Paint and Body Experts??

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Just spent 30 minutes with the search function).......I finally bit the bullet and tried some touch-up paint on some rock chips on the hood. Just now finished and it looks better, but you can still see the chips (of course) they're just the same color as the car now instead of white (primer).

Prior to doing this I had washed in Dawn, got tar off with WD40 and washed in Dawn again, then claybar and Dawn again so I was ready to start the Z1 until I decided to try the touch-up paint.

My Questions:

1) How long does it take the touch-up paint to dry (already dry to the touch).

2) Can I use claybar to get excess paint off from around the chips (I'm sort of heavy-handed) or is there another way?

I had posted about a year ago asking about rock chip repair and got some great advice but the suggestions were really more suited to an expert. I figured a gray chip could look no worse than a white one. Any help will be appreciated.
smile.gif

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shey, I do have the correct paint from Mopar for my car. Sal Zaino gave me a good tip. SLOWLY.... layer by layer........ build up the paint within the chip until it is flush with the rest of the finish. then polish.

Foolish, Why didn't you have some of that trim lined up when I came out to see you? Never mind........ Can you line some of it up and I'll come on out again (when it cools off a bit)
smile.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Latka paint blob smoother outer may be just the answer.

What would be the ultimate would be to apply layers of touchup paint ONLY IN THE CHIP.

If you aren't a brain surgeon with micro tools, this is impossible.

For spot repair, color blender is misted on the final paint to melt it into the original finish.

I imagine the Latka essentially does this but with a "sanding" or "filing" motion.

I'm going to look into getting some of the Latka.

DeeBitDa

(Simka was hot)

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomato Bud...... Your two posts above are more obtuse and contradictory than usual. Thanks!!
smile.gif

And I believe the product is Langka (I'm gonna try it).

I think a Latka is some sort of ethnic food...
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4