One of my favorite upgrades, Engine Pre-Luber & Pressure Accumulator..

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As many of you may know, we had the engine in our '94 RT/10 rebuilt recently by Arrow for leaking head gaskets. While in for service and during their thorough inspection, they found that the camshaft bore was scored and needed to be machined. They bored it out and put in a service cam with larger journals. I don't know how many of you are aware of this, but the Viper V10 has no camshaft bearings. It never really bothered me until after we got the engine back. When we started the engine, we would hear "tick, tick, tick" while the engine was getting oil pressure and the lifters were pumping up for the first second or two. Because we now have a fresh motor and want to keep it that way, I decided to go ahead and make an improvement that I had been considering for quite a while.

About a month ago we installed a pre-lubrication / oil pressure accumulator system on the RT/10. With this system, we can fully pressurize the oil system before starting the engine. No more tick, tick, tick and no worries about cam bearings, rod bearings, main bearings, etc. running without oil pressure at startup.

Basically, the system consists of a sealed aluminum container that holds pressurized oil, an electric control valve, braided Teflon oil line and an adapter to "T" tap it into the factory oil cooler line (this is where it delivers and receives its oil pressure). The company's components we went with have some nice features. The system can be used as a pre-lubrication system for startup and an oil accumulator system (aka Accusump) for track events. With a three way switch, you can use the spring loaded position to turn it on temporarily for pre-lubrication purposes, then release it when the engine is ready to start. The control valve in the head of the accumulator tank has a one way feature in the off position that will allow the accumulator tank to refill itself and maintain the highest pressure the oil system gets to. That way, the next time you start the car, the accumulator tank has oil and is fully pressurized, ready to do it's job as a pre-luber at the next startup.

For track events, you'd turn the switch to the locked on position. As you're running around a long corner and the oil pan pickup starts to run dry, the accumulator will put it's pressurized oil into the engine, protecting the bearings from damage. This buys you about 4 to 5 seconds where you would otherwise could be running low oil pressure while cornering hard with high RPM's. No matter how good a wet sump oil pan (stock) is baffled, if you are cornering long enough, you can run out of oil in the baffled area. The accumulator makes a nice compliment to a baffled pan to make sure that doesn't happen.

In production sportscar road racing and drag racing, Accusump systems are common. We started using them on Corvettes in 1992 after wearing the sides off the connecting rods in road racing. There's only one drawback to most of the accumulator designs used in racing that make them not as desirable on the street. Most of them have a floating piston that separates the air from the oil. The piston has O-rings on it and at the end of a race season, they need to be replaced. As the piston is constantly moving back and forth, the O-ring tends to wear out. The company I used for ours has a unique design that doesn't have a moving piston that can wear out, so that makes it far more suitable for long term use.

Anyway, we've had it on the RT/10 for about a month now and it's working out great. So great in fact that I didn't even feel comfortable starting the GTS without one. I just put one on the GTS last night. It's worth tremendous peace of mind.

If anyone would like to see what it looks like, or would be interested in having one, let me know. I took pictures and am considering making a kit to put on the website.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,
I am interested in this. As you know I blew out two main bearings racing at Pocono, where we run the high bank, and destroyed a new crate V-10 with just over 2k miles on it. I would be looking for "insurance" against possibly loss of oil pressure the next time. Engines are just too expensive.

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count me in as well. Oil starvation is real in Vipers, and although I already have a fully baffled/deaper oil pan setup, the accumulator is the last piece to the puzzle.

Kudos on what sounds like another great product.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean
I'm interested as well. I've already got the deeper oil pan and baffles, and would like to see what you kit could do to round out the protection.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The photos are on the computer at the shop (I'm at home) and I'll post them tomorrow morning.

It's a pretty easy install, though it took a quite a few hours to set it up starting from scratch. With the mounting location setup, hose lengths and wiring harness already made to length (if we build kits), it would take an hour or less to install.

Regarding pricing, it's not set in stone yet. It looks like there is a fair amount of interest (justifiable). If we buy the components in volume, we can get the price down below what it cost me for mine ($450 in each by the time I was done with all the parts). I'll speculate it will be about $399 specifically setup for the Vipers. But to be honest, the volume is going to have the largest impact on the price. Build a few, it will probably be $450 each. Build a lot, it will be $399 or even less. I'll see what kind of volume prices I can negotiate Wednesday. At this point, this is not quite at the "New Product Announcement" stage.

Thanks,

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay, here are the post installation pictures on the RT/10 and GTS.

Here's the 2 quart Pre-Luber / Accumulator tank on the RT/10, just to the outside of the brake master cylinder. There's a pressure gauge at the bottom of the tank.
You must be registered for see images

On the Rt/10, I chose to hide the activation switch inside the dashboard air vent, under the steering column.

Here's the install on the GTS. Same size 2 quart tank. The only reasonable place to put it was just like on the RT/10, just to the outside of the brake booster / master cylinder. On 1996 and newer cars, this will require removal, relocation of the washer fluid tank which normally is mounted there.

On the GTS, I mounted the switch under the turn signal stalk.

I'm working on the prices and it looks like I should be right on at about $399. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, this would be a nice package. I personally do very few track events, so am not as concerned about a low oil pressure situation. However several years ago I looked at the available pre-lubers on the market since I was concerned about the wear the engine receives at start-up, especially if the car has set for any period of time. Synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 likely go along way to combat such wear, however as you stated there's alot to be said for "piece of mind". $399 for both a pre-luber and a positive pressure system is very inexpensive insurance for the Viper. I'm in... let me know when they're ready to ship.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh by the way Sean, would it be premature to request a polished oil holding tank
laugh.gif

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, Some accumulators will restrict the refill rate after they have dumped their load so they don't starve the motor by temporarly siphoning all of the oil away. Does your accumulator have this feature?

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Richard,
Polished aluminum is an option. I'll get the price on it.

Tom,
Yes, the valve design in these units does include the slow refill feature, which is a benefit.

Here's some of the text from the manufacturers flyer.
I did neglect to mention the product carries a lifetime guarantee.

Pressure
The Worlds Best Oil Additive...

No engine can survive without a consistent, and uninterrupted flow of pressurized oil. This is required to protect the critical bearing surfaces. When forced through the oiling system at a sufficient pressure, the layer of oil that is kept between the moving parts is there preventing the destructive consequences of metal to metal contact. If for some reason this flow of oil protection is interrupted or fluctuates then engine damage will occur.

In instances that inconsistent oil pressure and flow occur, the damage can range from catastrophic engine failure to seemingly very minor and insignificant scuffing, wear spots, strange wear patterns and the overheating of bearing surfaces, etc. However, testing and years of experience has shown that this type of accumulates with each occurrence adding to the wear and damage from the previous fluctuations. Eventually the load limit of the damaged part is exceeded and the consequences now become very evident, and expensive.

We have created and Patented a very simple, efficient, Prelubrication/Accumulator system that can stabilize an engines oil pressure during these times of instability and even has the ability to preliburicate an engine in as little as 3 seconds before it starts. We have recognized that in the real world, even with many aftermarket performance parts, stock engines oiling systems are inadequate for the necessary control of oil flow that are required to prevent engine damage. This is evident by the severe fluctuations that can be seen on a vehicles oil pressure gauge while under the extreme conditions of burn outs, acceleration, deceleration, cornering, etc. with the demands that today's performance and recreational vehicles are expected to operate under.

Whether it's a drag racing car, circle track, road course, boat, tractor puller, street rod or any other vehicle that has an engine, just the fact of being able to prelubricate the engine, before starting it will greatly benefit and increase the realiability of the entire engine. And with the added ability to stabilize oil pressure, you can stop that seemingly minor oiling system problem from turning into an expensive and major mechanical problem...

Why start your engine without oil if you don't have to!! Now there is a unique Patented system that will easily prelubricate your engine before every start up every time, even if it has been a week, a month, or just once a year. You can now stop "Dry Start Engine Damage". By forcing oil through the engines oiling system before starting it, you will replenish the layer of protection on critical surfaces, since this lubrication has, with time, run off these surfaces leaving them dry and unprotected. Maintains and stabilizes fluctuating oil pressure under severe driving conditions in racing, and other high performance applications. Your engine can be protected from the burnout through the extreme deceleration of the finish line, Automatically!

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On my car (GTS), I removed it completely and did not relocate it. Personally, it wasn't a concern as I had never used the windshield washer on either car. For other people, I'll include directions on replacing or relocating the tank. There is room to put it on the other side of the car.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

From a guy that lost a motor during simple testing at TRC, thank you! We live, we learn, we fix!

You've got my number, give me a call when they are ready to go.
DV

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay guys, here's the status:

I've received the quotation from the manufacturer and have finalized pricing on the units as well as the hoses, fittings, switches needed to build complete kits for Vipers.

The complete Viper kit will consist of: 1) 2qt. black powder coated aluminum cylinder, high flow marine grade brass electric solenoid valve, 3) 4 1/4 coated stainless steel band clamps, pre-assembled 5 ft of –6 Stainless Steel Teflon hose, a 3 position electric switch with wiring harness, stainless steel liquid filled gauge, hose adapters for Viper installation and complete color installation instructions.

The price will be $429.95 (edited) and will come with a lifetime manufacturers guarantee and Roe Racing product support. Optional polished aluminum tank is $50.00.

Please, do not order one from us right now. Though we have the pricing finalized, it will be about two weeks from today before we can have the first production ones ready to ship out and I hate to ask people to wait. in about a week and a half, I'll put the kit on our website and make an announcement on the board saying we're ready. A few people will get them in advance in order to test out the installation setup.

I can tell you, I'm really looking forward to hearing what you guys think about them. Like I said before, I don't even want to think of starting my engine without one.

Thanks,

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Pre-Luber / Accumulators are now in stock and ready for shipping. The price ended up being a little higher after freight, cost of fittings, preparation for Viper installation, etc, than I anticipated ($30 more), but it's still worth it.
Roe Racing Website
Also available in polished aluminum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang