Oil line leak

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I noticed a small amount of oil in my garage and turns out to be my inlet oil line from the block to the oil cooler that's leaking. My warranty covers the entire oil cooler assembly (cooler, in/outlet lines, fittings/connectors) which the dealer has recommended to do and has been approved. However the fittings/connectors are in back order till ????? I guess I'll have to live with the slow leak for a while. Has anyone experianced the same problem in the past.
Being these fittings are in back order I'm thinking it may be a common problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if a replacement fitting has been issued to correct the problem.
Great DIY Kevan but I'm gonna let the warranty handle it this time. I'll save the write up just in case. :2tu:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You need to replace the oil line and the fittings for a proper repair.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I noticed a small amount of oil in my garage and turns out to be my inlet oil line from the block to the oil cooler that's leaking. My warranty covers the entire oil cooler assembly (cooler, in/outlet lines, fittings/connectors) which the dealer has recommended to do and has been approved. However the fittings/connectors are in back order till ????? I guess I'll have to live with the slow leak for a while. Has anyone experianced the same problem in the past.

[/QUOTE

OK so last year I went to the dealer ship and thought I had a oil leak from my Oil pan gasket.I'm still under 7/70 but I ran over a rock in the middle of the road and thought that caused the leak. So yesterday I ordered a new pan gasket got home put my car on the hoist and it too looks like the leak is coming from the line you described.

My question is this under warranty?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great DIY Kevan but I'm gonna let the warranty handle it this time. I'll save the write up just in case. :2tu:
Thanks. No offense taken. :D

OK so last year I went to the dealer ship and thought I had a oil leak from my Oil pan gasket.I'm still under 7/70 but I ran over a rock in the middle of the road and thought that caused the leak. So yesterday I ordered a new pan gasket got home put my car on the hoist and it too looks like the leak is coming from the line you described.

If it's a Gen.III, probably.
Take the part number to the dealer's service department and check with them.

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed the same on my 03 when did the teardown during my build. I replaced the seals and hopefully this will cure the small leak.

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE

Yes, The entire assy. will be replaced. At least mine will.

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed I had the same leak when I got under to change the oil last week. I'm thinking I can make a open boxend kind off wrench and just give both fittings a tweek...Will that work?....Even though I have the maxicar waranty I still havn't plucked up the courage to take my car in to the dealer and have something bad happen, like this site often writes about. Anyone ever had any bad experience at Huntington Beach Dodge...

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need two fittings and both lines for this repair. I don't think your dealer is trying hard enough to get the parts.

They have 267 of each line at the warehouse.

1 fitting in stock at the warehouse. My dealer has 4 in stock right now. They should be able to see that on there computer. (Raceway Chrysler)They can order dealer to dealer.

Garrett

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After two days to replace a couple of oil lines :rolleyes:
I get my car back and noticed on the write up that they used a quart of 5w30 synthetic after the repair. ***... I guess they never read the service manual. Leak is gone....so far.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had my car PA state inspected today at my dealer. All is well, except my tech noticed both oil cooler lines leaking at the compression fitting. I mentioned I have nothing on my garage floor. Apparently what is leaking is just blowing back onto the frame, as there is some oil there.

From a search on here, seems like a known issue with the Gen 3. Oh well, the car is 8 years old, with 25,400 miles, and it does sit for extended periods.

I'm gonna let my tech handle this one, of course, the parts had to be ordered, then I'll have to take the car back. I don't even know how long I've had the issue, only put 2300 miles on the car this past year. But, sat in an unheated garage most of the winter, so seals shrink, probably what did it.

He told me the car was fine to drive until the lines come in though.

Last edited:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update, must be a common issue, because I'm told the replacements here by Friday, so they must have plenty warehoused. Car goes back in next Thursday for its artery surgery.:smirk:

elvis1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes had my lines replaced too on my 2004. Like Canyon says, fan is next. Lol! It is a whole assembly of course, not just the fan.:2tu:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can actually contaminate the power steering. The fan it runs off the same pump if I am not mistaken. My internal bearings in the fan just flat out failed. I never could figure why it was not a simple electric fan instead of an oill driven fan. Modren tech ?? I think some older Chrysler's were like this.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It can actually contaminate the power steering. The fan it runs off the same pump if I am not mistaken. My internal bearings in the fan just flat out failed. I never could figure why it was not a simple electric fan instead of an oill driven fan. Modren tech ?? I think some older Chrysler's were like this.

I'm confused. How do some minor leakage at oil line compression fittings make your fan go out? Or am I missing something?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 ****** when the fan goes you will hear it and feel it when it kicks on. Strong vibrations in the steering wheel. Bearings are gone
Swexlin It's the progresson of failure. The bearings go in the fan and it runs off the same pump that runs the power steering.
Ground bearings particles can get into everything in that loop.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Swexlin It's the progresson of failure. The bearings go in the fan and it runs off the same pump that runs the power steering.
Ground bearings particles can get into everything in that loop.

I understand that, but what does that have to do with the oil cooler line leak? Or are you just saying it will just be the next thing to go wrong? I will say this - if the car turns into a money pit, as much as I enjoy it - it's outta here.

Power steering has it's own fluid and reservior, I think, and has nothing to do with the engine oil? Very confused now.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that, but what does that have to do with the oil cooler line leak? Or are you just saying it will just be the next thing to go wrong? I will say this - if the car turns into a money pit, as much as I enjoy it - it's outta here.

Power steering has it's own fluid and reservior, I think, and has nothing to do with the engine oil? Very confused now.
not the engine oil. just the next place to see your next leak. I can't say it will happen but, it happened to me and others. should be under warranty. Mine was covered under the extended warranty. Money Pit? :dunno:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just the next place to see your next leak.

That's what a figured you meant, just the potential for the next thing to go. It's funny, all three of my current Mopars have had "known issue" leaks:

CP3 injection pump in my Cummins in my 04 Ram
NAG1 transmission plug leak in my 07 Charger SRT8
oil cooler line fitting leak in my 03 Viper

No warranty, car is 8 years old an out of warranty. And yes, money pit. This will be an expensive repair, then if other things start to go, yes, a money pit. As I said, I love the car, and things go as vehicles age, but at some point you gotta know when to say when!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't classify a couple leaks as a potential money pit

I hear ya, but with parts and labor, it starts to add up!:crazy2: I ain't made of money like all you guys here!:lmao: Don't worry, she ain't going anywhere just yet.:D

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya, but with parts and labor, it starts to add up!:crazy2: I ain't made of money like all you guys here!:lmao: Don't worry, she ain't going anywhere just yet.:D

The document listed earlier showed just how cheap and easy this is to not only repair yourself but upgrade the parts at the same time.

You want a money pit go buy a Lotus Esprit lol.