oil pressure check?

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
last night my oil pressure sensor blew out (in the garage) i lost about 2qts of oil before i noticed it. today i replaced the pressure sending unit and all seems to be well. EXCEPT....before my car help about 40lbs of oil pressure at an idle and about 60lbs running down the road, now i am only holding 30lbs-and-50lbs. after talking to a few people they said it may be correct now, and the old unit was giving a bad reading. can a few of you please tell me what you cars are ideling and running at.
By the way mine is a 1994 gen I
thanks in advance,
ryan

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, in all my years of playin' with elec. and mech. gauges I've found out they can all vary slightly. Mechanical gauge is much more accurate than an electrical one. same sender=different resistance, elec. can vary. The only way to be really sure is to hook up a mechanicl gauge. You're probably fine tho, diff. sender=diff. reading.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm... I would say try another sending unit, and see what happens. It is possible it is the sending unit as well. If that solves nothing, then it is correct... and you should find out why it dropped. It IS possible that the old unit was wrong, but those readings are indeed low from every car I have even seen. My car with 11K miles holds 40 PSI at a HOT idle, even after me beating on it for a while. 60 PSI while running, and 70 PSI on a cold start.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has oil pressures consistent with what Daniel indicated. 40 hot idle, 60 at speed and 70 cold. Only time it has ever registered below 40 was when the oil was very hot (continuous high speed running when driving through Death Valley - and GAWD was it hot!).

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think i will go buy a new sending unit this weekend and see if that is it.....i hope that the next one as stated above, just have a variance from the origional. anyone else who has any input between now and when i post with my next results please pass it along any info. you all are great, with the help of everyone here there is not much any of us can't figure out....WHAT A GREAT GROUP OF GUYS!!!!

Ryan

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give me my old car back, I never had problems with it. You are killing her. Maybe she like your Ex-girlfriend, she just likes me better. :D
Chad

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess we both treated our ex rough. i rode kelly just as hard as you could have ever ridden this car. and now they are bothing dripping leaving wet spots. LOL, if you want her have her, i am satisfied with my end of the deal, even if i am having a few minor problems.

Ryan