Paxton or heads and cam?

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it has been discussed before. My question is who has had a Paxton Gen 3 with 30k+ miles on the car and 10k+ miles on the blower and have you had
any issues. Here are my options, a 30k+ mile Paxton, 522ci built engine, Motons, Quaife and numerous high dollar mods OR a 4k mile Stryker heads and cam,
522ci built engine, Motons, Quaife, etc... Both have Belanger headers and exhaust. Paxton is a 2004 white "coupe", Stryker is a 2006 black/gray coupe.

Tempted to go with the Stryker as it has low miles but I owned a Woodhouse 04 Paxton and loved it, this Paxton is putting out close to 800 hp though.

Herc

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have about 27,000 miles on our '05 with roughly 20,000 on a trouble-free DLM Paxton build. Greg Good heads, Comp Coupe cam, and forged internals making 870 rwhp on pump gas. Absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for all the Gen 5's in the world.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT - you have the best of both worlds!!!

Herc - It comes down to personal preference IMO. When I ran a forced induction car I was addicted to boost. In my heads/cam car, I'm addicted to the lope of that nasty cam. The Paxton likely puts down more rwhp, but that N/A car shouldn't be a slouch by any stretch. Good luck with your decision.

We have about 27,000 miles on our '05 with roughly 20,000 on a trouble-free DLM Paxton build. Greg Good heads, Comp Coupe cam, and forged internals making 870 rwhp on pump gas. Absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for all the Gen 5's in the world.

OP
OP
H

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT - you have the best of both worlds!!!

Herc - It comes down to personal preference IMO. When I ran a forced induction car I was addicted to boost. In my heads/cam car, I'm addicted to the lope of that nasty cam. The Paxton likely puts down more rwhp, but that N/A car shouldn't be a slouch by any stretch. Good luck with your decision.

The Paxton 04 is cam-ed also, blower cam, and sounds like it doesn't exactly idle as stock but I know what you mean, kind of what I am looking for.

Herc

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have had them both and they all are great fun. I have a 1002rwhp paxton vert and it is loads of fun. Would think about selling for the right $.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Paxton car with the built engine will offer you more hp potential. 30K miles isn't that much, if the car was maintained properly. I've got about 12K miles with the Paxton, it has been trouble-free.

My setup makes over 1,000 rwhp now. And, I still drove it to work today (95 miles).

Tony

OP
OP
H

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. Like I said, I had an 04 Paxton and really liked it, never owned a head and cam Viper but did have an 09, which I should have kept. The low miles
on the 06 head and cam makes it tempting but not sure if I will like the slate color.

OP
OP
H

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ended up going with the 06 coupe with Stryker heads, cam, Motons, Quaife and more.

RD

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. Like I said, I had an 04 Paxton and really liked it, never owned a head and cam Viper but did have an 09, which I should have kept. The low miles
on the 06 head and cam makes it tempting but not sure if I will like the slate color.
I love the slate color! Please post pictures when you have a chance.

OP
OP
H

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully I will arrive in a week or two, the dealer is still working out the shipping details.

Herc

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love the slate color. It's a pretty rare color. Add silver stripes and it will "pop" more. I too sold a gen 4 and bought an '06 coupe and wish I hadn't sold the '09.