Oil Change Question

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The local Dodge dealer where I live does not have a Viper tech, but the service department says they do oil changes for Vipers. I usually go to the Viper-tech dealership, but I have been very busy as of late and don't really have the time to make the 70 mile trip to Vegas. Thus, my question. Does anything particular have to be done during the oil change? That is, like torquing down the oil pan bolts, etc.? I know there is a special filter, which they told me they have, but I am not sure if there is anything else that is needed or required. It's a dumb question I know, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front and rear grease joints. This should be done at least once a year.
I would make an appointment to be there while the do the work so they don't go for a "test drive". That is not part of the oil change.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with FastDan on the Test drive stuff. Note the mileage and make sure they know you did!! or be there. I own a repair shop, have 2 Vipers and caught 1 of my Techs in a burn out in my RT road testing it after a cooling system flush. ( he isn't employeed by me anymore) Even thouh unemployment office didn't aree. LOL. To answer the question. There is nothing special about a Viper on service. Check all the fluid levels, lube the fittings and use the Mobil 1 they recommend. These cars are so simple compared to Dodges other products I can't figure out all the Hype on working on them when in stock configuration.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Without a shred of insincerity, did you ever consider changing your Viper's oil yourself? Quite honestly, it is a straightforward operation if you have the means to get the front end up enough to get under your car. That way you would save the 70 mile trip, know that it was done perfectly (the right oil/filter), grease our own joints and see what else is going on down there. I change mine and it takes minutes to do. You might even find it...well...rewarding.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take mine to the local quik lube, which has a pit vice lift...plenty of clearance so no worries. I buy my own oil & filter and they change it and lube it for $20 and I get to watch them the entire time - can't beat it and my hands don't get dirty! Actually, a lot of local exotic owners go there as well.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperbob,
I have a question for you. I own a 97GTS and it is IMPOSSIBLE for me, at least, to lube my Viper completely without removing all of the wheels. Does your Quik Lube do that for you for $20? Just wondering.....Doc

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bring mine to Jiffy Lube w/ oil and filter from Wal-mart and for around $20 I get to watch and the car does not have to be lifted they have pits. Takes about 20 minutes

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you take it to the local Dodge dealer, make sure YOU TELL THEM the right amount of oil that goes in. Since it varies from year to year, the inexperienced techs might make assumptions.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take mine to the local quik lube, which has a pit vice lift...plenty of clearance so no worries. I buy my own oil & filter and they change it and lube it for $20 and I get to watch them the entire time - can't beat it and my hands don't get dirty! Actually, a lot of local exotic owners go there as well.

yehp, I do the same thing, and I don't have to bother with the oil disposal.

I always go down below and check out the underside of my car.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, there must be something wrong with me or my Viper. I have a 4 post lift in my shop and there is no way I can lube all of those grease fittings without removing the wheels. Believe me I tried because I am lazy and thought that I could do it without removing the wheels. Are you guys(and gals) really getting complete lube service without removing the wheels. PLEASE tell me how to do it and I will be eternally grateful.....Doc

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st time in w/ my ACR to the local Dodge dealer for a change resulted w/ a lot girl moving the car (only Viper techs are supposed to) & 2 qts low even though I supplied the oil. Had to recover the 2 unused qts.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of all the cars I've owned. The viper is the easiest one, to change the oil in.. 2 Mobil 1 5qt.jugs(for 2001's),a Mopar filter, and about 20 minues... This is a DIY job, even for the most novice mechanic.. I do it right in my garage..

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I change my oil myself too...my question is how do you guys get the old filter off without spilling oil everywhere. I haven't figured that out yet!!

gt40doc...I take the wheels off too. I don't see any other way!!

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take mine to the dodge dealer where only the viper tech touches it. I've determined he still doesn't grease it since they don't remove the wheels, great deal for $140 CDN!
I am replacing those ******* with angled ones and I'll just do it myself since the wheels won't have to be removed then.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change my oil myself too...my question is how do you guys get the old filter off without spilling oil everywhere. I haven't figured that out yet!!

That's one of the reasons I go to the Quick Lube. For $10, I have them remove the filter (messy part) and the drain plug, ...then I basically do all the rest myself and get to check the car over from underneath standing upright. It's $10 dollars very well spent.

Steve

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just let it spill a little bit (let the filter drain first though). wipes right up. what could it possibly hurt??

you think the Viper techs are worried about it? :laugh:

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This takes a little longer, but what I do, is stab a hole in the bottom of the filter :shocked: and wait a bit.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't really mind the oil spilling everywhere, but then it takes a couple of days, even if you wipe it up, to stop dripping, and that leaves me nervous that I didn't tighten everything up all the way...its just so hard to get my arm, and hand up in there to get the darn thing out without tipping it and oil going everywhere.

the baggy trick might just work, i'll try that next time. thanks madduc

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey dan

how far are you from sacramento...I see you are in nor cal...i will be heading there soon...i usually visit family there in february...they actually live in carmichael ca...is that close...i would love to see the panoz when i'm out there!

I actually almost bought a panoz alv roadster instead of the viper...but there was no warranty on the car eventhough it was brand new...and i have heard parts and labor on one of those are expensive...so i went with my viper...way more practical!!!

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey CanadianViperGTS, I will be intrested in knowing if a grease fitting change allows you to fully lube your Viper with the wheels in place. It didn't appear to me that there was enough room, but maybe. If I were to guess, I think that these "lube pits" are lubing the accessible grease fittings and "blowing off" the inaccessible ones(upper and lower A arms). If someone has figured out HOW to lube(completely)a Viper without removing the wheels, PLEASE let me know. At my house, on my lift, it is impossible!!

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only owned the car for a year, but the prior owner always took it to the dodge dealer it was purchased at. Before I parked it for the winter I did the oil change and realized that the ******* behind the tires were dry and you can tell they never bothered with them. My father, who is a mechanic, said it's a simple fix to just replace the ******* with angled ones and then you can easily get the grease gun in there.
The car is parked till spring so I can't confirm it yet, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey CanadianViperGTS, I will be intrested in knowing if a grease fitting change allows you to fully lube your Viper with the wheels in place. It didn't appear to me that there was enough room, but maybe. If I were to guess, I think that these "lube pits" are lubing the accessible grease fittings and "blowing off" the inaccessible ones(upper and lower A arms). If someone has figured out HOW to lube(completely)a Viper without removing the wheels, PLEASE let me know. At my house, on my lift, it is impossible!!

With some wheels (2000), you can go in from the outside through the wheel. With an automatic greaser, it's not too bad....with a hand pumper you need more hands.

Steve

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
Again, I must be missing something. I just went out into the shop to look and looking through my wheels(97GTS), there is nothing but brake rotor. I even tried to feel behind the rotors to see if I could feel the grease fittings....No luck. On my car, the wheel/tire is so close to the A arm fittings that I don't see how one could grease them even with 90 degree fittings. maybe we should ask the WIZ as he has all knowledge!! I really believe, at least on a 97 GTS,that the Lube Pits and dealers are lubing only the accessable fittings. You folks may want to check that and be sure that your complete Viper is being lubed....Doc

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is easy, Insert a piece of cardboard or even a lawn bag between the frame and filter. When it drips have it angled slightly, it will drain right into pan. Throw away bag.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stand corrected!! I just spent some time with my Viper up on the rack. The lower ball joint fitting is easy to get to especially if it is at a right angle pointing toward the opposite wheel. The upper ball joint on the front is the tough one. I see where Steve is going with this.If I remove the front wheels and put 90 degree fittings in and point them correctly(toward the outside of the wheel) I think that I might be able to reach it with a grease gun. I am going to give it a try. I didn't check the rears, but will.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
Again, I must be missing something. I just went out into the shop to look and looking through my wheels(97GTS), there is nothing but brake rotor. I even tried to feel behind the rotors to see if I could feel the grease fittings....No luck. On my car, the wheel/tire is so close to the A arm fittings that I don't see how one could grease them even with 90 degree fittings. maybe we should ask the WIZ as he has all knowledge!! I really believe, at least on a 97 GTS,that the Lube Pits and dealers are lubing only the accessable fittings. You folks may want to check that and be sure that your complete Viper is being lubed....Doc

Doc,

I guess I didn't actually see this done and am therefore stating what my mechanic told me. He said he was able to somehow get through from the outside on our 2000. I believe him as he is a personal friend and has done work on my stuff for over 20 years. I only had this done by an outside source once in 64,000 miles. I have removed the wheels and done it myself every other time. I've never had a quick lube place grease our car. I have found 10,000 miles / or once a year to be almost too much. 3-4 pumps once a year finds a lot of new looking grease on the inside of the wheels and suspension parts after a couple hundred miles. As there is very little extreme weather to deal with for most Vipers, a good synthetic grease should last longer.

Steve

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
Do you think that "Lube Pits" are lubing those upper ball joints on the front and rear? I don't! I am going to give it a try(remember the lazy part) and will report my findings. I agree that it is easy to use too much grease which makes a mess and accomplishes nothing....Doc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang