OK my viper looks almost as bad as this..help!

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my red paint (I have no pics) on my 02 rt10.The paint looks like this especially on trunk and hood from poor washing and drying techniques and poor car cover removal etc.

What is the BEST way to remove these darn lines/scratches?

Porter Cable Orbital with white or maybe green pads? (Meguires fine cut 80)

I heard Mequires NXT SPRAY/2.0 TECH WAX was good too after.

WHAT IS THE BEST SEALANT to use?

thanks! Kevin.

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO you are going to need more then a PC to remove those defects.

If you have no experience with a rotary, I can refer you to a great pro who is in Detroit if you like.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my red paint (I have no pics) on my 02 rt10.The paint looks like this especially on trunk and hood from poor washing and drying techniques and poor car cover removal etc.

thanks! Kevin.
do a slight sandpaper scuff if its that bad,u will be there for days with a buffer,scuff and buff,but u have to know what ur doin so u dont scuff through the paint,its a trick to the trade..

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta go to a pro for a finish that bad.

Don't want to be learning how to do this on your own viper.

Best to hire an experienced detailer with some talent and experience.

Ask them to tell you how to not let this happen again.

Should be not as expensive as buying all the stuff yourself.

Maybe you can even be there and help out when the finish is being brought back to life.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok..my car is not this bad at all.. im just saying its similar type scratches.. not as deep and not as many but still bad.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is stop causing the problem. Those scratches are there because of the rags/towels/etc you/carwash are using on your paint.

When you figure out what the problem is then you can try to remove the swirls, it may or may not work depending on how deep they are. But most likely you will need a good paint guy to do the sanding or you will just do more harm.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are going to need more than just a ROB to remove scratches like that. For paint correction I prefer at the very least a machine like the Flex 3401 which is a forced rotation ROB. OR if you are proficient with a rotary that is the way to go.

I would use a good foam polishing pad and some Menzerna Ceramic Nano polish. You may need to use a medium grade compound first for some of the deeper scratches. Worst case scenerio break out the 3000 grit wet sand paper.

ALWAYS try the least aggressive method first. :2tu:

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good call Agentf1, get a Flex 3401 and some Menzerna. Here is a video of a comparison of the Flex vs PC using Menzerna:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yht1uHJLNlQ[/media]

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS AGENTF1.What is the best sealant to use?

I highly recommend Optimum Opti-Seal. Durable and incredible depth and shine. Check out Autopia.org and do a search on Opti-Seal and you will see. You may want to invest in a gas powered leaf blower to blow dry your Viper after washing. I picked up a 200mph blower at Home Depot for $100. Here is the one I use Homelite :: UT08550 It works great and gets all the water off without touching the vehicle. I wouldn't go anything less than 200mph gas powered whatever you get. Just remember, the less you make contact with your paint (even with super soft microfiber cloths, car covers, etc), the less clearcoat scratches you will have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a leaf blower but too lazy to use it.I just dry the car off if I wash it then drive it and use a water blade.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks! Kevin.
I like the Meguires fine cut 80 and use Meguires med cut foam pad (purple). Works great. Its funny I had just finished my trunk lid. Went out for a ride and the truck in front was stiring up some dust. I decided to later was it so I really put the hose to it and used the two bucket wash method and the truck likd was the first section I washed. Sure enough even with all :drive:the hosing and car wash soap I picked up another light scratch in the lid. Pissed me off to say the least but, I buffed it out completely. rewaxed and finished. It's never ending keeping this car scratchless. but that method works great.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not what I meant after the car gets done this Spring.I will not be using the cover much at all.I threw out my California Duster and I will use tons of detail spray if wiping with a clean microfiber towel.I will always do the leafblower method once I get it done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187