Open face or closed face helmet for Viper driving only

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am attending an autocross event in the next 3 weeks and was wondering whether I should get an open faced or a closed face helmet as they require a helmet? I may also try a track event in the future such as ViperDays. Since I drive a GTS I am thinking open faced helmet, but am not sure. Thoughts?

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Closed is preferable. It is all about safety, and the closed is absolutely safer for face protection.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Closed face. It provides more protection and if you decide to do other racing events, you have the helmet you need. I did some open wheel racing a month ago. Pieces of tire and road debris fly at you and hit you in the face plate.

Reaction score
Watching the fastest guys on the planet, they all wear open face,,,,Rally......

With autocross, racing the clock, open face is for me, drags, sprint cars or possible contact with another vehicle closed is the only way to go...
JMO

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the fastest guys on the planet, they all wear open face,,,,Rally......

With autocross, racing the clock, open face is for me, drags, sprint cars or possible contact with another vehicle closed is the only way to go...
JMO

No, the fastest guys are F1 drivers, and they wear closed face :)

Seriously, though. I think it's bad advice to tell someone to wear open face if they are doing anything more than an autocross. I was in a Viper GTS during a wreck... the airbags deployed, and chipped a few pieces off of my helmet. Better than pieces off of my face.

Reaction score
Even a Nascar driver is fast in a F1 car, Achilles99 you could be fast toooo :p

The rally boys are flying around blind turns slideways and rarely repeat the same area...TO ME them guys are the fastest...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary C is right. For real racing against other cars or even high speed track events, closed is best. And you want a good fire suit and gloves too.

For autocross you will want to see better. Go with open for autocross. I can't see much reason for any helmet in autocross. You don't have a roll bar, cage or even a window net. There shouldn't be anything to hit should you go off course.
The car probably isn't going to catch fire from contact with a cone.

I'd get a very good closed face for real track events and an inexpensive open face for the autocross.

How fast do you go in an autocross anyway?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even a Nascar driver is fast in a F1 car, Achilles99 you could be fast toooo :p

The rally boys are flying around blind turns slideways and rarely repeat the same area...TO ME them guys are the fastest...

I could be fast in a straight line in an F1 car, but that's about it. The F1 guys are going 200 mph+... you don't think that requires skill? I'm not saying rally car drivers aren't good drivers, I'm just saying F1 is better. By FAR.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good rally drivers might get picked to drive F1.

How many F1 guys are waiting for a chance to rally?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary C is right. For real racing against other cars or even high speed track events, closed is best. And you want a good fire suit and gloves too.

For autocross you will want to see better. Go with open for autocross. I can't see much reason for any helmet in autocross. You don't have a roll bar, cage or even a window net. There shouldn't be anything to hit should you go off course.
The car probably isn't going to catch fire from contact with a cone.

I'd get a very good closed face for real track events and an inexpensive open face for the autocross.

How fast do you go in an autocross anyway?

I wear a closed face for several reasons... even in the GTS on an autox course. Some lots are dirty, and blow a lot of dust around. I always have the option to put the face shield down. I've also been hit by road debris... you have a closed cockpit, but your windows have to be down. Stuff WILL get in eventually. I had a cone hit me in the face once. Haha.

Another good reason for closed helmet (in addition to the protection factor) is shaded visors. I have about 4 different ones for my helmet, for different weather conditions. I used to wear sunglasses with the helmet, but not after that track incident.

Joe-You asked about speeds for autox. I've gotten up to 65-70 mph (according to my passenger) on one course (granted, it was faster than normal courses). I've also heard of some autocrosses where cars have flipped after hitting curbs, too. You can never be too safe :)

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F-1 drivers have the best hand-eye coordination on the planet. Far better than top gun fighter pilots, and that is saying something.

I will agree, those Rally drivers are extremely impressive and the point of an unrehearsed track is a good one.

Those two types of drivers probably make a better comparo than when they swapped seats with a NASCAR and F-1 driver.

Chad

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a video of a blue Vette running over someone in the crowd during an autocross so I know everything isn't as safe as it should be.
Still,
You are giving up some vision with a closed face helmet. The padding around your eyes gives a tunnel vision effect.

If it were me, I'd roll up the windows. The guy did say he had a GTS.
The reason to roll up the windows would be to keep your head, arms and hands inside the car should you hit that curb and turn over.

About 40 years ago, me and my Beevus and Butthead friends had a Fiat 600 that we autocrossed.

One of the guys did turn it over. He had his hand on the rain gutter at the top of the open window, holding on.

He broke a few fingers. The interesting thing was that you could see four dents all in a row on the rain gutter where his fingers were.

Roll up the windows. Wear some sun glasses for tint.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't roll up the windows if I were you. There are so many turns in an autocross, that you WILL hit your head against the glass eventually. The GTS doesn't have much room in there :)

I've heard stories where people have shattered their side windows. How embarrassing is that!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick a foam pad on the side of your helmet.

I really think autocross is tame enough to need no helmet at all.

Most drag strips don't require a helmet unless you are under 14 seconds or so.
I know that any Viper is going to do better than that but what I mean is, they let cars get up to about 100 mph, two at a time, with no helmet.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Windows down ALWAYS in case someone needs to get to you from outside the vehicle.

The OP says he may try a DE / ViperDays event in the future. That alone should dictate closed face.

I am not realy sure why a GTS would make a difference? There's still the chance for flying debris and RT's have windows, too.

One thing I have learned - don't skimp or buy something to just "get by". You'll end up buying the "right" thing eventually and you'll be out more money than if you'd have ponied up the cash to do the right thing in the first place - as you've made 2 purchases - just delayed the right one.......

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now see, you didn't read what I said.

I told him to get a very good closed face for real speed events. I told him to get a good fire suit and gloves too.

I told him to get an open face for autocross.

I don't think he should skimp on anything.

Windows up or down I'd say is a judgement call.

In an autocross, what is the chance that someone is going to have to get in the car to help you?
Well, there is some chance of that, not much I'd say.

What is the chance that you will somehow turn the car over and stick your head, arms or hands out the open window?
I'd say that might happen.
I did see it happen.

Window up is the safest considering what might happen in an autocross.
If the window is up you don't need a closed face.

"I am not realy sure why a GTS would make a difference?"
Cuz I was thinking that's the Viper with real windows. I wasn't thinking of an RT with decent windows. I've got a gen1.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will find that while you are learning with an instructor in the car, you will not be able to talk to him with a full faced helmet. The open faced helmets make it much easier to communicate over the roar of the exhaust and the wind in the side windows.
Jerry Scott

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will find that while you are learning with an instructor in the car, you will not be able to talk to him with a full faced helmet. The open faced helmets make it much easier to communicate over the roar of the exhaust and the wind in the side windows.
Jerry Scott

Wow, I've never been to a DE that didn't require full-face helmets. That's a brave instructor who will ride with a newbie without having a closed helmet...

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And - there's a little think called a headset racio that most instructors carry so that you CAN talk to each other within your helmets.

For the best one helmet, safest, easiest and long term least expensive solution, get a full faced helmet.

(And Joe - I knew you were Gen I roadster focused - just thought I'd razz you on the windows statement...;))

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sonny said it all. Absolutely, closed face.

This is crazy. Are you going to listen to the guys that actually race or the ones that sit here on the boards and say things ridiculous things like "I really think autocross is tame enough to need no helmet at all" or "For autocross you will want to see better". Not sure if it is just me but I am more concerned about seeing better going 150 mph over a crest into a corner at a track than at 50 mph in a parking lot. Vision is critical on a track and the vast majority of road racers wear closed face helmets (exceptions I can think of being a few NASCAR guys). Besides, ever think of moving your head to look where you are going? And the thought of no helmet at all......I'm not even going to go there.

All track events require windows to be down. Shattered glass or no escape/no outside assistance = bad.

Your ears are covered in both open and closed face helmets unless someone is suggesting those Harley soup bowl helmet thingys. It is hard to hear either way.

Head sets are cheap and work great.

Please go with a closed face!

Best regards,

OP
OP
D

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent arguments all around. Thanks for all the input. And I feel convinced that a closed faced helmet is best for my needs. Now I just looked on www.helmetcity.com and there are so many choices. I understand SA2000 certified is the minimum, but what other features must/should I consider in a helmet to safekeep my big noggin'? At first glance the Bell X-15 looks like a decent middle of the road helmet. Thoughts?

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
(exceptions I can think of being a few NASCAR guys).

Wasnt Dale Earnhardt Sr. wearing a open face helmet at Daytona in 2001?....YES

I was watching the Satellite Feed of the 2001 24 hours at Daytona, and during one of the commercial breaks, when the regular viewers are watching commercials I could still watch the race......At one point they had Jackie Stewart in the booth as a guest and during one of the breaks, not when they were on air, they showed Dale Sr. in car camera, driving one of the Corvettes....Jackie Stewart (one of the first drivers to promote safety in racing) was flabbergasted that they would let him wear an open face helmet........a couple weeks later we lost Dale...........BUY THE BEST CLOSED FACE HELMET YOU CAN GET!!!
Best of luck to you and have fun racing.
Cheers,

txlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most surely you need a closed face helmet...i was in the hospital for 9 months from a wreck at daytona back in 1978...i bounced off the wall and smacked the wheel so hard it broke the front chin area of the helmet right off!!!...if it weren't for the full face helmet i'd not had a face...at least thats what the doc said....i still have that helmet to remind me to always put on one when i go riding my bike or go racing or whatever...in fact i have 5 helmets now....and i will never wear a open face ...jus my 2cents here...Len

Reaction score
With the tragic loss of Sr. seat belts should be check yearly or replaced. JMO

yes closed helmets are safer than open, I like my open, when I start approaching high speeds then a closed face will be in order,,,

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
F-1 drivers have the best hand-eye coordination on the planet. Far better than top gun fighter pilots, and that is saying something.

I will agree, those Rally drivers are extremely impressive and the point of an unrehearsed track is a good one.

Those two types of drivers probably make a better comparo than when they swapped seats with a NASCAR and F-1 driver.

Chad

I have to disagree with this statement. What F1 driver has done 1400 mph? or maybe a 9g turn? or someone trying to kill them while they are driving?
I have the answer..............none!
F1 drivers live in a 2D world, where fighter pilots live in a 3D world, totally different and cannot even be compared to one another.
I drive on the freeway at 80 mph without a helmet at all, I guess this makes me crazy.
Open face helmet for autocross will be fine, but for other competitive driving I would go with a closed face. BTW, fighter pilots have ejected above Mach 1 with an open faced helmet, and have had no head injuries, but we are comparing apples and oranges.