oil & filter

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wal Mart has the 5 qt Mobil 1 jugs for $18.88; good deal. I'm using 15w50. Need help with a filter. Someone said in a previous post not to use the Napa gold series, why ? I need to know a good oil filter that I can pick up at a local parts store today. How about the Mobil 1 filter ? Thanks in advance.
ps. Part # for filter too if you can help.

bhchase

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought a few gallons last night at Wal-Mart. I use a Mobil-1 filter and it seems from reading this thread most people do. (Sorry i can't remember the number.)

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you checked Target? I always get my Mobil 1 oil there. They had them priced at $2.99 for years until they raised it to $3.39/qt. I've noticed that other Targets have them priced much higher but I'm not complaining :)

OP
OP
M

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No local stores have Mobil 1 filters. My choices are Napa, Wix, Fram, AC Delco, & Motorcraft. Should I go with one of these, or drive 30+ miles for a K&N or Mobil 1 ?

OP
OP
M

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don, thanks for the link. I read the whole study. Looks like I will go with the Napa gold (same as Wix). Conclusion looks like AC Delco, Wix (napa gold), or Mobil 1, are the best choices. (K&N not in the study)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last two oil changes I have used the Purolator Pure One from Advance Auto Parts. It didn't get a bad review. It even matches the car !!!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Careful - we witnessed a NAPA Gold oil filter failure during an SCCA event that torched the car - flames everywhere - within the wast 2 months. And this was under the low pressure situation - NOT on startup. Had he not been on a racetrack, the car would have burnt to the ground..... Scary.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gasket failure - it split. Hopefully will get it back to NAPA / Wix for failure analysis... Luckily owner's insurance is covering under comprehensive, but may still go after NAPA as this has a warranty associated with it.... I know when we had the Mobil 1 filter failure and I sent it back for failure analysis, the first question they asked was there any damage casued by the failure. In our case, only damage was to Henry's ears from me cursing as oil spewed out onto the shop floor.....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
We are up in the air on filters ourselves. The NAPA is still on the race car, and my 1996, aswe've been running without issue for a couple oif years, but we've not changed oil since "the incident". I may go back to Mobil 1 - as I couldn't really tell you what would have made me happy with the failure analysis report / corrective action that I got back from them.

K&N is made by Champion, same as Mobil 1, so any manufacturing quesitons I have would apply to both filters...

Now, to further complicate things,I have to change the oil in the SRT....

I guess failures can occur with any filter - I am trying to minimize the possibility, but don't know how I can reduce the chances any more than we laready have. We've used some of the most highly recommended filters and seen firsthand problems with both.... Maybe we found all the bad ones? ;) ;)

OP
OP
M

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you read the analysis from the link above, the tester seemed to like the AC Delco. Would that be sacrilege to use a GM filter on a Viper ? Anyhoo, I may take a chance on the Napa gold, anyone know the part # ?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever happened to Mopar ???

I've been using Mopar filters on my Dakota, Viper and now 1500Hemi, and all the filters are the same so I just pick up a case now and then.

AC

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the recent influx of oil change related threads. I'm up to 4200 miles on my oil and since my job does not allow for a trip the the dealership (or Heffners where I'd like to go) I was having serious fears about doing the oil myself.

I think I have the basics now ane will be attempting this tomorrow:
- Car level on jacks (or whatever holds it securely)
- Mopar Filter (because no one around here has or can get a M1 filter, not even the dealerships would help)
- 25 ft/lb max on the oil plug.
- draining over night may be acle to drop another pint of bad blood out.
- I have 10w, would it be better to run 15w?

Did I miss anything important?

OP
OP
M

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bonkers, thanks for reviving this thread. I went with the Napa gold filter, same as Wix (says wix right on the box). Mopar got inconsistant reviews in the thread above. I like the 15w50 Mobil 1, using it in my Z06 also. The difference in temp range is only 5 degrees between 10w and 15w and that temp is somewhere below 10 degrees I think. So the high end viscosity gained with the 50w over the 30w is substantial especially in hot weather. Read the bottle on the 15w50w, says it is best for high performance engines. I plan on doing the change in the next couple of days. A good way to get a little more oil out in a shorter amount of time is to slightly incline the car in the direction of the drain plug, which i can do using my ramps and my steep driveway. Having never been under this car, is the drain plug at the front or rear of the pan ?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would that be sacrilege to use a GM filter on a Viper ?

The AC/Delco Gold was made by Champion Labs (Gold has been discontinued) as are the Mobil 1 and K&N.

ALL are considered "premium" oil filters

Mobil 1
Mobil 1 oil and oil filters have long had an outstanding reputation. The filters have a synthetic element media and the strongest shell on the market. The outside shell is .0195" thick on the large ML-301 or .0170" thick on the smaller ML209. Mobil 1 is maybe the most forthcoming with information since for a long time they have been the 100-year-old scotch of quality oil filters. They are proud of their "Hydrostatic Burst" values, which are three times the SAE standard. Their "Pressure Impulse Cycles to Failure" values which are the highest, and only ones I have found; which mean the guts of the filter are made like a tank. The whole filter is an engineering exercise in loving design excess. Is it the best oil filter made or has anyone come up with a better design while Mobil 1 has rested on it's reputation? Lacking extensive and expensive laboratory tests I can only say Mobil Oil filters are somewhere in the top three, in a class of outstanding over achievers

K&N
Champion Laboratories in Albion, IL make both the Mobil 1 and the K&N. So the family resemblance between the two is more than coincidence and to the K&N's credit they use about 17% more synthetic media, that to the untrained human eye looks identical to the Mobil 1 medium. For some reason the "Hydrostatic Burst" on a K&N is 550 to the 600-psi of the Mobil 1 using the same thickness shell. Thrown against a wall hard enough either the Mobil 1 or the K&N would dent the wall (not an official SAE test mind you). One extravagant feature of the K&N is the one-inch nut on the dome end of the shell to ease removal. That may not be crucial, but I don't think it is a gimmick either. It is a nice finishing touch to an uncompromising design.

The Mobil 1 and K&N share the same SPFE rating of 98% but the Mobil 1 has a better multiple pass rating, even though the medium looks the same and the K&N has more of it. Both are well made and should perform very well. One can't go wrong with either the Mobil 1 or the K&N, either is great choice, so buy based on availability and price. I would expect them to be very close in performance, as they are so close in design and construction.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Okay, the oil is draining and everything seems to be going fine. The search engine refuses to give up the info I need so does anyknow know if the 25ft/lbs I states above is correct or is it 25in/lbs?