P0430 Code?

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My OBD-II Reader says catalytic converter operating below efficiency bank 2. 2009 ACR 980 miles with Belangers, hiflow cats, and stock exhaust. Came on after an evening drive. Past break in miles , so I am no babying the car anymore.... My quick search show a couple of possible causes:

• The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
  • An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
  • There is an exhaust leak.
I'm figuring since the Belangers are installed, the dealer will say it is not a warranty issue.

Thanks for any ideas.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told this was caused by loafing it down the hwy for extended periods of time in 6th. Mark J with Woodhouse knows quite a bit about this.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not necessarily 6th gear just driving at low rpm is the issue..o2 sensors picking up increased unburnt fuel.......My code went off twice...just cleared it myself with an actron.. no issues since....the cheap p0305 works fine....

Actron®

here is a previous woodhouse quote.....If you are driving with very little RPM or load for a while the rear 02 sensors can see too much residual fuel and pop a CEL for cat inefficiency. The light will go off with some spirited driving to clear the code. This has been common with owners that are taking trips at low RPM 1400 and less.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/621215-belanger-headers.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't running hard, but I wasn't loafing it either - I generally jump on it when I get a clear section of road, so I was definitely in the higher RPM ranges... :) I have an Actron CP9175 scanner which I used to read the code when I got home. Based on what you guys are saying, might be best to just clear the code with my scanner and see if it re-appears. What you guys saying about unburnt fuel in the cats sounds like it could lead to a high heat issue in the cats - potentially dangerous. I will watch for signs of high side sill temps, just in case.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Time for a Mopar controller... that'll fix it... the stock computer can tell if cats other than production are in use.

"High flow" cats are pretty useless and the stock computer will detect that out on the freeway under steady state conditions.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, on my GenII I got this CEL after driving/loafing on the highway for 3 straight hours. Engine temps never got above 180. When I pulled off the highway and was waiting at a stop light idling away, the CEL came on. The footwell was hot as was my side sills near the cats. Very odd. I cleared the code and it never came back again. I'm about to do the same trip and I'll try to reproduce it.

OP
OP
J

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, last night the CEL came on again right before I got home... Guess I will give Mark J a call and see what he suggests.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang