Performance Transmission

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am at the point where I'm ready to start investigating the performance transmissions out there.

Some questions:
1) Rebuilt vs. New: What parts do remanufacturers leverage to make the rebuild better than the original
2) Aftermarket transmissions
3) Customized stock transmissions: Beyond rebuild with better parts, rebuild with high performance parts.

Who's out there now? I've seen Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions on eBay. Their prices are good, but what do they do that is so special?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Rick, is there a problem with what you got? Just wonder.....
Unless you are looking for an Auto, I would suggest looking into that Tranny that changes the ratio of 5th and 6th gear. That would be great with your 3.55.

But to give you more advice requires more info from you!

Regards,

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At Road Atlanta last month I could not "find" 5th gear at 6000RPM. On regular street driving 5th gear is no problem (shifting at 3-4K RPM). Therefore, the reason for my question is around what is causing the transmission to not be able to go into 5th at high RPMs. All other gears are fine.

As for the 3.55 gears, I'm strongly considering going back to 3.07 unless, as was mentioned, there's a way to regear the tranny. I want 4rth gear to be extended. Right now I need to shift to 5th at 120MPH (or so) where the guys running stock rear ends can take 4rth to 140-150MPH.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if there's more info I need to post.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the serious racer - Hollinger of Australia produce a 6 speed with sequential shift I believe. No experience with their Viper box - but their boxes are legendary and standard equipment on all endurance super V8 racing cars "down under". They have their own website - they'll not be cheap - its top shelf!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well what's the website. Blast it, man! Heh-heh.

You must be registered for see images

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's linked on this very Forum - there is a wealth of good stuff on this site - go to Marketplace - performance - look under h for Holinger Gearboxes....

they weigh 50lb less than the T56! The factory T56 box is rated at 450ft/lb. We all know that you can well exceed the rating - the ratings are based upon severe duty sustained - not the odd track day.

I quote from their site...

"Variation of the original H6S-SEQ transmission this gearbox is designed to replace the T56 in the Dodge Viper, bolting directly to either the standard bell housing or Tilton's competition version. By upgrading the internals we have increased it's torque rating to over 650ft.lb.Also available as 'H' pattern for those classes of racing where sequential transmissions are not allowed."

I've seen guys drop almost 1/2 second on ET from doing nothing else than going from H box to Holinger 6 speed sequential. Also works on road circuits - all the top road race cars run them over here - shifts are made in spit seconds all day... beautiful pieces but very expensive.

They also make boxes for 996 GT3 and Lamboghini Diablo's as the factory boxes were flawed for serious circuit work.

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Come on guys! Let's get real. $15,000 for a tranny. Forget it. I'm looking for the companies that rebuild stock transmissions with higher quality parts for longer life and reliability. Who's out there and who do y'all trust for rebuilding a stock tranny? I don't need square cut gears for g-d sake! I can double-clutch just fine, I just don't want to do it heading to the grocery.

Eric

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've gotten two reasonable responses from people and one warning.

1) [******]. I'd like to hear from people that have actually gotten a rebuilt transmission from him - of course I'd want to compare that to the number of people who ordered one from him and never got it ;) The only time I ever purchased from [******] was a couple of years ago when I bought an airbox from him. Since I used a credit card I wasn't worried. It took a long while to get it, but when I did get it I was quite satisfied. Then all the horror stories started coming out on the board. I never had a reason to worry since I used a credit card _and_ the car was still drivable if I never got the part. The transmission is a much different story...

Here's his message: WE OFFER A T56 UPGRADE WHICH HAS MORE OPTIMAL GEARING FOR 5TH (.81 VS .74) AND 6TH (.68 VS .50). $2500 EXCHANGE.

I hope "exchange" means HE sends his transmission to ME first THEN I send mine back :) Also, no way in hell I'm paying a core fee as he waits for my exchange.

Also, why the change from [******] to HPE. Too many complaints to [******]? Reliability of a transmission can not be compared to reliability of the provider of the transmission!

2) Rockland Standard Gear. Never heard of them before. Someone was kind enough to e-mail me some contact information over there, but it would be good to get the feedback from another couple of people who have had transmission work from them. The person who e-mailed me also offered gear changes for 5th and 6th gear.

3) Jerico??? The person who informed me about Rockland said that Jerico was a fiasco. They weren't specific on who or what Jerico is.

Thanks all!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerico is a poor mans Holinger - it's a racing box - not what you are looking for....

Hope someone who has first hand experience with the other 2 options can help you.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jerico is a poor mans Holinger - it's a racing box - not what you are looking for....

Hope someone who has first hand experience with the other 2 options can help you.

Talk to Paolo about Jerico. The Quaife sequential are straight cut gears and are not practical for the street (they will tell you that themselves).

Brad

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing ratios in 5th and 6th sure makes a lot of sense - always thought that 0.5:1 in 6th made it useless for anything other than cruise... I doubt economy would even change much as the load to pull that gear would probably outweight the low rpm.

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, after lots of research I've decided to go with Rockland Standard Gear.

I purchased a new T56 with racing upgrades and gear swap for 5th and 6th gear. Total price without shipping = $3680. Without the gear swap the price would have been $2680. Also, if I had chosen a remanufactured transmission the price for both options would have been $185.00 cheaper ($3495 and $2495 respectively).

I'm having Larry Macedo do the swap in a couple of weeks. I'll let everyone know what it's like to finally have a usable 5th and 6th gear :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96