Paxton S/C Install In NY/NJ/CT

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thinking of getting a paxton system installed on my srt10. anyone know of a good installer in the NY/CT/NJ areas? thanks

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse my previous post due to typo.Give Nick at Modern Performance a call at (732)222-3679 .Honest(as far as pros and cons with the blower ) very experienced on Vipers.He is in central NJ.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take it up to Viper Specialty in upstate NY. Dan is extremely knowlegeable and can tune it also.

I would wait to see what Roe releases in a few weeks. I know you had issues with your GenII kit but from what I have heard, Sean worked out the kinks and is coming out with an amazing product. No VEC3 needed. You will soon find out at VOI10.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think i saw a slightly used one for sale in the classifieds... :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but seriously call doug levin, nobody knows more about a paxton on a viper than him. he WILL talk to ya and answer any and all questions. now i dont care if people call him and distract him.... .:)

305-249-7223

a base kit paxton isnt all that hard to install id think. i bet his price is right in line with everyones and he is gonna do a great job for ya. he wont let it leave till you're happy. unless you get antsy and pull the car out sooner than it should be.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but seriously call doug levin, nobody knows more about a paxton on a viper than him. he WILL talk to ya and answer any and all questions. now i dont care if people call him and distract him.... .:)

305-249-7223

a base kit paxton isnt all that hard to install id think. i bet his price is right in line with everyones and he is gonna do a great job for ya. he wont let it leave till you're happy. unless you get antsy and pull the car out sooner than it should be.

Even with the base kit, the wisdom accumulated by someone who has installed the kit many times has great value. There are little techniques that make the installation better and more reliable. Call Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse and talk to him. I believe that Woodhouse has installed more than 100 stock kits. If you are not going beyond the stock kit, it is a very comfortable feeling to have the install done by one of the largest Viper dealers in the world. Woodhouse maintains a very close relationship with the SRT engineers and Paxton.

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree fully you with Bobpantax!

I had Mark and his super team at Woodhouse install mine.

They know what they doing and stand behind their work 100%.

I only buy my cars from them!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi City. I know that D was asking for a local installer. But since he seems to be talking about a stock kit, Woodhouse delivers on a fairly frequent basis to that general area and offers a free ride out to their location for those who want work done. ( The ride back is not free.) I think there is a valuable difference between an experienced Viper dealer install and an independent tuner install. Who is likely to still be around in the future if our beloved Viper ends in 2010? A mega dealer like Woodhouse which has multiple brand stores or the independent tuner? Since I followed D's posts concerning his last supercharging venture, I thought that he might want a bullet proof, no worry experience this time around.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi City. I know that D was asking for a local installer. But since he seems to be talking about a stock kit, Woodhouse delivers on a fairly frequent basis to that general area and offers a free ride out to their location for those who want work done. ( The ride back is not free.) I think there is a valuable difference between an experienced Viper dealer install and an independent tuner install. Who is likely to still be around in the future if our beloved Viper ends in 2010? A mega dealer like Woodhouse which has multiple brand stores or the independent tuner? Since I followed D's posts concerning his last supercharging venture, I thought that he might want a bullet proof, no worry experience this time around.

A smart independent tuner already has plans for the future, regardless of the Vipers existance. However, if the Viper program ends, I think you will see a rise in aftermarket work, not fall. People will be more willing to increase their cars performance knowing that there will be nothing to "trade up" to in the future. I also predict a rise in restorations, repairs, and rebuilds as the cars get older and more valuble, especially to their owners.

On another note, and I am by no means trying to step on anyones toes here [in fact, quite the opposite, this is a credit towards many Viper related dealers that dont fall into this category], but Dealerships often have less knowledge of the inner working of a particular product than the tuners who support and design the systems, as well as restictions placed on their capability, usually stemming from politics between the dealer and manufacturer. There is a large difference between being able to install a product and fabricate a product, just as there is a big difference between explaining what something does versus how/why something works.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious Dan. Woodhouse has installed over 100 Paxton kits. They maintain a close relationship with Paxton and the SRT engineers. Just to compare data, how many Paxton kits have you installed and do you mainatin a direct and close relationship with Paxton and the SRT engineers? I think that for a stock kit install, Woodhouse is the safest and most sensible route. For work beyond a stock install, like the work done by Doug and Dan Cragin, to name two independent tuners ( I would include you but I do not have direct knowedge of your work), an independent tuner is needed.

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just to clarify; ted's was the 1st gen 3 s/c, . I never claimed to have installed his. but have done many , and continue to do so.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry mike, i always thought you installed his. my bad.

and Bob, i know doug levin DOES have a very close relationship with paxton and has installed a bunch of them as well.

sorry scott, i had to throw my favorite tuners name around a bit... .:)

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no need to apologize, i'm not upset, just stating the truth. but thank you anyway for throwing my name out there...

ps hows the car? stop by one day with it.....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just curious Dan. Woodhouse has installed over 100 Paxton kits. They maintain a close relationship with Paxton and the SRT engineers. Just to compare data, how many Paxton kits have you installed and do you mainatin a direct and close relationship with Paxton and the SRT engineers? I think that for a stock kit install, Woodhouse is the safest and most sensible route. For work beyond a stock install, like the work done by Doug and Dan Cragin, to name two independent tuners ( I would include you but I do not have direct knowedge of your work), an independent tuner is needed.

We have installed/sold and/or troubleshooted about 2 dozen Paxton blowers over the last couple years. I speak with Paxton regularly, as well as a few of the fellow tuners. In fact I just spoke with Paxton less than a week ago about a few things. I do not deal directly with the SRT Engineers, but at the same time, I design/fabricate performance parts and packages for these cars at any scale needed for the final product, and have a mechanical engineering background myself... so I am not at a loss when it comes to knowing what makes these cars tick. More than once I have had to sweep up something that the Chrysler Bean Counters engineered into a cost-saving-problem, and I am sure I will have to do it again in the future. :crazy2:

I/other tuners have certainly completed tasks that are well beyond the capability of virtually any dealership. As I said earlier, this is not just from a knowledge standpoint, dealerships have their hands tied in many respects, often being political in nature. Dealerships are broad service-based entities, but they almost never full-out performance shops, and even rarer than that would be having them involved in fabrication/design. They for the most part are not equipped/experienced and do not have the time to undertake such efforts. If anything, it is easier for an experienced large-scale-build tuner to scale their build back to lower bolt-on levels, taking with them the knowledge of the problems that will be first encountered at higher levels.

I will not disagree with you that Woodhouse is a very safe route, especially for a bolt-on kit. I was simply stating that with the current state of affairs, there is NO issue having an independant tuner do the work- your original post made it sound like the rest of us are going out of business next week. :(

Whether it makes sense to go with any of the above is of course up to Dimitrios, not any of us. I just think that "all things are pretty equal" with ANY certified Paxton Viper installer who has some experience, especially at the lower bolt-on levels.

PS- I dont know how well you follow the boards, but I have hundreds upon hundreds of technical posts on this forum, as well as hundreds of customers both on and off the Viper sites, and I'm also the Technical Director of Ontario Canada, which is a sizable club. I could be reading your writing style wrong, as it is quite easy to do over the internet, but it seems as though you havent "noticed" me 'round these parts before. Also, I dont know if you are attending VOI10 or not, but there will be a number of cars I have built there if you are interested, at least 5-7 sizable project cars that I can think of, just from the local pool of cars that are attending.:2tu:

Last edited:

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dimitrios, why not try chuck tator? Hes extremely knowlegeable. The last time I was there he was doing a blower kit actually.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VS said: I will not disagree with you that Woodhouse is a very safe route, especially for a bolt-on kit. I was simply stating that with the current state of affairs, there is NO issue having an independant tuner do the work- your original post made it sound like the rest of us are going out of business next week. :(

My original post is precise. It does not mention "next week". It does highlight the fact that a big dealer like Woodhouse is more likely to survive than an independent tuner after 2010 if the Viper ends in 2010. Independent tuners do not have anywhere near the financial resources of a dealer like Woodhouse. Another issue of relevance is the value of a deeper pocket if something goes wrong with an installation. However, as I said above, if someone wants more than the stock Paxton supercharging kit then they need an independent tuner. It is their responsibility to understand the additional risks involved.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
VS said: I will not disagree with you that Woodhouse is a very safe route, especially for a bolt-on kit. I was simply stating that with the current state of affairs, there is NO issue having an independant tuner do the work- your original post made it sound like the rest of us are going out of business next week. :(

My original post is precise. It does not mention "next week". It does highlight the fact that a big dealer like Woodhouse is more likely to survive than an independent tuner after 2010 if the Viper ends in 2010. Independent tuners do not have anywhere near the financial resources of a dealer like Woodhouse. Another issue of relevance is the value of a deeper pocket if something goes wrong with an installation. However, as I said above, if someone wants more than the stock Paxton supercharging kit then they need an independent tuner. It is their responsibility to understand the additional risks involved.

haha, I forgot I was speaking to a lawyer. "Next Week" was a very obvious exaggeration, though I am sure you knew that.

I do however think that your outlook on the market is skewed in the wrong direction. When the OEM's stop making parts and stop having manufacturer support for a discontinued car, where does that leave any dealer? I could think of another dozen examples of this, the least of which is supply issues and potential lost money over a car that is no longer sold or supported. I think it is pretty apparent if you look around at the hundreds of other examples out there- Who is supporting the cars of yester-year? The dealerships, or all of the independent shops? The answer to that is in plain sight, just about anywhere you look.

Regardless, we are talking about a time period that is quite far in the future, as any impact will not be felt for quite some time after the model year ended, and all of this is going on the assumption the car will be canceled. And you know what they say about assume... Ass, U, Me...?. This time period would likely put ANY supercharged car out of warranty from both a dealer or tuner by that point, so you wouldnt be locked in to a particular shop any way. Keep in mind that all blowers are currently going on cars 2006 and older, that already puts 1-2 years on their in-service date.

A lot can be said for financial resources, but a lot can also be said for insurance, experience, knowledge and contacts- especially when it comes to troubleshooting and parts shortages, not to mention having the ability to permanently solve any problem requireing the design aspect of things. [remember what I said about manufacturer politics]. Regardless of what happened to a car, I highly doubt there is a Viper tuner in existance that does not have the ability to handle it, in one way or the other if it truly came down to it.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is the editor of a major car mag put me in touch with Paxtons Head of r and d a few months back(i wanted to put a kit on my 06 coupe)anyhow it was interesting to note that Paxton claims the only issues that ever arise come from individuals who alter the STOCK boost pulley and or have too many power bolt ons-affecting air fuel.If you plan to deviate from the stock kit (at all )your engine,fuel system ect had better be built and the person tuning the thing had better know what they are doing.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS i guess this is why Doug Levin does not due mail order .He wants to supervise every aspect before the car goes anyhere.

Reaction score
PS i guess this is why Doug Levin does not due mail order .He wants to supervise every aspect before the car goes anyhere.

Not sure if this is a remark about "dealers" or not but I can ASSURE you that there is nothing that gets through without my approval and with all the "mail order" cars/transactions we do a year 1000's parts and service, (about 300 cars a year are shipped in or out), I rarely end up having any issues with customer satisfaction. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte