Oil Pans ????

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading the oil pan on my 97 GTS...

I've seen the Archer pan...

any others out there that I need to look at??

Thanx

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you track the car, get the 10 qt. pan with windage tray/baffles to prevent oil starvation when cornering hard.

Jon B. sells it.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an old post I saved regarding oil pan upgrades. I wish I knew who originally authored it as I would give them credit:

"2000 Oil Pan: Some of the internal casting CLEARLY shows Dodge is thinking about baffle systems. There are 4 cast bosses that look purpose-cast for this purpose - that is inner side is cast flat on the castings so that baffles will lay nearly flush when in the "closed" position. While most people don't talk about the windage tray, it really should be considered as part of the "package". The 2000 windage tray is a BIG improvement over the 96-99 tray and at about $60, IS worth obtaining - will work like a charm in a 97 GTS with either your existing or a 2000 pan.

2. Any pan with baffles (and all the 96-99 Gen II and 2000+ will take them with very little work) is better than without. The baffles Joe Dozzo has for the 2000+ pans are very simple to install An optional thing to do, in addition to installing the baffles, is semi-polish the inside of the pan. Viper pans, new and old, are very rough on the inside. The OUTSIDE of the pans have a slightly better finish than the insides! It's work an hour or so of time ($50) to smoothe the inside of the pan to promote oil return, rather than clinging to the rough cast finish. Does not need to be a mirror surface and some of the corners are very difficult to get, but I feel it's an hour+ very well spent.

3. Modify your 99-99 pan. This is the price performance winner if you have a 96-99. The baffles for the 96-99 Gen II pan are a bit easier to make and cost less than a 2000. I'd very definitely recommend a 2000 windage tray. (Note, Joe will provide a template showing where to add the additional drain holes at nocharge for those who've been buying the baffle kits to install themselves.)

4. I don't have a recent price for the MPP pan, maybe $1200? Yes, It is all factory parts, including baffles, but at a price and you still need a windage tray and might want to to clean out the inside! In summary...

1. 2000 Pan + Windage Tray ~ $500 assuming VCA discounts.

2. 2000 Pan + Tray + Baffles + "semi-polish" ~ $725 - $775.

3. 1997 pan + Tray + Baffles + "semi-polish" ~ $200 - $300.

4. ACR Pan + Tray + "semi-polish" ~ $1200+

Just buying a 2000 pan (and tray) does little to improve the oiling system, leaving choices 2 - 4, all of which, in my opinion, are roughly equal improvements in oiling system performance.

I actually got the Mopar Performance Pan from JonB. It has the Trap door baffles already on it. He said he just got one in and he sold it too me for $625 including the updated gasket. Dealer price on internet for identical pan was $1200 and $105 for the gasket. Maybe it was a close out I'm not for certain. I also ordered the updated windage tray for an additional $68. He said as well as Pemberton, Sean Roe, etc that only differnce is that MPP hold same amount of oil as my 97 instead of the 2000-2002. So I feel much better about tracking the car now. I also just purchased a 4/48 extended warranty for only $1550. I'm now completely covered."

I went with option 3. Easy do it yourself job.

OP
OP
D

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx everyone for the replies...

Hey Carrot... hows it going buddy... can't wait till spring..

I think I'm going with option 3... where do I get the parts and
how hard where they to install ???

Later

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32