OK, whats the deal with the vette wave?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an RT/10 for 3 yrs prior to my SRT, never had a vette guy wave to me, in fact I only had one vette guy actually talk to me and we exchanged compliments on the cars.

I've noticed when I'm driving I get vette drivers waving to me. In fact yesterday I went for a drive and had 4 outta 4 wave at me - around where I am everyone has a vette, I swear they passed a law or something requiring one vette per 5 households or something.

So what's the deal? Are the vette drivers waving to greet a fellow driver of a great american sports car? Or is the glare from their gold chain blinding them & they think I'm driving a vette too? :omg: Should I wave back?:dunno:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an RT/10 for 3 yrs prior to my SRT, never had a vette guy wave to me, in fact I only had one vette guy actually talk to me and we exchanged compliments on the cars.
I've noticed when I'm driving I get vette drivers waving to me. In fact yesterday I went for a drive and had 4 outta 4 wave at me - around where I am everyone has a vette, I swear they passed a law or something requiring one vette per 5 households or something.
So what's the deal? Are the vette drivers waving to greet a fellow driver of a great american sports car? Or is the glare from their gold chain blinding them & they think I'm driving a vette too? :omg: Should I wave back?:dunno:

Of COURSE you should wave back!!!! They are appreciating the fine art of a Viper. We have many, many Vette friends, and are friends with the president of the local Vette Chapter--certainly we're friendly with ANYbody who owns ANY car they are very proud of.
I think it's GREAT you get the waves!!! I would NOT hesitate to wave back or thumbs-up them with a smile! ~juli~

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you see the whole hand when they wave or is there only one finger involved?:D

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are waving because they think it is a Vette, nothing more. I cannot count the # of people who said "nice Vette", etc. to me in the SRT (never happened in past Gen Is or IIs). While most of us can tell the difference there have been a few occasions (not sure why I am even admitting this) that I have told my wife, "Look, a Viper" only to correct myself when it got closer. While I like the SRT's look I wish it could be distinguished from a Vette easier.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get a wave or two from Vet owners, probably wont after I mount the personalized plate I have ordered that says Vets Suc

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you mean by the Vette wave. My Dad owned many vettes and that was part of driving it, wave at the other people in their Corvettes.
I just found it funny driving the GTS that corvettes drivers would force themselves not to look at the Viper. It was like Kryptonite to them or something:)

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Juli stated, they are waving because they are saying "Hi" to someone in a nice sports car. It's basically just a sign of respect. Some people need to get off of their high horse and take the blinders off. There are alot of Vette owners who own Vipers as well. IN fact, if you ever go to a track you might get your butt handed to you by a Vette if you aren't on your "A" game. I have both and frequently run around with a few friends who have the new Z06 and those guys are packing some punch. It is that nose in the air attitude that gives Viper drivers the bad name. You know what, I am proud to have come from a Vette to a Viper and I won't hesitate to defend either.

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My shirt says it all, We are their HEROES :)

viper23.jpg
http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/576/medium/viper23.jpg

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I get the wave, my head shakes up and down. I avoid confrontation, and at the same time give them acknowledgment. Some vette guys are really cool folks, however many vette guys act like your the guy doing the girl theyve been dreaming about. When it comes to competition, there is no competition!

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wave back but I don't like it. I chose a Viper because I didn't want to be part of the crowd.

***** when you pass 30+ Vettes on any given Saturday. Waving is ****.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Juli stated, they are waving because they are saying "Hi" to someone in a nice sports car. It's basically just a sign of respect. Some people need to get off of their high horse and take the blinders off. There are alot of Vette owners who own Vipers as well. IN fact, if you ever go to a track you might get your butt handed to you by a Vette if you aren't on your "A" game. I have both and frequently run around with a few friends who have the new Z06 and those guys are packing some punch. It is that nose in the air attitude that gives Viper drivers the bad name. You know what, I am proud to have come from a Vette to a Viper and I won't hesitate to defend either.

Thank you for your positive attitude as well....and YESSSS people, some Z06's CAN take on your vehicle!!~~We've also owned Vettes, and knowing the president of the Vette Regional Club personally, know lots of Vette owners--we ALL like/love our OWN choice of cars, no matter what kind of car it is. Waving to others who wave at you is mature, respectful and shows you have class as well. We also are Vette owners/turned Viper owner and also, like Alabaster says, won't hesitate either to defend either one. Need more positive people out there, good for you Alabaster!~! :cool: :cool: ~juli~

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wave because like others have said, Vette's are nice cars and (most) Vette guys also share a passion for performance cars. Plus, its kinda like taking a hot girl to a party, its fun to mingle and show her off a little.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wave because like others have said, Vette's are nice cars and (most) Vette guys also share a passion for performance cars. Plus, its kinda like taking a hot girl to a party, its fun to mingle and show her off a little.

Always comes down the girls, ey Chad?!! ;) Good for you also for not falling for the negative 'Vette' trap...they love their cars as much as we love ours...we just truly appreciate fine cars, no matter WHAT they are (however, the Bugatti Veyron TAKES THE CAKE!!!)...juli

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So did SRT copy GM, or did GM copy SRT :dunno: sadly enough, I've seen vipers from a mile away, only to get closer and realize that it is a C6. I need to go to the eye doctor.

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So did SRT copy GM, or did GM copy SRT :dunno:

I know what you mean, leading engine air intake, headlights, etc., but I think the wind tunnel has a lot to do with it.

IIRC, the Corvette C6 came out in 2004 (as an MY2005)

P.S. I wave at ALL interesting vehicles. Most wave back. I'm not above or below anybody else. I'm just a simple car guy.

Last edited:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the wave...and I wave back... I also get it from Ferraris and Lambos, etc... Like Julie said...they like them as much as we do.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DMAN,

Bet you didn't mean to start all this "can't we all get along" with the Vette folks stuff. I'm in the same VCA chapter as you, and look forward to meeting you someday at a local event or club meeting. In the mean time I'll see you on the Capital Beltway, I have a red 06 SRT-10. See you around, cheers.

R/Fast Too
:usa:

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't wave....to anyone. It looks limp wristed and ***. I'll give a nod, or a thumbs up.

I've got to get that T-shirt. Freaking Rocks!

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't wave....to anyone. It looks limp wristed and ***. I'll give a nod, or a thumbs up.

From a distance the thumbs up may be interpreted differently. :eek:

I'm paying too much attention to my driving to notice the subtle nod of a passing driver.

A positive gesture of any kind is most welcome in my book. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, it was mainly just a joke, I know they wave cause they think it's a vette. I've had 2 vette drivers this year so far at a gas station ask me how I like my Z06 ... and I even had my top down, Hello, McFly. I think the SRTs are just so rare they're not used to seeing them and the drive-by shape recognition says Z06 in their heads, no harm, no foul, I do wave back, I was just kidding, but I also laugh a little to my self when i do. I always show respect to nice cars, vettes, rice, doesn't matter, if you've got a nice ride, I appreciate it. I'm just a Stanger, 5 since 1987, I've never had one running slower than mid 11s on street tires, and I've been beat by a 10 sec VW bug that was wonderfully done. It's about the car, not the manufacturer as far as I'm concerned.

Speaking of T shirts; my fast car is an 03 SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, although I don't believe in trash talk, I did have to get a T Shirt I saw, it says -
Picture of an SVT Cobra doing a burnout with the words: SVT Terminator Cobra - Embarassing Old Men in Corvettes Since 2003.

One of my best friends drives a vette and I wear it everytime we go out together, I love it.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wave away!

Why not be courtious to other drivers? You never know when another driver has a key handy in a parking lot when you park. It's just not worth it. Hell I would even wave a someone driving a bug, if I had to, just to be nice.

It is a bit scary for a vette owner to wave because who is steering the car? One hand is on his triple non-fat latte and the other is waving.

As far as the Vette, Viper look, they are not even close. If you want to make that comparison, the Viper looks an aweful lot like the best of all the old Corvettes back in the 60s. Lots of small styling cues. However the new Vettes are just blah! The new Z06 looks pretty good and mean, but behind the flarred fenders and big wheels, it is still blah. Just never been a Vette fan, except the for the 63-67 Vettes. I do love those. Maybe that is part of the reason why I love my Viper so much. Hard to say!

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Vipers have had exposed headlights since 1992. SRT 10s came out in 2003. The C6 came out in 2006.

No doubt who did the copying. It was chevvie!!!

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waving is not cool, except for ************** and family.

Thumbs up is way too CHiPs.

Nodding died in the eighties.

The PEACE SIGN is the in thing ya'll!

Last edited:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its out of respect. Both the Vettes and Vipers represent the best of American engineering and power in the sports car world. And only a true car guy (or lunatic) would actually buy a Viper! I wave to all Vette owners, Ferrari owners, Mustang owners etc. I notice that whenever I go out to the movies, dinner etc in my Viper, when I come back to my car there is usually another sports car or cars parked around her. BMW M5's, Stangs, Vettes, etc, even a Bentley GT Convertible on one occasion. But for some reason, Porsche owners seem to rarely wave....hmmmm