Oil change intervals

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My viper gets about 3k miles a year put on it and probably 4 oil changes for the same period. This has been going on since it was new, and I am seriously starting to wonder why.

Tom made a very informative post a while back stating the oil shelf life is about 5 years, and if that is the case why are we told to change our oil every 3k miles or 3 months? Besides the obvious profit for the oil/filter manufacturers.

Does oil out of the bottle(inside crankcase) break down much quicker? Or what?:confused:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always do my vipers engine at 2500 miles or so. on my jeep and durango, I go to 3000-3500. its cheap insurance if ya ask me

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe my Gen2 manual says 3K miles OR 6 months. Whichever comes first. Check your owner's manual maint guide. Shelf life (sealed container) and crankcase life (open container) are not the same.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New oil in a bottle is good for about 5 years or so, because it is new and stored at room temperature etc. Oil in your engine is used and being heated then cooled etc, its is basically working and it breaks down, and in the process gets dirty and apparently can start to effect the internals if left to long. That is why they recomend you change your oil when puting your cars away for the winter for storage and even changing it again in the spring even though you didn't use your car.

I just change my oil every spring, once a year, I only drive the car from May - October and put only about 400-500 miles on the car a year.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change oil in my Viper (Mobil1 15-50) about once a year. It matters not whether I've been to the track half a dozen times, driven 3000 road miles, or let it sit most of the time. I've done enough oil sampling over 11 years and 29,500 miles (probably 5000 on the track) to know what's right.

I'm harder on brakes, ball joint boots and wheel bearings than engine oil. If there's a lubricant that needs extra attention, I'd say it's in the differential. Low capacity and high heat/loading.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
72,000 Viper miles in 7 years. Tracks / autocrosses once or twice a year. Lots of 'spirited' driving -- like all of us. I change between 5 and 10,000 miles... no matter where that falls in the year. I have stored the car with 3,000 mile oil...run a few thousand the next year (with track time) before changing. Oil analysis every time. Oil is always good to go longer. To me it has nothing to do with saving a few bucks........it's just not necessary to change it all the time if your're using a quality oil and analysis proves there's no need to change it more frequently.

Steve

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUESTION :

I have had my Viper almost 2 years now and had the oil changed right before I bought it. Since purchasing it I have not changed the oil, it's been driven maybe 3,000 miles on/off because of deployment so I only drive it for maybe 2 weeks at a time tops each time. The oil looks very clean, BUT it's been 2 years and 3K miles since it's been changed.

SO my question is, should I change it when I return home? I am going on a road trip when i get back, approximately 8 hour road trip 515 miles each way. Shoould I change the oil BEFORE or AFTER the road trip? I'm thinking before maybe, what do you guys think?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave any oil in more than a year even though it may test out all right. Time for a change. Get it analyzed for a little snapshot of what's inside. You'll probably be driving a little more now. Start fresh

Steve

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I generally change at the end of the year and once during the summer. I average around 6k so that is about 3k per change. But I do not watch closely rather picking a convenient time in mid summer. Just did it yesterday as I was changing out the oil pan for a comp coupe pan and pick-up. As everyone indicates the oil is always in excellent condition when removed, but it is cheap insurance. I have about 15 gallons of it in my oil changer right now :)

Remember though if you are a show and shine type you may need more frequent changes due to not heating the oil up and evaporating some of the contaminants. Not purely a time or mileage question.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil is used up by heat, water, and combustion by products. High temperatures are handled by synthetic oil or anti-oxidants, so it's not a big issue. Water is introduced via combustion or multiple short trips. Low mileage cars are typically short trip cars, hence the recommendation has been to change at 3-6 month intervals to preclude moisture build up. Blow by is the effect engine oil has to deal with that gear oils, ATF, power steering, etc, do not. This is really why you have to change the engine oil more frequently than any other lubricant. Combustion is related to fuel used; therefore you can consider changing the oil every 200 or 300 gallons of fuel used. A 5000 mile drain at 15 MPG is 333 gallons. Fuel used is the basis for many of the dashboard reminders, so there is plenty of logic and testing behind this.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the manufacturer. READ the owner's manual. The answer from the people that designed the car is in THERE.

Or quit asking us.
Well if I wasen't deployed 5000 miles from my Viper and I had the owners manual in front of me, maybe i'd read it. But since this is a forum and it's MEANT to ask questions. I think i'll ask all the questions I like. Thanks for being a smartass though.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed it just last week, and I use a Fram PH16 or the DG16 that I bought at Wal-Mart. I bought Castrol 10W-40 fully synthetic motor oil and I swear it took nearly 9 quarts to fill it to within a 1/16th of an inch of full on the dipstick.

I also used fully synthetic grease at all 12 grease fittings to complete the job.

Oh yeah, I change my oil once at the beginning of the spring, drive about 3500-4000 miles, then change it again to sit through the winter with weekly startups and drives on those nice winter days....I haven't bought a battery tender yet.

Regards,
Aaron

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed it just last week, and I use a Fram PH16 or the DG16 that I bought at Wal-Mart. I bought Castrol 10W-40 fully synthetic motor oil and I swear it took nearly 9 quarts to fill it to within a 1/16th of an inch of full on the dipstick.

I also used fully synthetic grease at all 12 grease fittings to complete the job.

Oh yeah, I change my oil once at the beginning of the spring, drive about 3500-4000 miles, then change it again to sit through the winter with weekly startups and drives on those nice winter days....I haven't bought a battery tender yet.

Regards,
Aaron
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it, looks like thats what i'll get then.

An 02 and a 99 have the same filter correct?

When you talk about the grease fitting, what are you referring to? where are they all located? Do you need a grease gun?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the manufacturer. READ the owner's manual. The answer from the people that designed the car is in THERE.

Or quit asking us.

BS, they not only have to cover their A$$ but also to take in consideration the worst case scenario, a few miles a day/week with the oil never reaching optimum temperature (over 212* to boil moisture out) and the car being parked outside with all the condensation issues that goes with it.

Park your car inside, let the oil reach optimum temperature and this maximum 6 months rule simply do not make sense and is just a waste of time and money .

Luc 00GTS

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD VPR,

Okay, here's where you won't be that happy with me, to realistically grease each grease fitting you've got to remove each wheel, (I cleaned the inside of each rim while I had them off, so buy another bottle of wheel cleaner) then after you've purchased a grease gun and loaded the synthetic tube of grease into it (try not to wear the entire tube), you'll find three grease fittings at each wheel.

One on the upper and lower control arm and one on the control arm...making three. Remember don't overfill the fittings...they should be evenly filled (you can sorta squeeze them) and be the firmness of an over-ripe grape. (sorry that's the best description I can think of right now)

Yes, the PH16 or DG16 is the same for a 99 vs an 02.

I recommend jacking the car on a flat surface and having 4 jackstands for this task.

Regards,
Aaron

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AFL in NJ ~
Thanks again for the info. That sounds easy enough, I'll actually be using a lift at my buddy's shop so it'll be a piece of cake to pull off the wheels and grease her up. Thanks again!

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my dad bought his 68 charger my brother and I decided to have the oil changed at either 2,000 miles or every 5 months. The engine was never overhauled in over 200,000 miles on it. When I restored the car all I had to do was head work. (ported, is faster and stronger than it ever has been) I change the oil on my 93 viper every April, August,and October, store it over the winter. Mobil 10W 30, synthetic, Mobil filter. Change it myself. I can't believe you would not take care of such a fine peace of machinery.

Eldon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or quit asking us.[/quote]

It's rather ballsy for someone to be telling others to "quit asking us" when this forum belongs to everyone, especially when the someone doing this is only an enthusiast
and not a member. Get Real!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or quit asking us.

It's rather ballsy for someone to be telling others to "quit asking us" when this forum belongs to everyone, especially when the someone doing this is only an enthusiast
and not a member. Get Real![/QUOTE]

I own and drive a Viper just like the rest of you. And find it amazing that people either don't read the instructions that come with the car, or decide they are useless. Sooooooo, I can write what I want, and you can write what you want. Just crack open another Bud. You'll forget about all of this. I will. :crazy2:

And how is that guy going to do all of that work to his car deployed 5000 miles away from it??? :crazy2:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and not a member. Get Real!

I own and drive a Viper just like the rest of you. And find it amazing that people either don't read the instructions that come with the car, or decide they are useless. Sooooooo, I can write what I want, and you can write what you want. Just crack open another Bud. You'll forget about all of this. I will. :crazy2:

And how is that guy going to do all of that work to his car deployed 5000 miles away from it??? :crazy2:[/quote]

Your not even a VCA member, I am a paying member here! THIS is a forum INTENDED for asking questions. SO GUESS WHAT? Everyone here is going to ask questions!
As for doing ALL that work, I intend to do it when I return to the states. I fly back Thursday. Like I said IF I had a damn owners manual here i'd read it. I'm a Gateway VCA"Paying" member so If I want to ask a damn question I will.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok another question......

What type of oil should I run and what filter. Where do I buy the filter?
How many quarts does it hold?

Wal-Mart has the best price on the Mobil 1 oil. 5 gallon jugs for like $23 each here in Texas. Found the Mobil 1 filter at Auto Zone for $10 each. In stock, on the shelf, both items.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you guys, looks like i'll get the oil from Wal-Mart and the filter from Auto Zone!

Check at Walmart for the filter too! Our local walmart has the mobil 1 filter for 9.88 and the stock mopar filter for 4.97 (same as jeep 5.7L). Unless you just feel like making two stops :D