Ok Help Required Mystery Problem on GT2

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well guys the #52 car has been a bit unloved over the years and is now getting some TLC but it has always had a check engine light and throws a code for a gross leak in the fuel system, but I can find no leak,

So far have change the gas cap, the evac pump and solenoid had the rear r/h splash panel off too check the breather hose is connected to the filler neck.

Trouble is you keep reseting the code and it can go away as does the smell for days and days then suddenly its back and sometimes wont clear,

Yesterday after a charity track day I noticed the problem was worse when the car was thrown about and on the way home I noticed marks like fluid had been spilt on the l/h rear tire as it was rotating.

Economy is still good performance is great and no sign of a leak of course it may have evaporated by the time I drove home.

Any ideas, or any ideas what may be behind the l/h splash panel that may cause this.

As far as I can tell it has had the recall work done both front and rear but does not look like the tank has come out so I guess it just had the strenghtening :dunno: .

Its a great car I love driving it but this problem is driving me crazy and I don't really want to take the gas tank out or cut the inspection hatch in such a important Viper.:crazy2:

Thanks guys waiting some advice :eater:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about the fuel filter? That has two quick connect connections that could leak. And the only way to inspect it is to remove the driver's side rear splash panel.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good suggestion. I saw my filter the other day when putting a clutch in my '01 GTS. They sure do have that filter wedged up in there 'tween the body and frame, but it sounds like the right spot to get on a tire if leaking.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
P

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys I have a shop manual but your help has made it worth while buzzing it off and checking it out.

Thanks also for the post on the J clips but I might replace that one with a rivnut.

Its a great family I belong to

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well guys the #52 car has been a bit unloved over the years and is now getting some TLC but it has always had a check engine light and throws a code for a gross leak in the fuel system, but I can find no leak,

I'm assuming a Code for EVAP leak not fuel leak since you are changing the gas cap..If you smell fuel it's probably at the top of the gas tank. I had the EVAP code setting on my 99RT and I used a smoke machine to fill the system with 2# pressure and smoke. It was leaking at the top of tank vent O ring seal. It was fun gett'n to the tank through the trunk.!! After ersaing the codes it usually takes 3 key starts to reset after the EVAP monitor tries to reset and can't because of a pressure leak.

OP
OP
P

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope its not there if it is I have to cut the bulhead to get the tank out and I would rather not do that on such a classic car.

OK I can close it with a closeout panel when its done but I'll still know its been done.

Thanks for the help got my fingers crossed, new filter on order as well as its coming up to 10 years old. It may even be one of those funky gas line connections.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, if it was an EVAP code it has nothing to do with the fuel lines or filter. Unless leaking. rather the tank holding pressure so no fuel fumes get to the atmosphere. The only "fuel codes" I can see are for rich run or lean run.

OP
OP
P

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks code is for gross leak in closed system, ie when the evac pump presurises the system it can not within the given time therefore throws a code.

As I understand it the tank is pressurised by the pump to confirm no leaks then when the car is stopped opens the solenoid and pumps vapour from the tank into the evac carbon filter.

Thats why it takes several goes to clear the code first time you start the car its not pressurised.

Thats how I interpret the shop manual but I sure need help on this one.

But I have a bad feeling its the tank and i really dread cutting the trunk bulkhead and removing the rear wing panel etc.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting a hole in an obscure area. Hmm... Not good brain candy... But if that's the only way in there, and if the manual maybe suggests it, and if the forum suggests it, and you do a spiffy job of it, I would be just as proud of my car after, as I was before.

OP
OP
P

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave your right and Dodge can supply a close out panel which you can mark round before you cut:dig:

Marking clearly round the close out panel then cutting one inch in no deeper than half an inch or you hit the tank........:nono: :firedev:

Nice job guys wish me luck if I have to do it, there's never a wizard about when you need one.:cool:

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok ok ok.. I will take the car from you...

you keep offering it.. so I will take it... bad gas tank and all!!

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS