oil change

ViprVnm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I've hit 3000 miles and its oil change time on my 2004 Viper. How many say do it yourself and how many say take it somewhere for the oil change???? Any recommendations on where to take it in the Redondo Beach/Torrance area? I'm willing to travel a while to have it done right. OR any tips on doing it myself?? How do I get the viper up on ramps or whatever without scratching?

Comments appreciated.
Jim :usa:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, it's an oil change. You shouldn't have to travel more than a few blocks to have it done right. It's pretty minor surgery.

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IT's your typically oil change. However, it is VERY VERY low. The jack from costco for $120 will go lower. I just did mine, and it was very simple job.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Keep in mind you want to go with the 0-40 Mobil 1 now recommended by the SRT folks. You might try a local Jiffy Lube, especially if it is one where you can drive over a pit. Amazingly alot of folks have found they can take in their own oil and filter to some of these shops as they like to tell their customers they work on Vipers. No lifts, no jacks, and if they charge you $20 to do it, it is well worth it.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually, even better , take your car over to The Viper Shop ( DC Performance ) in LA and Dan Cragin will do it for a very reasonable price and you will have a knowledgeable source for Viper upgrades, accessories, and the like.

1-310-841-6996

3370 S.Livonia Ave. :2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are thinking of taking it to a Dodge dealer, be sure they have a trained ViperTech working on your car, even for an oilchange. There are lots of things under the car that can benefit from a trained pair of eyes. Little things that the Viper Tech will know to check out. Expect $100.00 bill.

I second the opinion of Bill to contact the ViperShop in Santa Monica area. They are fantastic, and Dan Cragin has many years servicing Vipers. His knowledge base for these cars us priceless.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do choose to do-it-yourself it is very easy. All you need is a drain plug wrench, filter wrench and drain pan. I do all my own. To get it up to height (before I had my lift, see picture gallery)I built a pair of ramps from 2 x 10's; staggered and stacked four high. The bottom one is 48" long, then 38", 28", and the top one 18". Nail a 2 x 4 across the end of the top one to act as a tire bump. This raises your car 6" but is enough to get the job done. Not even the GT2 (lowest of them) scrapes anything. Like Paul said however, you don't get the trained eye of a tech but you do know the drain plug is put back in and tightened:)

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I brought the oil and filter to a jiffy lube and watched them like a hawk. They charged $20 as mentioned above.

I'm thinking i should of bought 0-40 now? :eek:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Easy job. Many ways to do it. I do all my own oil changes and use jacks and ramps. You can buy the low racing style jacks at Harbor Freight. Two will do you. Driving up on the ramps can be a bit tricky, but it's possible. I use the jacks to put the front on the plastic ramps with a built in stop and then block the rears.

Buy the Mopar oil filter. My Viper shop recommends Mobil1 15w50, so that's what I use. Mine took 10.5 quarts stock. Now it's a bit more with the Paxton.

Good luck,

Dan

Good luck

SNAKEPILOT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's the 0-40W now recommended for 03/04 cars also? (no supercharger)
I can't think of any disadvantage, but I would like to know if anyone has the "official" answer from Dodge.
Thanks!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, the 15W50 Mobil 1 was recommended due to the addition of the Paxton.