Oil Level

ViprVnm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished my first oil change which went very smoothly. Piece of cake! However, the oil level on the dipstick seems to be 2" over the safe zone. I thought I let the oil drain out long enough. Would it be recommended to drain out a little oil?

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Published specs reflect rebuild, not oil change.

Yes, drain out 1 quart.

I always tell the dealership when they change my oil to put the last quart in the trunk, it wont need it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey ViprVnm,

Mine took about 10.5 quarts when stock per oil change. Don't forget to put about 1/2 quart in the oil filter before starting the engine. I'd re-measure before draining any oil. But if it's above the full mark and you filled the oil filter, definitely remove some oil to get it back into the safe zone.

Oil changes are easy in the SRT-10. Now, with the supercharger, it takes about 1 more quart.

Good luck.

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my last oil change, I drained it out pretty good, but still on put about 8.75 qts to get it up to the full line.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drain mine as much as I can. Then I run the car for ten minutes so any additional oil flows out. Put the drain plug back in,screw the filter on and refill. Takes 10+ quarts everytime. :D

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Finally,

Yeah, right. Be careful what you post on this site. I know more than a few Viper owners who know where the key goes and where the gas goes, sort of, no more.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drain mine as much as I can. Then I run the car for ten minutes so any additional oil flows out. Put the drain plug back in,screw the filter on and refill. Takes 10+ quarts everytime. :D

Makes me ill just thinking someone might read and do this. Pretty sure I remember reading a thread where someone actually did start the engine on their SRT-4 to help drain oil. Sad . . . and a bit funny.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drain mine as much as I can. Then I run the car for ten minutes so any additional oil flows out. Put the drain plug back in,screw the filter on and refill. Takes 10+ quarts everytime.
If u run the car hard u only need 5 minutes...Funny :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc