Oil Light On Startup

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My oil light stays on for 1-4 seconds after my engine fires. I've been told it's common. Anyone having this issue. Oil level is fine as well as pressure while idleing or driving. I'm sure this is causing damage and hope to fix it. The car is an 03 with 12,000 miles. Anyone using an Accusump?

Thanks ahead for the feedback.
Sal

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive only heard of those using the accusump and that it works just as design. I plan on installing one this summer. cheap insurance.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '04 has been 60K + and hasn't had any problems. A few seconds at startup won't do any measurable damage to anything in an engine unless you are immediately loading it up before the oil pressure is registered.

It is also possible that the between the engine and the gage (sensor, oil passages) that there is a slight lag in response.

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 out of my 5 cars do this. I've never even thought twice about it. Oil pressure doesn't happen immediately and neither does the electronics that kicks the light off. Stop worrying and drive the car :drive:

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive only heard of those using the accusump and that it works just as design. I plan on installing one this summer. cheap insurance.

Accusump cost me a motor in an SRT Ram. Pressure valve failed and my oil poured out while driving. Didn't know there was a problem until the motor went boom...then the oil light came on. :omg:

Their valve is rated to 85 PSI max. Viper has a mechnical spring that tries to limit the pressure to 100 PSI max. But as you can see 100 is greater than 85.

Viper tech added 5 quarts of oil to move the truck to his bay (it was towed in and parked in the lot by service). It lost all five quarts by the time it got there. Never again.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Accusump cost me a motor in an SRT Ram. Pressure valve failed and my oil poured out while driving. Didn't know there was a problem until the motor went boom...then the oil light came on. :omg:

Their valve is rated to 85 PSI max. Viper has a mechnical spring that tries to limit the pressure to 100 PSI max. But as you can see 100 is greater than 85.

Viper tech added 5 quarts of oil to move the truck to his bay (it was towed in and parked in the lot by service). It lost all five quarts by the time it got there. Never again.

Good info. Thanks. I'm leaving it alone.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

good info. I'm sure this is not common as ice heard alot of good things but that's another part I don't wanna have to worry about. Illpass. Thanks.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it is crazy...I can't tell you how much time I spent tracking down the info. Accusump/Canton pointing fingers at the valve manufacturer...then I spoke to the valve manufacturer and they said that was the valve that Canton puts on every install...period. Even though the valve company warned Canton. They stated that the valve was tested to twice the 85 PSI (per engineering standards)...it was rated at 85 for continued use. Even Dodge was behind them...until I asked Dodge to warranty the engine.