over heating

prowl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 GTS and it seem like it is over heating when I dive in a parking lot the car get to the last mark to the red mark but when going down the hwy it will go down to the last of the 3 mark in stop and go and will go about middle mark in open road. Is this nomal or is this a problem and what degree is the next to last mark.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Steve. Do a search on this. Is been talked about quite a bit and there are many reasons that this car could over heat.

Good Luck

OP
OP
P

prowl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I call the dealer too day and they said in this kind of wearher that they will run hot they may even go to the red mark but have not had any motor problems yet also when I turn on the a.c. the temp would stay on the mark close to the red mark and not come down.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, try dumping in two bottles of redline water wetter, and maybe cutting down the antifreeze % to 25% and then run 75% distilled water in the warmer months. Works for me, I had the same issue with my 97 and it now runs fine, still hot, but fine.

Good luck,

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to do the following, going to the red mark is not right: cheap tests
- Burp, spend hours searching this board on burping and learn every trick possible, jack right front side, bleeder hoses, etc.
- Replace radiator cap with newer model one. Black top, spring loaded center
- Clamp 3 push on fittings on hose between radiator cap tank and front facia. $2 will buy you one of those Help clamp kits (6 or 9 spring band hose clamps various sizes) at an autoparts store.
- Test antifreeze, MANY errors are made adding antifreeze since the block holds a lot of fluid many overfill with antifreeze