Oil Change - Quickie Lube?

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone out here simply take their car to one of these 10 minute lube places for an oil/filter change. Seems safer there where you can watch them rather than taking it to Dodge and leaving it all day.

If so, do these places carry the correct filters or do you have to bring one with you.

Thanks!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i do it that way.
ever since i got the car.
my oil has been changed at 200, 1300,3000
i take it to a place locally called no bull oil change
first make sure they have done a viper before!!!
second make sure you clear the rails over the pit.
(i clear no problem)
my car uses 10 quarts.
so i buy 2; 5 qt containers from walmart usually $17 each of mobil 1 get a mobil 1 filter for $9 from autozone part #2004

take it over and for $15 they change it... i watch them.. make sure they prefill the filter and so far ( knock on wood) no problems!!!
and the guys there love me bringing it in.. they say it breaks up the day seeing that they usually change oil on neons...

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the local quick lube. They charge $10. I bring my own 'stuff.' I go in the pit and put the filter on myself. Works great. Saves getting rid of 9-10 qts. of oil, lots of time, and a mess on my garage floor.

Steve

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm coming up on my first oil change and I planned to do it myself. One problem, the ramps I own will scrape the front fascia, thus cannot ramp the car. I refuse to put a standard jack under the car due to the hospital emergency room stories of people getting crushed when the car came down off the jack and/or jack stands. Rather than take it to a Jiffy Lube, you might consider a shop that has a lift and is willing to do the change while you wait. Another detail is the type of oil used. Not all places have Mobil 1 synthetic and I try to stick with the factory recommendation.

nutsRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go to my local Quikie-lube for my oil changes. I know the kids that work there, all responsible, and they do a fine job. I bring my own oil/filter and I watch their work.I go into the pits and inspect the underside of the car. It is like going into the pits on the track, they all stop work and check my tire pressure all fluid levels and do a quick wipe down and I am out of there in minimum time. I pay $20 and I usually throw in a tip..

Reaction score
I go to Pennzoil Lube in Socal. They supply the Mobil One (yes Mobil One), and my total costs are $56.00. I get to watch and it's over in one half hour. If they are in your area, give them a call to check it out.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take my snake to my local Oil Express. The stock the 15-50 Mobil-1 and the Mobil-1 oil filter just for me. Total cost is $78 and I get to go under the car and have a look around every time. It is always a fun time. All other work in the shop stops while I'm there and they take real good care of her...

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time I took my Viper to Barbera Dodge they charged me
$130 !!!!! I quess next time I'll look for one of those Jiffy lubes. $60 times about the 5 times I change the oil in my Viper
adds to more money I have to spend with Jon B.

Fast Eddie

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than clearance underneath the Viper is as easy or easier to change the oil than most cars. Should me no more of a problem at a Jiffy lube than any car as long as they know how much oil to put in. It is very easy to do yourself by just driving the car up on ramps made from two stacked 2x10s. This gives just enough room to get a pan under it and to get to the drain plug.
Personally I would not trust anyone myself. You can change it yourself in the time it takes to drive to and from the dealer, let alone sitting around in the waiting room.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have the ramps to do it here (neighborhood association won't let you anyway) and my first oil change at the dealer was $110. Have since been buying ten quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter and taking it over to the Valvoline Quick Lube. They are thrilled to do it for me and even did it for free a couple times (otherwise under $20). They do enough oil changes there that I am comfortable that they can figure out how to thread on the oil filter and put the drain plug back in properly.

I don't have them do anything else to the car (grease, etc.), although I did have them change the rear end fluid once. This was after a dealer forgot to add the limited slip additive and I got that nasty clunking on corners. They do it just fine and I can get it done whenever I want to and not worry about scheduling it two weeks in advance.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas