Oil pan gasket: Fel-pro or OEM

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never been a fan of non-OEM gaskets, unless they are in fact the OEM gasket just a different name on the outside of the box. Not sure who makes the pan gasket.

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i put a new factory one on last year and called fel pro and they never made one for the gen 2 they told me!!

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new style OEM oil pan gasket is not a typical gasket. it is a relatively thick (1/8" or 1/16") piece of aluminum with a rubber bead that contacts the block and the oil pan. It is the rubber bead that creates the seal. I don't think a traditional paper/felt gasket would seal properly because of the small amount of torque that can be applied to the oil pan bolts (remember, aluminium block) and the fact that the oil pan is just so large. I would guess that the fel-pro gasket is just a paper/felt gasket, perhaps originally designed for the dodge v10 truck with the cast iron block. I'd highly recommend the new style OEM gasket.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the FEL-PRO gasket because I have a slight leak as well. It is metal with the rubber ring. My viper tech said it would work just fine and it was MUCH cheaper than the one from Dodge. I bought it from Amazon for under $40.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fel-Pro is a highly respected, quality gasket manufacturer. I use a lot of their gaskets, but for the Viper, I would use the OEM gasket for sure.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fel-Pro is a highly respected, quality gasket manufacturer. I use a lot of their gaskets, but for the Viper, I would use the OEM gasket for sure.

The OEM Gen 3 intake manifold gaskets are Fel Pro so some of their stuff on our cars is OEM.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some felpro gaskets are better than factory,(better revised design) some are looked to be of a 2 year old infant that design them

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused:Howd the thread go this far without someone saying: "The year matters...."

What year is your motor Invasiv?

up until 97was a standard type gasket that was superseded halfwaythrough 97 with the 1/8" thick aluminum "shim" gasket.
The new gasket is pricey however used ones can be had from salvage yards for half the cost. I'd take a used one over a standard type aftermarket replacement. I think the thick aluminum allows for more evenly distributed torque to the pan and is less likelyto leak. http://www.viperpartsrack.com/ could prob have one to you in a few days. Give JonB a call.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears to be leaking at the gasket so I was going to replace it, to answer your question

Where is it leaking? I went down this same path a couple of years ago. I thought the pan gasket was leaking and replaced it even though there was nothing wrong with the old one. Then I found the real cause of the leak was the rear main seal plate gasket. It is a inverted u shape gasket on the back of the motor. There is plenty of threads about it and it is the most common cause of oil leaks for the Gen2. The second would be the timing cover gasket on the front of the motor.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My viper tech says they are fine, at least as far as the Gen 3 is concerned. I'd like to hear from the Wizard to get the final say.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused:Howd the thread go this far without someone saying: "The year matters...."

What year is your motor Invasiv?

up until 97was a standard type gasket that was superseded halfwaythrough 97 with the 1/8" thick aluminum "shim" gasket.
The new gasket is pricey however used ones can be had from salvage yards for half the cost. I'd take a used one over a standard type aftermarket replacement. I think the thick aluminum allows for more evenly distributed torque to the pan and is less likelyto leak. http://www.viperpartsrack.com/ could prob have one to you in a few days. Give JonB a call.

it cha

The original gasket was also 1/8" but the base was a fiber material. It actually had a more substantial.rubber seal.

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where is it leaking? I went down this same path a couple of years ago. I thought the pan gasket was leaking and replaced it even though there was nothing wrong with the old one. Then I found the real cause of the leak was the rear main seal plate gasket. It is a inverted u shape gasket on the back of the motor. There is plenty of threads about it and it is the most common cause of oil leaks for the Gen2. The second would be the timing cover gasket on the front of the motor.

Im going to double check exactly where it is leaking. Are those gaskets easy to change?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im going to double check exactly where it is leaking. Are those gaskets easy to change?

Sorry, it is not a quick fix. To replace the rear gasket the transmission has to be removed. I haven't done the front myself but it has a similar level of involvement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32