"Older Vipers Taste Like Chicken"

Dan Vargus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"Older Vipers Taste Like Chicken\"

I had posted this a couple of years ago but now it seems that it is time again: "A lot of fast cars in the past have had their day in the sun. The Viper while currently basking in the glow of unmatched performance may soon be a legend of the past. Daimler/Chrysler seems to be looking forward to the future of Viper while not watching the back door. These cars are fast and like all truly fast cars they eat up parts. Each and every day Daimler/Chrysler drops factory replacement Viper parts from their inventory. If older Vipers are not supported with original replacement parts and local Viper Tech.s how can the Viper really become a long-term player. Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, Mustang, and numerous others all enjoy a rich heritage bought and paid for by past passionate guys and gals like todays Viper owners and racers.
Fewer and fewer savvy buyers will be willing to lay down their cash for a car that after a few years will be difficult if not in possible to get needed replacement parts. We Viper/Autophiles are passionate about these cars and to a great degree passionate towards those who are willing to provide quality support.
The next generation FAST Cars rearview mirror may contain a fading image of the Viper. Keep an eye on that FAST Cars Bumper sticker "Older Vipers taste like chicken"...
Dan Vargus/GT2-001

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Older Vipers Taste Like Chicken\"

I eat one every now and then.
tongue.gif

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vette 550, why are you here? Dont you have to go post on the Vette board about how you beat a viper?

I wonder why no one on the Viper board carres about beating vettes? Perhaps its because out of the 100's of times Vipers race vettes the Vipers win 99.9% of and the other small numbers well you know.

Your Vette may be a nice car, and YOU may like it alot. But trust me when I tell you that anyone who owns a Viper could have bought 2 of YOUR vettes but didnt. Dont make me tell you why they wont buy a vette, lets just say they prefer a Viper.

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ M......I like Vipers alot. They are Awsome cars....You say u could have bought 2 Vettes for the price of your Viper.(man what a dumb thing to say)...My bike cost more than your so its better .....lol How do u know I dont have 2 Vipers? I know some of u guys on here and u guys are really cool.With guys like Russ its always about the money.Russ bring your Viper out to race my cheap slow 99% of the time Vette.(BRING IT)
redface.gif
I hope you other guys are more down to earth.I'm here for the same reason as you guys are, to read and to tallk bout cool cars and to learn more about vipers. Don't get mad at me when i say that i beat a viper or 2, like i said my weapon of choice is a vette
smile.gif
~ Sooooo now who wants to race? All on good fun guys

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">
Back on topic.....

Dan,

This has been a concern of mine for a while now and already one can begin to feel the Grim Parts Reaper's breath. Try to buy a new dash panel for a 1998 GTS? Doubt it, I got the second to the last one...

Beyond each of us acquiring thousands of dollars of spare parts (only to find that we need the one part that we didn't buy) what do you suggest? Is anyone documenting the original OEM suppliers list of the Viper or purchasing the used tooling or building up an inventory of soon to be obsolete parts? What about a cross reference, so we can find the equivalent non-Viper donor part, like the K-car ashtray? Equally important, what about one of our experienced Viper Techs listing all the Viper specific parts that he feels will need replacement over the life of the car?

Perhaps Jon B or Chuck Tator should put together a Viper survival kit, at various levels such as:

Silver kit = bare essentials like wires, ECM, gaskets, etc. A 5 year life extension.

Gold kit = all the above, plus engine bearings, water pump, door hinges, hood springs, etc. A 10 year life extension.

Platinum Kit = all the above plus whatever....

After restoring a few old musclecars and living with the hassle of trying to find NOS parts, I can attest that it's a pain in the butt.

In fact, I'm putting my list together now....

(Isn't there some legal requirement to support a vehicle for seven years?)</FONT f>

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do agree, and I was very surprised to here that parts are already becoming obsolete.

Help!

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Parts to repair crash damage worries me the most. In 5 years will we be able to buy a new frame, a new hood or other body panels, will the remaining pool of vipers be big enough to entice manufacturers of spurious parts once the OEM parts are exhausted.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got to agree- this potentially is going to be a very big problem. Already can't find brackets for the front splitter on my GT2, which are parts that will be needed eventually by any GT2 owner who drives the car since they are under the front fascia and easily scraped...

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Vargus:
I had posted this a couple of years ago but now it seems that it is time again: "A lot of fast cars in the past have had their day in the sun. The Viper while currently basking in the glow of unmatched performance may soon be a legend of the past. Daimler/Chrysler seems to be looking forward to the future of Viper while not watching the back door. These cars are fast and like all truly fast cars they eat up parts. Each and every day Daimler/Chrysler drops factory replacement Viper parts from their inventory. If older Vipers are not supported with original replacement parts and local Viper Tech.s how can the Viper really become a long-term player. Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, Mustang, and numerous others all enjoy a rich heritage bought and paid for by past passionate guys and gals like todays Viper owners and racers.
Fewer and fewer savvy buyers will be willing to lay down their cash for a car that after a few years will be difficult if not in possible to get needed replacement parts. We Viper/Autophiles are passionate about these cars and to a great degree passionate towards those who are willing to provide quality support.
The next generation FAST Cars rearview mirror may contain a fading image of the Viper. Keep an eye on that FAST Cars Bumper sticker "Older Vipers taste like chicken"...
Dan Vargus/GT2-001

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's got to be one of the stupidest Posts I've read so far! It's so meaningless you have to read it twice just to make sure you read it right & didn't leave something out.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vette 550 or whatever,

Interesting on how you are cut and pasting my words to what ever suits your needs. Why don't you go back and re read my post as well as your hp numbers, cause you got both of them wrong.

I said that we are NOT interested in hearing about how you beat vipers or pintos or hondas. Go post that on the Vette board for people who actually care/believe you.

No one cares if you had 20 vipers, point is that you came here to insult us and trust me its not working. Cause like I said if anyone here wanted a Vette they could have had at least one. Not because we are all rich(far from it) just because it happens to be that our cars cost way more than Vettes. Does that make more sense to your limited intellect?

You want to race? Sure come out to LA or tell me where it is you reside and next time I am there I be sure to look you up and give you a spanking. However, I only race at the track and cash is always involved. I travel most of this country every year around a racing circuit so let me know, I can always use more travel money
smile.gif

SRT#655

Viper Owner
Reaction score

YOU know you guys are right! Did you see the ad in the last issue of VM about the Gen. 1 motors...........first come basis....thats sounds bad. But who knows how many they have on in the warehouse?

Was just thinking the same thing when I read it.
Time will tell...........

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:
C'mon Robert, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like DC even gives a red rats a$$ what this guy thinks about them or their car. I'm sure they won't be able to sleep at night knowing he is 'outta here'.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Future access to OLD parts is being addressed right now.

As for the new engine fitting the original Viper's, I was told by PVO that the new one could not be mounted in the original. They explained why, but it was to technical for me to understand. This would be a good question to send to Viper Magazine. Then at least you can get a thorough answer.

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ M...Im not here to insult any one....Sorry if i did guys.....I just like fast cars and talking about them...Russ why do I need to re read my HP #'s?I have 550+ HP. I live in VA .You can email me when you can come up to race.I do not have a drag strip car and do not want to race one.My wife drives the car more than I do.I like to run on the street from a dead stop 1/4 mile.So if you have a real street car (not drag car)BRING IT!I will say it agin that I think Vipers are Awsome.Sorry to get this post of the topic guys....And Russ sorry for any insult. Its all in good fun.....Cory thanks for the nice words.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug Chase