OK, whats the deal with the vette wave?

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vette tried to copy the Viper front end.. Most Vette owners think a newr Viper from the front ..is a vette !! hahahaha Man do they get a suprise when they get Pipe'd and I dont Wave....

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of two vettes a 1966 427 coupe & 1972 vert. I am sure there are many members here that also owns vettes. These vettes will always occupy spaces in my garage, however I have been snake bitten and my # 1 choice is my 06 blk/silver coupe. If & when vette owner waves I wont hesitate to return acknowledgement, since vettes are literally stable mates with my snake. But if vettes or any others appear to be challenging the snake, then all bets are off and they are considered the enemy time to shoot the venom :mad:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that Bob Lutz was at Dodge and designed the Viper, then GM stole him away, and that Mr. Lutz wants to one-up the Viper via the Vette. The Viper style came out in 03 and was designed and engineered in 01-02. The C6 came out in 05...when I believe Mr. Lutz was over the project....

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm usually not looking at the Vettes long enough to notice if they're waving or not. And I mean that truthfully. At least not the ones going the other direction.

There's so many, so how does one more matter any more than another Mustang etc going by? BTW I worked for GM's Milford Proving Grounds for 10yrs, and have owned 7 or 8 Vettes.

Last Wed at a cruise a late model Vette owner wandered over to discuss my Michelin Pilot Sports (or PS2s) as a replacement for his run flats. We talked for 20 minutes or so.

I don't have any anti-Vette prejudice, just don't find them that interesting any more.

mkarow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
YOUR BEING MISTAKEN FOR A VETTE. It's that simple. I have made the mistake myself from a distance. That fact alone steers me away from the Gen III.

I have to say I really don't care for the changes that came with the Gen III. Don't get me wrong it's still the best choice on the market period but I have decided to keep my Gen II becuase quite frankly CURVES ARE **** and not just on girls.

I hope the Gen IV brings back the style and looks of the unmistable Viper again.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOUR BEING MISTAKEN FOR A VETTE. It's that simple. I have made the mistake myself from a distance. That fact alone steers me away from the Gen III.
I have to say I really don't care for the changes that came with the Gen III. Don't get me wrong it's still the best choice on the market period but I have decided to keep my Gen II becuase quite frankly CURVES ARE **** and not just on girls.
I hope the Gen IV brings back the style and looks of the unmistable Viper again.

I disagree that the Viper is being mistaken for a Vette--but I will agree that the GenII body style is the epitome of the name VIPER. We love our '05, and have never been mistaken for a Vette (nor have we mistaken any vettes for Vipers)...but the 'normal' person could be forgiven for doing so. Anybody waves, we wave back--simple as that....juli

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are really missing the point. Here is the deal.

You can be friendly through acknowledegment. Just give them the Fangs signal. Vettes have their "wave" and we have Fangs. They are not part of the "Fangs" club. Through our own form of acknowledgement it shows solidarity with the other Viper owners.

We just do it different.....and better.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the front of the GenIII looks like a C6

that's why they are waving at you

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a pair of Corvettes convertibles, '61 and '69.

When in my Viper I wave to Corvettes and IF I ever see a Viper on the road when in one of my Corvettes I will wave.

While not Vipers, Corvettes are certainly worthy of a friendly wave, if they don't wave back, that's their problem.

I graduated college in '77, and ALL cars were dogs due to federal emmissions standards. Since I only like convertibles, the G3 Viper is the first high performance convertible that is significantly stronger than my modified '69.

I think it is odd that GM STILL hasn't built a Corvette convertible that surpasses the performance of their hottest pre-federal Corvette convertibles.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Careful:hmmm: You don't want to offend any of our military vets out there. some might not understand the plate in the way you meant it.:usa2:

Thought the same thing--plate should've read Vettessuk (if you insist on that type of plate)...doesn't personally make me 'happy' to read that either, and we're Viper owners. If you're gonna diss Vettes, make sure you spell it right, or as Harleyman said, military VETS may be totally offended, and you'll be in a 'bad' spot there~~~
~juli~

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are really missing the point. Here is the deal.
You can be friendly through acknowledegment. Just give them the Fangs signal. Vettes have their "wave" and we have Fangs. They are not part of the "Fangs" club. Through our own form of acknowledgement it shows solidarity with the other Viper owners.
We just do it different.....and better.

But, again, that 'signal' can be misinterpreted as well. We don't give the 'fangs' signal to other Vipers we see (seldom, but seen occasionally), we just give a one-handed wave or a 'thumbs-up' out the window. I've actually never even heard of Viper people disrespecting others when they wave to them, by not waving back??? OR giving another 'one-finger' salute? Sounds rude to me....JUST WAVE!!! What's it gonna hurt???!!
~juli~

Alaska Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I don't know what to say...considering I drive a C6 and a Viper, but I do know what everyone is talking about...I'll give the peace sign or something on the order of if someone waves, but I don't initiate. Most of what I see is a sign of respect and a nod to the nice car I am driving...Respect is a good thing and even when I am driving my Stang, I will always acknowledge a nice ride...Especially before I get beat by that Volkswagon...I know...many sleepers out there!!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, so true--R-E-S-P-E-C-T, that is the key!! And, as you said, there ARE sleepers out there, so one NEVER knows!!! NEVER hurts to stay friendly. ~juli~

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Juli stated, they are waving because they are saying "Hi" to someone in a nice sports car. It's basically just a sign of respect. Some people need to get off of their high horse and take the blinders off. There are alot of Vette owners who own Vipers as well. IN fact, if you ever go to a track you might get your butt handed to you by a Vette if you aren't on your "A" game. I have both and frequently run around with a few friends who have the new Z06 and those guys are packing some punch. It is that nose in the air attitude that gives Viper drivers the bad name. You know what, I am proud to have come from a Vette to a Viper and I won't hesitate to defend either.

Sorry to break up the lovefest, but they are waving because they think you have a vette... most of them at least. I NEVER get waves in my GTS, but waves abound in my friend's SRT... some obviously STOP waving and look away when they realize it's a Viper. :rolaugh:

Don't get me wrong vettes are nice cars, and many vette owners appreciate all performance cars, but the wave thing they reserve for their own kind... especially the secretaries and middle-aged balding guys. Let's be honest here... of the hundreds of thousands of vettes out there, only a very small percentage of the owners are car nuts. The ********* car guys that own vettes... usually have a Viper too. :)

I do have to defend the SRT looks though. It doesn't look like the vette or the Honda2000... they copied the SRT. I mean, you couldn't blatantly copy a gen1-2 and get away with it, but the Gen3 had enough angles on it that chevy and Honda thought they'd give it a shot. Close, but no cigar.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No lovefest, just simple respect that's all. We have TONS of Vette friends, there are a handful of Vipers in our area, we hardly see any of them....I just do not agree that the Vette people think the Viper looks like a Vette coming at them (the SRT-10), as we've seen our friends' in the GTS get the waves also from Vette people....just simply a sign of respect/love the car type of reaction. We respect others' cars as well....no lovefest, just a simple love of CARS in general...from higher-end to lower-end, everyone loves their OWN car....to each their own!! ~juli~

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points folks on not wanting to offend miltary Vets. I am a 20 year veteran myself. I just dropped my reservation on that plate.:usa:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe alot just depends on what part of the Country you are in. Partly because I race and there are alot of car groups I have helped instruct in the Midwest , I end up waving, giving a thumbs up, etc. to everything from Miatas to Porsches, but often it is to return a thumbs up from another gearhead soul. Likely due to the fact that we are in truck heaven in Kneebrasky, it could be just a easy acknowledgement to any of those that like to go fast in style.Actually I have always gotten alot of thumbs up from Harley riders.

Just an observation from out here in the cornfields.:2tu: ( seemed an appropriate icon, ha)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe alot just depends on what part of the Country you are in. Partly because I race and there are alot of car groups I have helped instruct in the Midwest , I end up waving, giving a thumbs up, etc. to everything from Miatas to Porsches, but often it is to return a thumbs up from another gearhead soul. Likely due to the fact that we are in truck heaven in Kneebrasky, it could be just a easy acknowledgement to any of those that like to go fast in style.Actually I have always gotten alot of thumbs up from Harley riders.

Just an observation from out here in the cornfields.:2tu: ( seemed an appropriate icon, ha)

I think you may be onto something Bill. Here in communist California, they hate anything American... guys in Porsches and Ferarris pretend I don't exist. The only waves I've ever gotten in my GTS was from one rt/10 going the opposite way on the freeway and an AC Cobra. At least I'm in good company. :)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Got my first Vette way yesterday in Laguna.

Not sure if the guy thought I was in a Vette or what.

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of waves, I was pulling out of a shopping center in my Jeep Cherokee, passed another Jeep in the parking lot. The guy driving was giving me all kinds of waves. I thought I was on fire or something :lmao: Wife says it's a Jeep thing , I was wondering what the hell his problem was :dunno:

V

Venomiss

Here in KC we wave to everyone! We hang out with all kinds of car owners:) Here is a pic from earlier today.

IMG_1245.jpg

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a guy in a silver C6 give me three quick flashes of the hi-beams, then a friendly wave today while in my SRT-10 on a quiet rural state highway. I think he was just being a nice guy and saying "nice car". I reciprocated. BTW, my plate reads NOTVETTE to prevent such misunderstandings.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mary--GORGEOUS pics of the cars at your home...LOVE all the cars!! As we said, we are CAR people, not just 'Viper' people. Looks like a great time at Venomiss's house!!! ~juli~

V

Venomiss

Juli,
Sorry to say it's not my house-it's the VP of the KC Club. They had a car "shower". If you see Dan's video it has pictures of all the cars there-lot's of them on the street also. It was a fun time had by all with brisket and car people. Yes, Corvettes too!:D Mary

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would need a (waving hand as a bobble head) on the top of my dash to keep up with every Vet guy that waved to me while driving. Maybe MGW could make one up for us in satin or chrome and we could get a group buy going?? :hahaup:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli,
Sorry to say it's not my house-it's the VP of the KC Club. They had a car "shower". If you see Dan's video it has pictures of all the cars there-lot's of them on the street also. It was a fun time had by all with brisket and car people. Yes, Corvettes too!:D Mary

Oh, very cool Mary!!! :cool: Would love to have a car 'shower' like that around here, to see all those gorgeous cars!! And, yes, the Vettes as well...glad you're appreciative of all cars also!! :2tu: ~juli~

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli,
Mmmm, brisket. I agree 100% with you Juli. When it comes down to it, we are all car enthusiasts. In fact some of the biggest fans of Vipers are my friends in one of the local car clubs. One couple was telling my wife and myself that they had an autistic grandson and how much he loved cars. They then proceeded to tell us that his favorite car of all is the Viper. They then asked us if I would do them a favor and give their grandson a ride in it the next time he is in town. I couldn't have agreed any faster. In fact we gave him and his brother yellow and red SRT-10 diecast cars to play with until we see them. So, to make things short, which I can never really do,:lmao: I wave to Vettes and Vipers and just about any cool car I see.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool, Alabaster!!! That lucky kid will NEVER forget your generosity. Good for you!!
And, yeah, I just feel bottom line: Respect. We DID head out in the Viper Sunday and had the waves from all various folks, but gotta say one blue Corvette guy (no Z06) with his girl with him, just refused to look our way, and continued to zig-zag back and forth in traffic to stay ahead of us, never allowing us to 'catch up' and pass him...which we just laugh at those antics!! The guy showing off for the girl and being arrogant...oh well...takes all types in this world, and we truly just laugh it all off, and stay going (around) the speed limit...we don't play around with these type of people, Mike has a commercial truck license, no sense in getting that taken away just to 'show up' arrogant people. We focus more on the positive feedback we get. Glad to meet others who do as well---there's enough negativity, isn't there?!! WHY add to it? (guess I can't do 'short and sweet' either!!)....juli