignment wise, and now mine is one of them. I can probably get my hood adjusted at Chuck tators if I take the trip up there, since I want better exhaust on the car anyway.

Anyway guys, any advice?

Maybe if I buff, then really wax the car with like 20 coats it wont show much. LOL. Or maybe Im just too hopeful.

And guys, don't blame this accident on me being 19 years old =)

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound (part # 05954) doesn't take it out it'll have to be painted. Do yourself a favor go to a Viperdays event and learn how to drive a Viper, I bet you lifted off the gas if you woulda stayed in the gas you probably woulda held the lane.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good driver at 19? You mean to say that you think you are a good driver. At 19 only having 3 or so years driving your experience is minimal. But this is how you learn listen to Ron.

Ron,

When is the next Viperdays event on the west coast? I want to learn how to drive better, canyon carving is fun but I want to learn what to do in a what if situation.

Perhaps you can go around the track with me for a few laps and teach me.

Thanks
Russ

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ, next westcoast Viperdays isn't till the end of Jan., but www.opentrackracing.com is a mini Viperdays with maaany SoCal Viper drivers, next event Willow Springs Intl. Raceway Oct. 8th, only $125. Check out the OTR message board you'll see some familiar names, I'll make ya fast (kinka like when you blew me away in La Canada).

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Thanks I will sign up for sure, had a little spin in mine a few months ago. Ever since then I find myself tip toeing around corners and am getting tired of it, need you to get me the edge back. :cool:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why take it all the way up to Tators when you have 2 of the best viper techs in your back yard at Barbera Dodge. John Kerwin & Joe Kallas are top notch techs. They also are head crew cheifs for a team of World Challange Vipers in New Jersey.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be glad you made it out of the off road drama with what you did Chris, really!!!

That said, go out and get some track time as said and try and get into the clear coat a bit in the bad spots and pull it out with some cutting paste or wax, your choice of brands, like Ron says the 3m will work just fine.

Trick with the abrasive stuff is to step up to the level needed one attempt at a time until you pull it out, thus matching the rest of the car as best as possible.

Go in guns blazing with a heavy cutter and you'll pull out some clear coat which is near impossible to mask when the sun hits the car, different angles, etc.

Anyhow good luck, let us know how it goes!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Thanks I will sign up for sure, had a little spin in mine a few months ago. Ever since then I find myself tip toeing around corners and am getting tired of it, need you to get me the edge back"
Well, in 1100 miles, you've had two incidents. Does that tell you you are inexperienced, REGARDLESS of your age? Vipers have knocked off guys three times your age that have 500,000 miles experience in hot cars. Do what Ron says, he knows what he's talking about. And until you get some training, slow down whenever the car is not pointed in a straight line, it's clear that you do not understand power oversteer. No flame, you're one of us now, and we just don't wanna read about you in the newspaper or on the news like we have others, think about it.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Lee, the 1100 miles you refer to is Chris Oxide.

Your quote is from RussM.

You address both of them? (i.e. "You've had two incidents-")

OP
OP
C

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee,

I think you were reading someone elses bad experience, the only bad one I've had it posted up above.

This is my first accident in 3 years driving. I know its still bad, but I really do consider myself on the safer side of 19 year old drivers. I hate when someone meets me and just figure I'm a bad driver off the bat referencing my age.

Today I screwed up, and I know I'm not as good of a driver as I thought I was. However, I will be determined to redeem myself and "steer" away from future accidents so to speak. Another couple of years and you'll catch me saying I'm a good driver again. Until then, I'll just be a "careful driver".

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh heh, oh well, at least that "first one" was an easy one for you. At 19 I got my pride knocked down a few notches when I spun my dad's truck into a fence. That first humbling one is all it takes. I'm 25, and because of that first one six years ago, I still realise I know nothing :)

Good thing is, you got the right attitude "on the safer side of 19 year old drivers". So many guys my age profess to be a Schumacher in waiting. Tools. Yeah, 0.0001% of the ones who say it might be right, but the rest are just over proud. A smart person loses the pride at that first accident. Get some track time - teaches you 10 times as much as you will learn in a year, in one day.

With a car as expensive as, and with as nice paint as the Viper, I would ask around and find out who is the best body shop in your area. They will probably buff it out for $100... what's a lousy hundred compared to possibly screwing up a Viper? I always let the professionals do it on an exotic.. saving $100 just isn't worth it. The Viper techs recommended above should be able to realign your hood no problems.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome to the Off-Road Racing chapter of the VCA. I joined it on 8/20/03 and I am proud to be a member! I hit a slick patch of concrete on an exit ramp (upon later examination, it was like glass! reflection and all!!!) and did a 180, while sliding off the road between two mile-markers sideways, followed by rolling backwards up a hill. It turned out that by an Act of God I missed the one marker by less than a foot with the back bumper, and did no other damage to the car other than a dime-sized scuff on the bottom of the driver side front bumper. Keep in mind, I somehow accomplished all this within the space of a 1-lane exit, with a concrete barrier on the left, and a row of mile markers and a slight ditch on the right.

I plan on resigning my position in the O.R. VCA ASAP. I suggest you do the same...lol.

Overall, I feel I handled the situation well. I tend to live on the edge in the car, and I went for almost 2 years, and over 10,000 miles before incident. I was due for something to happen I guess, but I thank my lucky stars that damage was minimal, while at the same time mimmicking a much worse accident- it gives me more to learn from.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll make ya fast (kinka like when you blew me away in La Canada).

Would that have been on Angeles Crest Highway? I used to live in La Canada and have raced up ACH many times (although never in a Viper).

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh heh, oh well, at least that "first one" was an easy one for you. At 19 I got my pride knocked down a few notches when I spun my dad's truck into a fence.
Yeah, try flipping your car on a road(not off the road) at age 17 while answering your cell phone in the rain. Didn't happen to me, but a girl in my high school, luckily she got out of it with only a few scratches.

Mine, was when I hydroplaned going the speed limit in the rain in my Taurus. Ego wasn't hurt, because I don't inflate mine. I rear ended a Chevy Astro. Funny thing is that he was the "pace car" keeping everyone going 25 MPH in a 35, in the left freakin lane. I told him right in front of the officer that I didn't think he should be in the left lane, especially when going below the speed limit. The officer gave a smirk. Everything worked out though, as I didn't have to go through insurance. But in its place, I had to buy him the seat I "broke" in the accident for the guy. lol

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about intentional off-roading, I've done that plenty in my Viper ;)

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll make ya fast (kinka like when you blew me away in La Canada).

Would that have been on Angeles Crest Highway? I used to live in La Canada and have raced up ACH many times (although never in a Viper).

Yes it was, I had my Viper 2 weeks and wasn't familiar with it, it was a 200 car sports car run, I ran with Russ but decided to err on the side of caution and slow down. That trip got me into road racing as to hone my skills, it worked.

No one is condescending to our 19 year old friend many people 3 times your age have done this, the Viper is probably THE hardest car to drive with all the HP and TQ and no traction gismos. The reality of it is you coulda avoided your incident with the right instruction, it is a common mistake to lift, I believe everyone should go to a road race track at least once with a good instructor THAT KNOWS THE VIPER and its dynamics, it could save your life.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"...a bit over the speed I could handle...."

If you are in the habbit of driving your Viper anywhere near what IT can handle, you are either very talented or crazy.

First of all, when driving on public roads you have to maintain an "emergency maneuver kitty" incase some BOZO has his 5th wheel motor home stuck broadside across both lanes of a blind corner because some yahoo passerby tried to help out and back the rig down the hill onto the side of the road because the transmission just blew out of the tow vehicle - and instead, jack-knifed it across both lanes.....

Don't worry, you WILL have to make at the limit emergency maneuvers if you drive at 5/10's on public roads. If you have your kitty, you will have exciting stories to tell about how you avoided disaster. (Did you think I MADE UP that BOZO story!)

A Viper at 19 .... you might as well have a SuperBike.

Further, all the event free track time in the world will not prepare you for spin recovery. One of the biggest problems with Viper Days and other track events is that you are not supposed to lose control of your car. To the contrary, what must be experienced IS loss of control and what to do about it.

Seriously, the best advice: "Start to spin, both feet in" is the best. If you try to catch a spin and the car snaps, you can go off the other side of the road and into a 200 ft ravine and die.

Also, LIFTING can be DEADLY! But F1 drivers sometimes screw that up too.... In many cases, ATTACKING with the throttle is the solution! Ahhhhhh... but knowing when....

Tom

PS. What is really bad is that you should know how to drive in the snow since you live in PA. I'm sure you've spent hours in parking lots sliding your car around to learn how to control it.

PPS. And while this may not relate to you, there is a tendancy for young people to think cars are like video games. All I can say about that is... GAME OVER!

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is an amazing car and can do amazing things, but when near the limit, it will be traveling so quickly that it will bite hard!

Don't think you are a good driver because you have not had any accidents and your car goes fast. I have made that mistake and so have many others.

Take it to a driver's education track event or, better yet, go to driving school. I learn something every single time I get behind the wheel of a car on track and the experience is very humbling.

If you think you are an excellent driver - and share that sentiment with others - IMO it means you aren't (unless you have a pro F1 ride). When I get on track with a guy who tells me how good he is, I am the most worried.

It is commendable that you got to 19 without an accident! I sure didn't! Glad to hear you have learned from the expereince, but go to school, you'll love it!

mayo_pasco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Talking about offroad adventures make sure you do a realignment check on your wheels before going back to normal driving again. Even the slightest offroading can offset them.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PPS. And while this may not relate to you, there is a tendancy for young people to think cars are like video games. All I can say about that is... GAME OVER!
Teens do have the tendency to think that we're invincible. I'm not saying that Chris thinks that, just that most teens/young adults do.

If you think you are an excellent driver - and share that sentiment with others - IMO it means you aren't (unless you have a pro F1 ride). When I get on track with a guy who tells me how good he is, I am the most worried.
If you ever hear me say I'm an excellent driver, I mean it in a way compared to the other drivers in my age group. I do take some bigger risks (viewed as such by some) when I drive, but you do everytime you get behind the wheel, no matter who you are. I usually push the car I drive when I'm alone in the car and alone on the road.
Not referring to Chris here- If I drove the same way I do in my dad's Mazda or my mom's Saturn as I did in a Viper, I guarantee I would not be talking to you today. The Viper is a different beast with it's power and ass-kicking ability. It's like comparing squirrels to a cheetah.

Driving schools and crash/spin safety courses are very important IMO. I'd recommend them, even though I've never attended one, unfortunatly. Believe me, I'd love to, it would be a fun education, the best kind of learning, I think.