Opinion on crate motors -- Good or bad??

davisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need advice on buying a Mopar Performance crate motor. I want to install a 426 hemi motor in my 1970 Cuda. Does anyone have experience with crate motors? Are they well built? Reliable? Or am I better off having a motor built by hand? I would really appreciate opinions so I can make an informed decision before spending 10K plus. Thanks. PD

bounce.gif

1997 GTS, 70 Cuda, 1976 Aspen Pro-street

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it is tough to find engine builders for the V-10, plenty of engine builders out there for a Hemi. I think for drag racing engines, there are a lot of cheaper ways with more HP out there than going to DC.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard part might be getting a real hemi core. If enhancing the value of the car is important I would go with a crate motor. Secondary buyer would probably feel more comfortable with a Chrysler product than an unknown builder. (May be wrong if the builder is legendary)

If you have an original Hemi in the car now you will want to have that one built, and maintained in it's original location.

Hemi crate motor has been fantastically successful for Chrysler. They have been back ordered since offered years ago.
Do you have a Hemi in your Cuda now?

If building a racing engine, then consider a high HP monster from a builder.

Either way enjoy your CUDA!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you considering putting the Hemi into your AAR?? I hope not, if you have a real AAR I would recommend leaving it, if it
has the 340 TA engine of course...

Re the crate motors, I believe they are a good value, and all new parts! I have heard 2nd and 3rd hand that you should not just install them and fire it up...There have been a few problems which could have been caught by a partial tear down and inspection...Sorry I don't have more specifics (like what to look for before installing) but I think I can recommend another list for you where there are some specifics. Mail me and let me know. Tomer [email protected]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boostedtaco