Painting Stripes

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone has gotten a price on painting stripes on their gts. I have a silver 99 gts acr and want to put stripes on it. I took it to a local body shop and he gave me a price for vinyl - $400, painted stripes and then clear coated on top of the paint - $800, and done right, sanded striped and then cleared for $1200.
Now he is saying there is no way he quoted me a price of 1200, that it would be $2400. I don't know if he made a mistake and estimated too low or what. Is $2400 a valid price or should I go to someone else? The guy has done other work for me and has done a good job, but I don't know if he's trying to j*rk me off now.
Thanks
Gary

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. I had mine painted on and they even removed the decklid, the hood, front and rear fascia and top when they painted them on.(to reduce overspray) Wet sanded edges for smooth finish and cleared the whole car. Looks like it came from the factory this way. I paid just under 3 bills. Worth every penny in my mind.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more pissed I get. I know he told me 11 to 1200. I think he's feeling he didn't make enough profit on the last job he did for me. He said-"I should have never done this job, people told me I am crazy for doing it" (straightining out the hood and front fascia), so I guess now he's trying to make up for it since he gave me a price before hand on the first job.
Gary

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed vinyl stripes and loved the way it looked, but wanted to possibly remove them and have stripes painted on instead. A very good local shop said to do it right, he'd have to take the car apart. Quoted me $6,500.00 to do it. Man, these vinyl stripes look great! :)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're gonna get whht you pay for. $2400 sounds just about right. There is a fantastic painter in Southern Jersey who everybody on the east caost used to send their cars to for stripes. Name escapes me at the moment, I know Bill P. will know the name. Back in the day stripes cost well over 2k as an option and Woodhouse charged well over 2k if I recall for a really spectacular, better than factory, smooth sanded, can't feel the edges clearcoated finish, better than the factory.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you bid some other shops out,you'll have your answer.
If the guy is reputable and you've done work with him before,what the heck is a +-$1000.to ya,for a major appearance change to the car.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he would have told me 2400 to begin with I guess I would have thought it's a lot of money but probably a fair price. My car has been there for 6 weeks now and he is finally finishing the work (we had to wait for some parts). I could swear he told me 1200 and now feels he didn't make enough on the other work. I just thought I could get an idea of the cost from other people that have had it done- but I guess it will vary in cost by a lot depending on the shop.
Thanks!
Gary

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid around $1900 for mine to be done right...so I would say that, although a little more, $2400 is in the ballpark if done right! It sure does change the apprearance!!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it common for guys to put the stripes on even if they weren't done by the factory? does it depreciate the value of the car?

I have thinking about adding the stripes, are the factory ones painted on or vinyl?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 2000, I wanted factory stripes. I know a good body man can do a great job, but in the future...I think it could hurt the value of a car to have aftermarket stripes.

There could be quite a bit of labor to do them right. They should remove the rear bumper cover as the tail panel and bumper are against each other. Unless they have a lift in the spray booth (my shop does) they may also have to pull the front bumper to get the stripes underneath like factory.

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. Find a reputable shop and ask to see some of their work. Done wrong, and you have just wrecked a great car!
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang