Offroading in the Viper - K&N cleaning questions

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was recently getting some offroad driving with the viper, and there was a fair amount of kicked-up particles, so I was wondering if people had some tips on telling when the K&N was ready for cleaning and going about the actual cleaning?

(Between this, and talking about luggage racks and towing trailers, some of you may be confused, but no, I didn't get the Viper SUV ;) )

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
K+Ns flow a LOT more than stock, and logic tells us that some abrasives can get thru. Anytime you flow more air, you flow more abrasives..... Early on, (93-95?) Team Viper even voiced some concerns that owners would NOT be vigilant on K+Ns.
later, They installed them on ACR only, since "track rats" are usually the most vigilant.

I suggest having TWO sets! (Cheap Insurance) Install a clean one anytime you go agricultural, get in a dust-sandstorm, etc. or every 5000 miles. Then, at your leisure, clean and re-oil the "used" set, and keep it in the box. Re-oiling and reinstalling freshly-oiled K+Ns is NOT as good as letting them rest at least 24 hours after oiling........so the spare set makes you do it right...........

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ken, are you coming to the IL VCA meeting on Wednesday? I wanna see that blue/white RT!!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
I keep an extra set of K&Ns for the quick swap out.

Hey Slaughter, will you take me Viper off-roading when I come up there next week?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just might have to do that!

The go-carts and 4-wheelers running around seemed to be more oriented for that activity than me...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep an extra set of K&Ns for the quick swap out.

Hey Slaughter, will you take me Viper off-roading when I come up there next week?

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper off-roading.. hmm with our ground clearance thats just driving in the grass in my front yard!
bounce.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960