Oil Comsumption

sleepersn95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm burning about 2 quarts every 1000 or so miles in my 2001 gts? There is approx. 3000 miles on it right now. The dipstick marker is always at the last line at the bottom of the safe area.
I already had the oil changed. Should I be concerned and if so who is the best warrenty dealer/viper tech in MD/VA area.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I too had excessive oil consumption, 2 quarts in 600 miles @ 1,400 miles. While Dodge ultimately was willing to pull the valve covers to check for missing valve stem seals, I figured I'd seriously document the usage before opening up the motor. I did this by first changing the oil and filling it exactly to the fill mark, running the the engine a bit and the next morning topped it off again. Then I used a dial caliper to measure the drop over time. I always measure the morning after use, so any thermal or oil cooler drainage variances were eliminated. I logged this in an Excel spreadsheet and used a factor of 0.332 inch = 1 quart of usage.

In my case, the consumption improved from a measured 1 quart per 800 miles @ 2,500 miles to a current 1 quart per 3,000 miles @ 4,700 miles. Wasn't a straight linear improvement, but by averaging 14 data points I feel pretty good that it was a break-in issue for me rather than a mechanical problem.

This process will probably expedite a repair if there is an issue as Dodge was going to have to do a similar process before they'd authorize a rebuild.

Good Luck</FONT f>

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definitely bring it in.
I have ahd both a 98 and a 2001 Viper. Purhcased them NEW! Neither has ever burned a drop of oil during break in and afterward.....

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
2001 has eutretic cast pistons (so do 2000 )...1999 and prior years are forged. One expects early oil consumption at first...seems to me yours is a little high for milage. Worth checking!! I would recommend a visit to Viper tech/zone rep SOON!!!!

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to a dealer and tell them the problem. They should run an oil consumption test. They will need to raise the car and document that there are no leaks. They should then make sure the level is clean and full. They should have you drive the car until the level is one qt. low. Then you'll have to go back in and get the mileage documented again. Then they'll know how far you went in 1 qt. They also may seal the drain plug and filter to make sure it wasn't tamperd with. Notice I say "should". Some dealers are different, but that's basically our procedure.dj

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II engines have Forged alum. pistons. These pistons require much more clearance when the engine is cold than cast alum. pistons do. Because of this, they will be more likely to use a "little" amount of oil. The amount will be more if the engine sees a lot of cold start-ups compared to warm running time. My 2000 used 2 qts in 800 miles, then tapered off. Just a thought because some Vipers get "showed off" in the garage quit often and when started, they do not actually see warm running conditions.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Art

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS