"PERFECT" power for the street?

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in a long discussion tonight with a couple of buddies. Within my group of friends/acquaintances we have my Roe S/C Bumblebee (520+/570+ at the tires), a Terminator Cobra (570+/550+ at the tires), a stock Ford GT, a 360 Modena Berlinetta F1, a replica Daytona Coupe (400+hp) and a F430 Spyder (stock).

It seems that all cars have their issues and we all like the "No amount of HP is ever enough) but we also know that too much HP is useless on the street and/or track with DOT tires.

Since I have had my GTS, I have been amazed at how strong it runs on the street, even though it is a mild S/C car. But because of the Roe low end grunt, 3.07's, Nitto Invos and lowered suspension on KW's - it is a really solid performer. It simply flies...

I hear about TT guys and Paxton guys with GOBS of power, but they almost always have serious traction issues that actually make them slower... So, the question is - what seems to be a good balance of useable power?

In the above scenario, the 360 Modena and my GTS are the only two vehicles that have a great combination of traction and power. The other cars have a hard time out of the hole and on full acceleration shifting. I know that drivers can make the difference, but in my car I can go full throttle and I really have no traction issues, although I feel that I'm right on the edge of losing traction. I feel that I have the "perfect" amount of power...

Outside of bragging rights, when is there too much HP?

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 620RWHP now...Added 1.7 rollers, headers, 3 inch exhast, etc, and am having it tuned properly for the first time...I am hoping for 670 on the dyno with no detonation issues in real world driving..Super fast and thrilling...Al

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMHO, I think it all depends on how its set up. I your pushing 600HP N/A with 4.10 gears and PS2s, your probably wasting HP on the street. But if you have the same HP with stock gears and drag radials, your probably not wasting much HP.

I would guess with boost controllers you can have lots of power with TTs and still hook up. With the controller you can set it at certain levels of boost throughout the RPM range. Would take some time to dial it in, but once done, you essentially have torque management/traction control, and all the power you want once you get past the first couple gears.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To much power?

Wasn't aware there was such a thing. It's all about the driver mod. Eventually that 1000+rwhp will hook on the street.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went from ROE SC 600RWHP to NA 500RWHP. Even with new tires, 500RWHP is more than needed for the street. Until you get to 100MPH, there is very little difference. The new cars are splitting hairs in 0-60 times, with 0.1 sec being a big deal. On the street, driving conditions and skill will be a bigger factor. The extra HP won't show up until you get near 100MPH.

In my opinion, if you're doing 100MPH on the street, you should be tracking your car instead. You can use the power there, and you're not risking the lives of innocent folks.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went from ROE SC 600RWHP to NA 500RWHP. Even with new tires, 500RWHP is more than needed for the street. Until you get to 100MPH, there is very little difference. The new cars are splitting hairs in 0-60 times, with 0.1 sec being a big deal. On the street, driving conditions and skill will be a bigger factor. The extra HP won't show up until you get near 100MPH.

In my opinion, if you're doing 100MPH on the street, you should be tracking your car instead. You can use the power there, and you're not risking the lives of innocent folks.
Curious why dissed the Roe and went N/A..thanks..Al

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you cant make 600rwhp hook on the street you need to learn how to work the accelerator.

IMO 700-750rwhp is about the limit for a street car. Anything beyond that and it does start to get difficult to hook on the street.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you cant make 600rwhp hook on the street you need to learn how to work the accelerator.
Bingo.

My car makes 635 rwhp with the Roe. I have no problems launching ******* OEM Pilots. Obviously, if I just stand on the accelerator from a dead stop it's going to spin. But it's not that hard to launch it without the spin when I want/need to.:2tu:

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IMO 700-750rwhp is about the limit for a street car. Anything beyond that and it does start to get difficult to hook on the street.

I could make the car 'hook up'. However, until I hit 100MPH, there is nearly ZERO performance benefit of the extra HP. If I have 600RWHP, but only go 3/4 throttle, what is the point?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could make the car 'hook up'. However, until I hit 100MPH, there is nearly ZERO performance benefit of the extra HP. If I have 600RWHP, but only go 3/4 throttle, what is the point?

Are you racing on some really slick roads or what?

I have gone from 20-30mph punches with 600rwhp cars and dead hooked. If you cant get 600rwhp to hook before 50-60mph something is wrong.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious why dissed the Roe and went N/A..thanks..Al

For what I do with the car, it's wasn't worth the $ or potential problems. Not that the ROE kit itself is unreliable. It was rock solid. It's just the basics of once you add boost, you add risk. Especially with the longer run times during the heat of the summer. I already had all the components on the car for good NA, so the SC was overkill.

I do more DE style road race events. The extra HP was fun, but I could only use it in a minimal set of scenarios. I found that I was at the limit of traction at part throttle until nearly straight. Since most of the straights are shorter, the time at full throttle wasn't long. Every HP needs braking to take it off.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're only asking about hp. Tire spin is more about torque. Over 800rwtq from idle past 3800rpm is more than stock tires can handle. You're right about traction uncer 100mph. Although that much torque means that it drives well at highway speeds in high gear and adds driveability to the higher gears for normal driving.

"too much power" is an opinion different to each driver. n/a power is one type of hp, Roe sc power is equivalent to running 1000 cubic inches whereas Paxton and Turbo power are different again.

Hp level is a "to each his own" question. I find my 700+ hp to be barely manageable on the street and it's enough to cause an instant crash for the majority of drivers in the world. I've almost crashed it twice myself.

My car has a 100hp Nitrous kit on it and I couldn't use it until about 140mph - so I've never installed the bottle. But, one day, with a rollbar and DR's ??? Great for the standing mile.

Ted

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It depends on the setup. 600rwhp and PS2 are GREAT for a Viper. We've got lots of grip. You can overpower the rear if you want or roll onto the throttle hook-up and be GONE!

taillights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hook up a VHT nozzle infront of rear tire TRACTION PROBLEM SOLVED....:lmao::rolaugh::2tu: JK.. I have a turbo ls1 car with 800 rwhp and have no problem with traction if I do'nt come off the line with boost and by the time it spools-up I'm already moving pretty good.. Off the trans-brake and 2-step limiter there is no way to hook the car on the street from the dig.. I also have a 98 GTS with a vortech blwer making 750rwhp with the 6sp viper the massive amount of torque down low will smoke-em fast without throttle control as well as clutch burning for traction..Good luck and drive safe..:drive:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they should make a switch in a car where you can go from 800rw to 1000rw with the flick of a switch while you are driving.
When that day comes, the streets will be controlled by Vipers! :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You mean like an EBC (Electronic Boost Controller) like I've got in my Stealth?

Don't the Vipers rule the streets where you're from?

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4