Ouestions about BK and my order

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like many others would like to know how to proceed since Chrysler is now in Chapter 11....I have a ACR on order with a $2,500.00 deposit. If a BK judge decides to ax a bunch of dealerships and mine is on the list do I lose that money.? Should I just try to get my deposit back now stating the above.? At best we are looking at a 60 day shutdown and maybe more(probably) and rumors abound about the permanent closure of Conner Ave...
IF its just Chap 11 and things get rolling again will whoever takes over be obligated to fill the orders already processed or are we SOL? I dont mind waiting but Iam not sure if I can even sell my 08 SSG now that Dodge crushed its resale value..Another thing that worries me more is the QUALITY aspect of the car I will receive...The people making these cars will be in a whole different frame of mind and I dont blame them,quality will suffer....:(.
Chap. 7 will really mean bad things for the Viper world and Party Over which is not a far-fetched issue.......Iam not trying to bring gloom and doom and I know some will say Iam beating a dead horse but I want to know for myself....You can PM me if you dont want to stir the ***......Kevin

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin-
From what I have read, just relax. The plants are shutdown for 30-60 days (maybe more). Once all the issues are taken care of, they will go back to work. Parts will be ordered and paid for so cars can be assembled. Conner is to be open thru 2010 so I doubt there will be many quality issues.

PBR

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a little behind on my thread reading...so it has been confirmed that Conner is shut down for 30-60 days?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Kevin - I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you put it on your credit card, you could always dispute the charge if things go south at the dealership. I'm not sure how the process works when a dealership goes under, but I think that their inventory and obligations get taken over by another dealership - so you'd still get your car one way or another as per your purchase agreement.

Regarding the price of your car, I'd suspect that the price is going to go up if anything. Law of supply and demand - there aren't many of them out there, and there are a lot of people that want to get one before they're gone forever (that seems to be the prevailing attitude among people I've talked to who don't know the whole story).

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Brian,

All Chrysler Plants are shut down 30-60 days, not just Conner. They are essentially closed until the quick , surgical Bankruptcy is handled and then things will crank up again.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aspirations I'm in the same boat as you and have the exact same concerns. I changed the order of my 09 SRT 10 21A package to a 21B package with Dual Silver stripes and delete black center band two tone. Which we all know means I upgraded to an ACR with Silver stripes. My dealer told me today not to worry His rep said plants would be closed a min of 30 days max 60. They feel every day over 30 will be costing them money what with cars on order and supply needed, so they will certainly rush to get back into production, makes sense to me. As far as quality goes I figure it this way. 1st The staff will be rested from the time off, it will feel good to work again. 2nd they will no longer have to work with the fear of the company going into chapter 11 and closing down permanently. 3rd they will want to put out quality products so they atract many quality potential buyers. Also remember these workers are some of the best in the Chrysler system it in their nature to do a great job! They will not let us down.I Hope these thoughts help put some of your concerns to rest.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't agree that Dodge has crushed the resale value of your SSG. If anything, I would bet that anyone on the fence will be buying them up due to all the rumors.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a strange world when we write a check and worry the bank will bounce. We have to worry more about the car company's credit than they have to worry about ours.

OP
OP
ASPIRATIONS

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't agree that Dodge has crushed the resale value of your SSG. If anything, I would bet that anyone on the fence will be buying them up due to all the rumors.

YOU DONT????? TRY to sell my car for me and get 80K..thats what I need to get for it....Dealers only want to give me 60-65K and thats for a ACR trade and MOST will not even take one including Ferrari dealers....Crap even my own (site sponser dealer) will not give me a deal on it..:rolleyes: PLease dont get me going....Iam probably going to try and get my deposit back if I can.:(

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF you have prepaid money ad Chrysler goes bankrupt, you are technically a creditor and could get screwed. You may have a claim that gets priority as it is a deposit, but you may spend more money pursuing your money than you get back.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOU DONT????? TRY to sell my car for me and get 80K..thats what I need to get for it....Dealers only want to give me 60-65K and thats for a ACR trade and MOST will not even take one including Ferrari dealers....Crap even my own (site sponser dealer) will not give me a deal on it..:rolleyes: PLease dont get me going....Iam probably going to try and get my deposit back if I can.:(

A dealer is not going to give you anywhere near what your car is worth. If a dealer had your car right now, they would probably price it in the mid to high 80's and come close to getting it, especially with the low 135 miles you have on it and the SSG. After all, that is a special car. Before you give it to a dealer for 60K, PM me and I will take it in a heartbeat. If I were you, I would lay low a while and not be trying so hard to sell it. People are just like animals and they smell desperation and want an easy kill. You may be on to something to have someone else try to sell it for you, because you have had that car for sale a good while. I hope I am not coming across as too harsh, I am just trying to give you some help. :)

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Mopar488 - take a deep breath, try to step away from the situation a bit, and maybe have someone else sell it on consignment? That car is worth over $80k in a good market without a question. Not many cars made it out of CAAP during the very short re-opening, so the market isn't glutted with cars. Summertime is right around the corner, and there is a LOT that is going to happen before CAAP reopens, so you have plenty of time to get the car sold - and this is the best time of the year to sell them. Worst case scenario is that you have to leave your ACR at the dealership for a while if you need extra time to get your car sold - I'm sure they'd work with you on that. It'll work out.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dodge has crushed the resale value on all Vipers

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge has crushed the resale value on all Vipers

I would have to disagree,

Dodge kind of SCREWED all of us loyal viper owners,

Dodge SCREWED themselves,

How?

By selling the cars openly for 1/3 off the list price,

They prematurely depreciated ALL the vipers they had already sold,

They Killed the chance of selling the Viper line, really who would buy something that had just been given away? They would have been better off offering a great deal on inventory to a prospective buyer.

They gave away profit on cars they had in inventory and therefore cost themselves operating profit.

Your SSG coupe is now worth a lot less than you want or need to get for it, and it is not your fault!

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin,

Honestly, I should have bought your car way back when I was looking at a SSG, as I wanted a Coupe first and foremost. As you recall though, I needed to trade my 06' Coupe at the time, so it just wouldn't have worked out, unfortunately.

I'm finally resigned to the fact that my car is worth 30K less (a year later) and figure if I'm going to get the ACR that I should have gotten to begin with (hindsight is 20/20), I just have to **** it up and pull the trigger, as there may not be a better time to do so (and she'll be here tomorrow!). I figure this will be a long time keeper for me, so I'm okay with it. However, had I bought your car to begin with, I don't know that I'd be looking for an ACR at this point. All of our situations are different, so I wish you the best with your decision, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one at this point.

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said it to you once---here it is again---stick that thing under a cover in your garage and forget about for a couple of years--keep it under 500 miles and you will MAKE money on that car. I bet in 2 or 3 years you could get closer to 100k for that car.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if it is definately purchased by another as stated by Aspirations will the quality be there? Remember AMF as they took over Harley Davidson

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about - either as it relates to the deposit (your car will be built - maybe even today), build quality under a new owner, or even resale down the road. All of this is being addressed currently and we are very optimistic about things to come - both in the short term and the long term.

OP
OP
ASPIRATIONS

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin,

Honestly, I should have bought your car way back when I was looking at a SSG, as I wanted a Coupe first and foremost. As you recall though, I needed to trade my 06' Coupe at the time, so it just wouldn't have worked out, unfortunately.

I'm finally resigned to the fact that my car is worth 30K less (a year later) and figure if I'm going to get the ACR that I should have gotten to begin with (hindsight is 20/20), I just have to **** it up and pull the trigger, as there may not be a better time to do so (and she'll be here tomorrow!). I figure this will be a long time keeper for me, so I'm okay with it. However, had I bought your car to begin with, I don't know that I'd be looking for an ACR at this point. All of our situations are different, so I wish you the best with your decision, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one at this point.

Are you trading in your SSG vert.?? What ACR are you getting.???? Kevin

OP
OP
ASPIRATIONS

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I called my dealer and got my deposit back.....He told me he has heard nothing good and at least 90 days of nothing....Iam having him mail me a copy of the return deposit and I still will have first right of refusal on the car if it is ever built.....I will still keep my car for sale and maybe go a different route if it sells...:( GOOD LUCK to those waiting on your ACRs.. Kevin

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Socrates, I saw that car on Ebay and knew it wouldn't last the whole auction... NICE CHOICE!!!!

PICS ASAP please !!!!!!! :)

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about - either as it relates to the deposit (your car will be built - maybe even today), build quality under a new owner, or even resale down the road. All of this is being addressed currently and we are very optimistic about things to come - both in the short term and the long term.

Chris - is CAAP still up and running? I'm getting totally confused - if there are still cars being built 'today' then there are things going on that definitely take me by surprise. Could you please elaborate on that?

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris - is CAAP still up and running? I'm getting totally confused - if there are still cars being built 'today' then there are things going on that definitely take me by surprise. Could you please elaborate on that?

I was getting ready to ask question. Glad I'm not the only one that's confused by Chris' post. Look forward to hearing his response.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard from a recently retired Dodge employee at a Motor City event on Sunday---CAAP ran last week and was scheduled to run this week, too. That's all I know.

Bill

snakeyes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there any new info on if CAAP is running this week. I have a black coupe that was scheduled to be built on April 27. The wait is killing me. I don't know if I can wait another 60 days.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard from my dealer and he says it's closed for the next 30 to 60 days... Everything with a build schedule is apparently pushed out for a couple of months. He hasn't actually been to CAAP this week to verify in person that it is closed, but it's the case as far as he's heard.