Oil cooler line change help

Hav One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my oil cooler lines because of a leak. The service manual makes it seem pretty straight forward except needing a special tool to remove it from the cooler. Has anybody replaced these without a special tool? Or is it a must to use it?

Thanks for the help!
:)

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the oil cooler line retaining clips easy to release without a special tool. Once the clip is expanded with a small flat blade, the oil line will pop right out.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting on my new ones to arrive from viper specialties, should do the replacement next weekend, I'll update on it then ... not much help to you now, but ...

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a special tool designed to expand the retaining clip, but you don't need it to do the job. Small screwdriver or pick tool will get it done. Just need to hold your mouth right. You should replace the fittings that the lines clip into as well. Or at least remove them to clean up and install new o-rings in them. If not, they'll probably leak worse than before. Last time I did mine, the fittings were on national back order, so I just did the o-rings.

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed mine last weekend, the black plastic collar just snaps off and can be slid out of the way. The clips are then easily popped out with a pick. Jobs' a bit of a pita. You don't even have to drop the oil, just take the filter off to help with access to the lines and fittings. If you have big hands the job will be less fun. I used lines from Snakeoyl. Nice lines but could use some improvements, wish I had made my own instead, was just trying to save time.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed mine last weekend, the black plastic collar just snaps off and can be slid out of the way. The clips are then easily popped out with a pick. Jobs' a bit of a pita. You don't even have to drop the oil, just take the filter off to help with access to the lines and fittings. If you have big hands the job will be less fun. I used lines from Snakeoyl. Nice lines but could use some improvements, wish I had made my own instead, was just trying to save time.

What kind of improvements?

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made my own using aeroquipt fittings and they turned out great. I first made them using the Jegs an fittings which were complete trash.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte