OPEN LETTER TO DR. ROOF AND VIPER COMMUNITY

BLOWNGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To whom it may concern:

While I have sent David Boggs two private messages offering my apology, as of 2/13/04 I have yet to receive any formal or informal response from him. While technically I did nothing illegal or outside the current Viper National rules, I do agree my actions were not in the best interest of sportsmanship. I am sorry if my or Kevin's actions did anything to undermine the integrity of the recent Viper Nationals held in Orlando, Florida. I can assure you in future Viper Nationals or track sponsored events we will act with professionalism and respect for those around us at all times.

Regards,
Matthew Yates

--------------------
http://www.undergroundracing.com

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: BLOWNGTS Story - Let it go everyone

Condensed version. I made a mistake.

Long version. I could not make the trip to Fl as I went to the Superbowl the previous week and could not secure a hall pass. So I sent Kevin my tuner with my car. Obviously I have taken a lot of negative heat over the last 6 months about my how my car would never even make it on the dyno less yet run down the track so needless to say Kevin had a chip on his shoulder to begin with.

The dyno gots screwed up, nobodys fault but starts bad blood as Kev felt he did not get the reconigtion he deserved for the most HP. See explantion from Larry the shop owner. Plus he was convinced David had methanol injection on his car making Kev feel like it was not a blower only car. Who gives a [******], right? All 20/20 now brother I know.

Then Kev goes to the track late Sat to race and is told he cannot b/c he is not the owner of the car. He calls me, I keep the title in the glove box, so nieve me tells him to just take possession of the car by sigining it, big mistake. While it was not illegal or outside the rules it was in poor judgement and not in the best interest of sportsmanship. I only did it so I could get my car on the track. I was not trying to cheat to win money or trophies. Just wanted passes on street tires to see what this baby would do. No one believed that and some still don't.

Then Sun., after the Sat. fiasco fueling the fire, Kev got into an arguement with someone or something to that effect. There was people saying he threw debris up on purpose on his last pass on the track, he promised me he did not do such thing, at least not intentional. As you can see from the times he is a good driver.

He gets back from Fl. I post a bunch of non-sense I should have not about David's car and then he post a thread I am banned from racing in Nationals for a year. I decide to step back take a deep breath and be the better man by PMing him and apologizing. No response. So I send another, still no response. So here we are with an open letter of apology to him and anyone else myself or Kevin **********. It is sincere, as this whole incident has weighed heavy on me as I am an honest person and businessman. I cannot change what happened but I can and will not let my emotions get the best of me or Kevin again at any event.

The shame of the whole thing is my car pulled 825 on the dyno, 100 hp lower than Charlotte, but it was very humid and hot that day, and my car ran 9.7 on drag radials trapping 143mph. All on a purely stock motor with a Paxton. Not even headers. Oh well you live and learn I guess. Sorry this is so long, maybe if you get the time you can pass the information along to those interested as I am just plain tired of rehashing it. I made a mistake. Thanks for listening. Peace, Matt Yates

Why do I say let it go? Because I don't think he did anything "wrong". he made a mistake. A stupid one yes, but a mistake nonetheless. Ever since he came on the boards he was given crap about him lieing about his car and it's power. So when things go badly and he tries to prove the naysayers wrong, he does something maybe a bit unusual, but in the interest of truth. Look, if people are honestly pissed over this, they need to grow the hell up. I feel it more of a bit of jealousy then anything else. He has a insane car, and proved people wrong, and now thos epeople are pissed. Grow up everyone. I am "close" to getting a Viper and have desired one since I was like 12 (now 23). I read too much of this crap on these boards.

BLOWNGTS - I personally believe you should say "to hell with all the naysayers". if you are banned, forget them. I don't see why they would, but unfortunately those in power do not necessarily have "open minds". Let this go everyone. Next time you have a chance to run this car, go for it. Prove the people wrong again, and again, and again. Too many a time people forget how blessed they are in life. You have a beast of a car man, be proud and forget about the people who want to give you crap. They want to start crap with you? Just finish it on the track or strip. If they don't step up, they are not worth a moment of your time. Rock on Matt... :headbang: :2tu:

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I say let it go. Clean slate. The grown up thing to do on both sides.

OP
OP
B

BLOWNGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

:confused: This is my PRIVATE MESSAGE I sent to Francisco. While I do appreciate the support, again my intentions were not to stir the *** anymore. He asked for an explaination of events in Fl. as I saw/heard them. I have mixed emotions about this post as I am not sure what good, if any, it will serve. I am however sorry, albeit from a lack of good judgement while my car was in Florida at Nationals. Matthew Yates

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you asking or TELLING DrRoof to except your apology???
9.7 on drag radials??? can you post a picture of your timeslip and the radial tire you raced with to make that 9.7 pass?
Thank you,
Max

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It's hard to read this post without all of the colorful expletives we have all come to expect when reading about this subject on the banned site.

Either way, you have done all you can do, your apologies are either accepted or not.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I say you should be allowed to race. You found a loophole, good for you! But.... my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Carrot...

Your opinion is worth more than a dollar in a ****'s Purse Anyday!! Skip the Coffee!!!

Jay K.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BAM, BAM, BAM, that horse is dead. He apologized, let it go!

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, rules are there for a reason, and if they dont work, then change the rule... why get mad at someone because the rule didn't work?

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been following the story since the event. My feeling is that David worked very hard for no other reason than he loves it. He has made a decision and now you just have to follow it. Nice that you are apologizing now, but you are singing a whole new tune now. Your attitude along with your actions is what got you in this mess. I don't know you and you may be a really nice guy, but for the most part you don't come off that way online. Next year is not that far away, and there are not that many events that you will miss.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I only need to know one thing, did he actually break any rules ? not did he do something people didn't "like", but did he break any actual set rules? And if he did, specifically which ones were they?

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FranciscoR
To answer your question there are maybe 200 + post about did he or did he not. There are post on 2 different sites that will answer all of your questions.

Marc Lublin
Correct, live and learn.

Dr. Roof is an honest and good person that has to take control and set this race series in stone so it might be here for many years. If he lets it get out of hand it could dissolve into nothing. I stand behind his final word either way. In the future a race committee needs to be formed to take some of the pressure from Roof. Has anyone ever watched him at the race. He runs from one side to answer a question and runs back to answer another. It's a wonder that he even has time to race. If he had the same free time the other racers have his times (et) would be even better. To answer a question and then jump into your car for a qualifying run and after the run not have the time to attend to your car but to answer other questions has to be hard. This is why I am backing Roof 100%, his time is very valuable as he is to the success of this series.
my 2.5cents

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's funny someone asks for prayers in time of adversity but cann't forgive someone who made a mistake and apologize in front of the whole viper community. Dave you were right, suspend him for a couple races and move on.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ronviper
what does asking for prayers for a wife have to do with forgiveness?
Maybe if all the argument about right or wrong and the letter of apology would have came in mush sooner this would have worked out different.
Let him race is not my decision but to all the keyboard racers we need you to be at the next race in BG. Take a vacation day and support the V-10 Nationals, Thank you and have a nice day.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have sent Blown GTS a Response to this issue. The matter is under review.

As for the questions of did they break the rules the answer is YES they Did. (speaking of the people who actually had the car at the track) There was nothing that could be done until after the fact due to the nature of the situation. It could not be proven either way until afterwards. There are safety concerns as well.

This is not a matter of Forgiveness. This is not even personal for me. This is about upholding the integrity of the V-10 Nationals Race series. Rules where in place and designed to keep the event as fair as possible. With rules their has to be an enforcer of the rules! As for now I am the only one (working on a committee to help) I have to make tough decisions and sometimes they may not be popular! But I promise I will always attempt to do the right and fair thing.

It seems that People are testing the water to see what the popular opinion is and then an apology. Is this sincere? I'm not sure. I would prefer not to be having this problem!

I will handle this with care and I will make the right decision.

thanks

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have sent Blown GTS a Response to this issue. The matter is under review.

As for the questions of did they break the rules the answer is YES they Did. (speaking of the people who actually had the car at the track) There was nothing that could be done until after the fact due to the nature of the situation. It could not be proven either way until afterwards. There are safety concerns as well.

This is not a matter of Forgiveness. This is not even personal for me. This is about upholding the integrity of the V-10 Nationals Race series. Rules where in place and designed to keep the event as fair as possible. With rules their has to be an enforcer of the rules! As for now I am the only one (working on a committee to help) I have to make tough decisions and sometimes they may not be popular! But I promise I will always attempt to do the right and fair thing.

It seems that People are testing the water to see what the popular opinion is and then an apology. Is this sincere? I'm not sure. I would prefer not to be having this problem!

I will handle this with care and I will make the right decision.

thanks
I know that you will make the right decision on this David. I really enjoyed the event and hope to see all of you in Bowling Green
Chad

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dr. Roof is an honest and good person that has to take control and set this race series in stone so it might be here for many years. If he lets it get out of hand it could dissolve into nothing. I stand behind his final word either way. In the future a race committee needs to be formed to take some of the pressure from Roof. Has anyone ever watched him at the race. He runs from one side to answer a question and runs back to answer another. It's a wonder that he even has time to race. If he had the same free time the other racers have his times (et) would be even better. To answer a question and then jump into your car for a qualifying run and after the run not have the time to attend to your car but to answer other questions has to be hard. This is why I am backing Roof 100%, his time is very valuable as he is to the success of this series.
my 2.5cents
Man you could not have said it any better. David runs his end off at these events.
C~

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

David, we're behind you. Not everyone realizes the work it takes as a volunteer. No one has accused you of doing anything to improve your own personal racing situation -- hurry up and get that committee in place so that never becomes a situation. It seems that Matthew has remorse over what happened and you have to give him credit for apologizing in front of everyone -- that's the way it should be done. Take your time, think it through, and do what is best for the future of the V-10 Nationals and Viper ownership in general. Thanks for your efforts and your character.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I only need to know one thing, did he actually break any rules ? not did he do something people didn't "like", but did he break any actual set rules? And if he did, specifically which ones were they?

:rolleyes: why do you need to know this? You were not even there or even involved. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960