Paxton tuning warning for DIY'ers

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton tuning warning for DIY\'ers

After answering another email in regards to tuning the paxton/splitsec combo and typing the same warning again I figure it would be wise to just post this info.

If you have a paxton kit and are accessing the splitsec with the R4 software you MUST be aware of the following or you can certainly DESTROY your motor (especially creampuff's) very quickly.

The R4 software needs to be configured for the same settings that paxton sets it up for. When you load the software, you must 'create customer' before you can download the maps. When you create this customer you must setup everything under the options tab on the front screen. The reason is, when you get the maps from the splitsec it does NOT bring the config (stuff under options tab) also. When you SEND the maps to the splitsec it *DOES* send the config settings. If these settings are at default your next test run will be a VERY bad one. (the config settings control the additional fuel pumps) So downloading the maps into the R4 software and making a change and re-sending them can effectivley remove the proper fuel pump settings. The lean condition will be immediate and can be fatal to the motor. This issue was not important because the readily available version of R4 would not access the box. Now that the newer version is making its 'rounds' and people are being tempted by that serial port this issue needs to be made public.

Bottom line - if you must play with or even look at the settings of your piggy back box, do the following. Nobody will gain from DIY'ers hurting their motor due to a lack of knowledge.

Create customer
Open customer
Options - vaccum/pressure and programmable fuel/timing
Options - engine settings - 10cyl / 4 stroke
Options - Output settings (this is the Problem one!) over pressure set to -4 (that is negative four)
connect and then download the map
MAPA (not used) MAPB is timing retard
upload map

Thats it. The over pressure is normally default at 7 and that means that the box will NOT provide additional fuel by turning on the fuel pumps until 7psi (BAD BAD BAD) once you set it to -4 it will start the pumps up before any boost is made. They will be online and ready to pump at 4 inches of vac. Depending on your firmware version the next time you check it, the overpressure may be at -3.99 or -3.87 or something like that. That is fine.

Hope that making everyone aware of this will keep someone from accidentally hurting their motor. The Paxton kit truly is a blast and is good, SAFE, clean power. They just should have made it either harder to get in the split sec box or supplied SPECIFIC settings for people to know.

I am still more than willing to help out via email or on the phone, to anybody who needs it. Knowledge truly is power.

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Paxton tuning warning for DIY\'ers

Jason,

Thanks for the update. This is great information. Too many tuners are "hush hush" about this kind of thing. Like you said, "Nobody will gain from DIY'ers hurting their motor due to a lack of knowledge." Thank you for helping the viper community.

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Things like camshaft specs are understandable for a 'hush' factor, but pertinent information that the manufacturer should disclose should be PD. Especially in regards to things that can hurt a motor. Thanks for the recognition...

JT

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll be a broken Record here. Do yourself a favor, and dont do the DIY kit. The piggy back system they supply for getting the motor the extra fuel it needs is deficient. Some tuners can make changes and get it to work (by using/changing the fuel maps in the split sec box), or by simply replaceing the fuel system with an appropriate one. But unless they have changed the kits fuel system since I purchased mine earlier this year, I wouldnt trust it. Unless you want a ticking Time Bomb.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about using a vec2 to run a paxton?

I don't know of anyone who's used one with the base kit, but it seems to work really well with an upgraded fuel system etc. on a big hp system.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Im regards to the vec2 and a paxton car, I'm having one installed this week. The tuner replaced the paxton booster pumps and lines as well. He then installed a different fuel pump and modified that. I will post later on the results.
I'm just hoping for a good a\f ratio across the board.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Talk to Mike Adams. He's using a VEC2 with his Paxton. He said it works pretty well.