OK, I've got two questions about possible problems

Scott M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I\'ve got two questions about possible problems

First off, I would like to say thank you for all the times people have help me with my questions, and the times they have helped others as well. I have learned tons since owning my Viper, and silently reading posts over the years.

My two questions are:

1) Has anyone ever experience the extreme stiffness in shifting after the Viper has sat in the cold for a while? Really hard shifting into second, almost wants to grind, but really have to needle it in. After a few miles it goes away. Drove today in 40 degree weather here (Chicago)

2) Every time I drive the car in the dark, with the heater on, I've notice the lights sort flicker or dim for a split second. Is this normal? It goes away when I turn off the heater.

BONUS QUESTION: Is it me, or does it seem like a long time since the last Viper magazine came out?

Again, thank you to those who may have some insight.

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: OK, I\'ve got two questions about possible problems

Your transmission has the new synthetic lubricant in it to help eliminate the neutral gear rattle...which is good. But on the the flip side there is down fall which you have experienced....which is, the fluid tends to be a little stiffer when it is cold. The trans becomes easier to shift as soon as the fluid warms up. As for your lights flickering....what you are seeing is the PCM controlling the charging system based on electrical loads i.e. blower motor, lights, etc. When the PCM senses a voltage drop, it will duty cycle the alternator to increase the voltage in the system...net result...you "see" the result with you lights.. they get brighter.

OP
OP
S

Scott M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: OK, I\'ve got two questions about possible problems

Originally posted by JonB-Pace Car Pilot:
I agree w/ Rich......a member here switched to Redline tranny oil and his cold-complaints of stiffness went away. He bragged of smoother shifts as well.

As for the flickering dash lights! That is also normal, but unfortunate. Some Vipers (esp 96GTS) have a greater frequency of complaints on this issue

Rich and JonB, thank you for your replies. I'm glad (but thought) it's normal. What stores can I get redline at, and would it void the warranty on my car? Any special suggestions about adding redline. I'll also let you know if it helps!

Do you also happen to know when the next Viper mag comes out?

Thank you again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte