? On Flywheel and Clutch

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys ,last year I installed a aluminum flywheel. Yes I gained throttle responce. But I gave up so much in return,RWHP,and torque. It seems like my car turned into a sled. I just purchased a chromoly flywheel, and was thinking of putting a dual fiction Center Force Clutch. Has anyone used this combination on there SRT10.:dunno:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It does not make any sense that you lost horsepower by putting in an AL flywheel. The only thing that you give up is rotational inertia which aids in getting going from a stop, but you will free up a few RWHP, quicker reving/faster shifting, etc.

Once the car is moving the flywheel could be 2 pounds and it wont matter, the car will still make the same or more horspower than if the flywheel was 102 pounds.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yelloh,

Daniel is correct as ususal. You don't loose HP or TQ with a lighter flywheel. You will gain throttle response though only very slightly. I found that a lighter flywheel helps with rev matching at the track during shifting.

I ran a Center force dual friction clutch with a RPS lightweight flyhweel for a while (which I still have) and it worked quite well. Break it in per their instructions. When I added power, I had to go with a stronger clutch / pp set up.

Dan:usa:

OP
OP
Y

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there, everyone I speak to says the same thing. Here is what I feel that happens. AfterI had Aluminum flywheel put in , I had it dynoed and it was less than what I had before. Now when I'm the 1/4 mile I notice I can't get into the 11 second mark. When I was doing it before.Now when I'm on a road coarse, I feel that I could pass someone on turns , but not aloud too. I know all vipers are pretty much the same,to a point. On a straight away it seems like the car makes alot of accelleration noise but isn't going as fast , and can see the person moving just alittle faster. I know I need alittle more HP ( who dosen't ). I just feel something isn't qiute right. I have headers , cats, DC computer upgraded.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi there, everyone I speak to says the same thing. Here is what I feel that happens. AfterI had Aluminum flywheel put in , I had it dynoed and it was less than what I had before. Now when I'm the 1/4 mile I notice I can't get into the 11 second mark. When I was doing it before.Now when I'm on a road coarse, I feel that I could pass someone on turns , but not aloud too. I know all vipers are pretty much the same,to a point. On a straight away it seems like the car makes alot of accelleration noise but isn't going as fast , and can see the person moving just alittle faster. I know I need alittle more HP ( who dosen't ). I just feel something isn't qiute right. I have headers , cats, DC computer upgraded.

This is a case of coincidence... nothing more. the flywheel it unrelated to all of the above accept possible the 1/4 mile, as the inertia may be low enough to hurt your launch, but you should be able to make up for that with a little more RPM's.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with what everyone has said above Rich. Are you 100% sure your clutch is not slipping? Do you smell anything burning? Our NASCAR Modifieds run extremely small lightweight flywheels and clutch setups in a 800 hp race car.

Robbie