performance mods for a 2002 gts.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Sean, best thing you can do is a supercharger. But, as I said above, you need to consider what your goal of modding your car is...combined with your budget. Yup, agree, for $3,000 or so, would do smooth tubes/hi-flow air filter (can easily change back to stock), cat-back exhaust (keep your stock pipes/muffler) and hi-flow cats (keep your stock cats).

Check Roe Performance, Parts Rack for prices... they both have the above.

And, as I've been told on here many times, don't make the decision to mod or not to mod based on the resale value of your car. It is a personal thing, so do the mods (or not) that will give you the most owning and driving pleasure.

For me, if I had the extra cash, I would do a Roe SC in a heartbeat. Of course, reality sets in when you have a wife, two young kids, a house and a boat...

:D

OP
OP
R

ramblinman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think, when discussing mods, you need to put a budget in as a qualifier. You can do lots of things if money is no object. Also, if you are looking to keep the car relatively stock, changing cam and headwork, etc., loses some of that "stockness" of the car. I think the mods are good ones, but just need to keep in mind what your end goal is.

Just my 2-cents.

:)
budget is not the main concern. Retaining the qualities i talked about in original post are most important. Im just starting to look and get some ideas. May not do anything..

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always read gears feel faster, but I never see. "I took my viper to the track with stock gears ran xx.x and then I swapped gears and it ran xx.x."

OP
OP
R

ramblinman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you considered White Hood Vents, That gives you at least another 12% HP :D
well wouldnt that depend on the shade of white. I could see the 12% if i went with a pearle white. I believe off white only yields about 8%

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest doing headers, highflow cats, and an SCT tune first. You already have a nice exhaust system that'll compliment the headers. That might be enough of a power increase for you. If you want more power after that I would do Heads and Cam (probably not 708 because there are better ones out there for a few more $). With the right heads and cam you could produce just as much hp as a low boost supercharger and still remain stock looking while saving a good chunk of change.

OP
OP
R

ramblinman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would suggest doing headers, highflow cats, and an SCT tune first. You already have a nice exhaust system that'll compliment the headers. That might be enough of a power increase for you. If you want more power after that I would do Heads and Cam (probably not 708 because there are better ones out there for a few more $). With the right heads and cam you could produce just as much hp as a low boost supercharger and still remain stock looking while saving a good chunk of change.

have you done these mods or have any experience with them

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The #1 best thing you can do for around $3,000 including cost of labor to add performance to a stock GENII Viper would be new cat-back exhaust, high-flow cats and smooth tubes/air filter. Those were the first things I did, and for all the parts plus labor would be around $3-$3,500 tops.

Yes, 96-99 GENII have forged Pistons. 2000-2002 GENII have Cast Pistons.

Okay, which brand(s) are reccomended, I'm having a tough time finding performance parts for Vipers.. I'm used to being able to open a Jegs or Summit magazine and pick out parts.. lol

I'm really interestedi n full exhaust and intake

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, which brand(s) are reccomended, I'm having a tough time finding performance parts for Vipers.. I'm used to being able to open a Jegs or Summit magazine and pick out parts.. lol

I got headers and catback for $1000. Look in the classifieds, keep your eye open.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told with all the mods I listed including a custom tune with the SCT Tuner I could possibly hit 500 HP to the wheels. If not, extremely close to it since the SCT is good for around 25-30 HP. That's why I was figuring if I didn't quite make the 500 number, would TBs possibly give me the extra HP I need to hopefully hit 500rwhp consistently after the install and tune.

If not, I'll have to figure out what else(besides heads/cam) I'll need to get that number if TB's isn't the answer.

Either way, if I ever do 3.55 gears, I'll make sure to have those installed AFTER I hit 500rwhp so I know where I'm at.

I agree, the 3.54 gear is a definite first class improvement.
But I don't see any mention of changing the diff? It's the next weakest link, depending on how you use your horse-power I suppose.
I fitted a 3.54 gear with an OSG diff last winter and the difference is remarkable. :thumbup:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you do full exhaust, that would include new Headers as well which will most certainly put you well above $3-$3,500. New headers alone can run you anywhere from $1,400-$2,200 and that's not including any labor.

My soon-to-be Full Exhaust is:
American Racing Stepped Headers(Not installed yet)
American Racing Metallic High-Flow Cats(Not installed yet)
Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust

My Current Exhaust until I install the new stuff is:

Stock Factory Headers
Random-tech Ceramic High-Flow Cats
Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust

Highly Recommended Headers if you didn't go with American Racing like I bought are: Belanger, M&M, B&B.

Highly Recommended Cat-Back systems if you didn't go with the Corsa are: Belanger, B&B, Random-tech, Borla.

As for Cats: Random-tech are the only American Made ones I know of. From what I was told- Most, if not all companies selling exhaust get their cats overseas and put their label on them, so you aren't necessarily getting an American made cat and therefore have no idea where you are getting them from. So Random-tech is highly recommended. However, the only reason I'm swapping out my current Random-tech for the American Racing Cats, are because my current cats have a 2.5" inlet to connect to my stock headers. Since my new American Racing Headers require a 3" inlet, rather then getting an adapter for the cats to accommodate this(which would be pointless) I purchased the cats that came with the American Racing headers for the best fit. I also wanted to switch from Ceramic to Metallic for a slightly louder overall sound, and they were about half the cost of buying new Metallic Random-tech Cats. In the future, I might buy Random-tech Metallic Cats to replace these though.
*Contact JonB for Cat information, you could consider him the Cat Wizard since he knows all in that department.

**By the way. Never take anyone's opinion on what they feel is THE BEST exhaust setup, since usually whatever someone owns they will claim is the best. You need to hear other people's setups and decide on your own what you like. I LOVE the way my Corsa Cat-back sounds, however, that doesn't mean it's the best. My friend Martin has a Belanger Cat-back Exhaust which sounds awesome, has a really good rumble to it and is definitely louder than mine. His sounds like a classic muscle car. My Corsa is more raspy, but is loud at idle(not as loud as belanger tho), but prob gets just as loud as belanger when WOT and sounds more exotic like a Ferrari rather than a classic muscle car.

I almost bought Belanger Headers too, and asked several people on what their opinion was in regards to Belanger vs American Racing. Barely anyone had American Racing on their GEN II, and I couldn't find any sound clips to get an idea. Even though the majority of people recommended me getting Belanger over American Racing. I went with American Racing because I liked the idea of how they were built more, being Stainless steel. I also liked how they looked more being a stepped header, and lastly, I kind of liked the fact not as many people yet have the American Racing Headers on their GEN II car compared to how many people already have Belanger, B&B or M&M Headers. It sets mine apart from most people and I like being different. So I decided to go with American Racing, and from what I've heard and been told, I won't be disappointed. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ramblinman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have ballanger headers and high flow cats, but no SCT. I have a VEC 2 instead, but I also have a 10lb Roe supercharger installed. Will be installing GG heads/cam shortly.
well what has your experience been. Has performance been dramatically increased. Has there been any effect on reliqbility. Thanks

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of my mods were already installed, including the headers,supercharger, and high flow cats. I've never driven a stock Viper. I have no reliability issues at all and you won't have any if the parts are installed properly and the tune is good. I run the SCT in my supercharged Ram Srt-10 and it drives like stock (until the boost hits) and is very reliable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte