Performance Results: 17" vs. 18" vs. 19" vs. 20" Wheels

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance Results: 17\" vs. 18\" vs. 19\" vs. 20\" Wheels

Performance Results: 17" vs. 18" vs. 19" vs. 20" Wheels

Noting that DC increased the Viper's wheel size from 17" to 18" in 1999 and then increased the rear wheel size to 19" in 2003, other than personal aesthetic preference (ie. big ****'in, bling bling, dubs) are there any performance benefits to increasing wheel size?

(Auto-cross, 1/4 mile...)

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Performance Results: 17

What I know about wheels and ties is very little. But obviously the wider patch the tire produces the greater the benifits in handling and accelerating, but then you have to consider the sidewall may be stiffer with the lower profile tires and not hook up as well.

However, you have to take the overall height of the wheel and tire and compare these with other setups to determine how it will affect final drive ratios. I guess it would be possible for a 17 inch wheel and tire to be taller than a 19 inch depending on the profile of the tire (don't know for sure).

There are several varibles to consider other than wheel size.

But, I know for posing I sure would rather have the 20's versus the 17's. :usa:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The sidewall of the tire gets smaller assuming the overall size of the wheel/ tire stays the same. So no performance change in traction for acceleration. Cornering does improve with a larger diameter wheel. The tire wont "roll over on the rim" or "crab" thru a turn. The smaller wheel with a wrinkle wall slick will improve quarter mile accel by gripping the track off the line. A standard street radial on a smaller wheel makes no improvement because the sidewall of the tire is too stiff.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would think with a Viper..the 17 inch set up will give you more "feedback" to the driver than a 18 inch or larger.

The shorter the sidewall the less flex it has thus less signals to the driver that the limits of adhesion are being tested.

For street use... better feedback would be a benefit as "feeling" your car's limits that much earlier is a good thing.

Nascar and most open wheel race cars have tall sidewalls.

From what I remember it allows better flexibility of tuning a car to track conditions.

They use tire pressures to tune the car as well.

There are many good books on this very subject. One good one is called "how to make your car handle" It really gets into the details of your question.

Bigger rims are mostly for the "bling-bling" factor

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Performance Results: 17\" vs. 18\" vs. 19\" vs. 20\" Wheels

Smaller wheels in the rear are better for drag racing because you want the sidewall flex (wrinkle) for traction on the launch.

For road racing, theoretically you would want a bigger wheel/smaller sidewall which means a stiffer tire giving you better control and feedback from the road. Anytime you make a change, you sacrifice one thing for another. Smaller sidewalls means harsher ride, less suspension travel, and less protection for your expensive wheels.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bigger is always better.......don't believe the girls that tell you otherwise.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Larger diameter tires allow the fittment of larger diameter brakes. New SRT-10 has much larger brakes, which I don't believe would have fit inside the previous rims. The larger rims also allow for better brake cooling, and permit even larger aftermarket brakes, and besides they look really cool.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bigger is always better.......don't believe the girls that tell you otherwise.

Anthony speaks the absolute truth...

The phrase "Run what ya brung and hope you brung enough" springs to mind for some reason... ;)

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The diagonal type of construction in a ET tire gives a longer contact patch(not wider), that's the key to traction on the dragstrip.
A wide patch is preferred when cornering, a long patch is preferred when accelerating.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tire Rack, I believe, did a little "study" years ago that showed going up to a 17" rim (from 15" or 16") reduced the total weight of the tire+wheel combination. Over 17" the total weight began to increase again, because there is more and more metal. Anybody weigh their 17", 18", and 19" wheel/tires? If not, I can volunteer some 17" weights.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hold them there horses. when it comes to tires bigger is NOT always better. In fact, depending on what your doing it is often the exact opposite.

When drag racing you would want a small rim with a large sidewall that will flex and when under power use centrifugal force to maximize the outside diameter of the wheel/tire package.

When road racing you (generally) want enough sidewall flex in the rear to accentuate slip angle and provide additional feedback to the driver. This is a big benefit to less experienced drivers - trust me). So, a 17" rear rim package would be better for most drivers on a road course. However, on the front you (generally) want to minimize tire roll and a larger wheel/tire package would be preferable. Many feel that the "hot" setup is 18" in the front and 17" in the rear. This also conveiniently works over most brake packages as well.

For street? You want the baddest mama jamma wheels and tire you can find.

Bigger ain't always better on your car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte