Picked her up yesterday...

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003 SRT-10, 2800 miles, perfect condition. The car is essentially "as new".

You must be registered for see images

I have put 140 miles on the car since yesterday, and I've burned through 3/4th of the tank. I picked it up with just over 3/4th's a tank, and now it's on empty. Ouch! I wasn't even pushing it hard. I wonder how linear the gas gauge is though...

The oil was changed at 600 miles, which was almost two years ago now, so I'm going to change that this weekend. It looks very straight forward, but if anyone has some pictures, advice or tricks that I should know, I'd appreciate it. Are people still using Mobil1 10w30, or is there some new oil that is recommended?

I removed the sun visors right when I got the car, and that makes a huge improvement. I am 6'2, so I felt a little claustrophobic in the car with them in place. Not to mention hey didn't do anything anyway.

The only thing I want to do is change the head unit, so I can get an iPod hookup. Crutchfield doesn't show an application for the Viper, so where do you all shop for new head units? I will need a surround for a single din head unit - I'm sure someone makes one.

Anyway, this is probably car number 16 for me in not so many years. I love cars, I have modified cars extensively throughout the years, and I mostly do all my own work. I am currently restoring a 1992 VW Corrado VR6 which I purchased last year as a winter car when I had my 2007 Audi RS 4 (which I sold this Spring). The Corrado will go back to being the winter car again this year, but I still have a few more months of Viper weather!

Looking forward to contributing to this forum,

- Anthony

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
silver....nice.

you could get the rb1 which is a factory head unit(fits right in) with nav and they make an IPOD adaptor for it...search around you'll find it.

V

Venomiss

Welcome and congratulations on your Viper!

Join the VCA and help support this site. Here's how and will get you in the Illustrated section.

http://forums.viperclub.org/2403732-post1.html

You are from?
PM the moderators with your information and they can change your status to Viper Owner.
CitySnake, Kcobean, or Lee00blacksilverGTS can help you with that.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and congrats on a very clean looking car.

/Rich

FYI, this is a pic of the RB-1 Nav/Sirius unit that the above post mentioned:

Timberline_First_Delivery_08.JPG

Chrysler makes an iPod adapter kit which is compatible with the RB-1.

/Rich

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats, that was my second choice color, but I went with black. Yours is easier to keep clean though thats for sure. Anyway ditto with the RB1 if you want something that fits stock. If not you will have to shop around for single DIN units. IMO the RB1 has its limitations so I went with a Single DIN unit instead with iPod integration. Crutchfield wont show units that fit if you have to get any type of aftermarket dash unit. I just upgraded my Wife's Double DIN unit in her Mercedes that crutchfield said would not fit. I called and asked why, they said because it doesn't fit the factory dash kit. We just had to get an aftermarket dash kit and it fit with no problem.

You can get a seat lowering kit from many of the vendors on this site. Give JonB a call. He will hook you up.

One rule of thumb if you dont already know is if you are going to WOT make sure you are pointed straight. If not bad things will happen. Oh and let the modding begin. Its just a matter of time. Get rid of the factory cross over exhaust and get either green or K&N Filters. Right now IMO the sound of the stock crossover exhaust ***** so you will love the sound of the Corsa exhaust system. With the Corsa it sounds as it should of from the factory. Headers will also give it the more rumble. Good luck and beautiful Viper. Join the VCA to get many of the benefits. Welcome to Viper ownership :2tu:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil was changed at 600 miles, which was almost two years ago now, so I'm going to change that this weekend. It looks very straight forward, but if anyone has some pictures, advice or tricks that I should know, I'd appreciate it. Are people still using Mobil1 10w30, or is there some new oil that is recommended?

Don't know about the 03's but my 06 takes Mobile 1 0W/40. Check the owners manual if it came with one. Great looking car. Enjoy it. Ease in to it, this is like no car you have ever owned before. It will bite when you least expect it.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 03 calls for 10w30 according to the gas cap. I'm not going to modify this car - that is what I have my other one for.

I looked up prices for the RB1 and for $500 I can get a much better aftermarket deck. I just need to find someone that makes a kit to fit it into the viper's dash.

I'm not too worried about the gas mileage because the engine is still barely broken in.

And of course to ruin my fun right away, this happened last night:

I have a local guy that does airbrushing for high end automobiles, so I'm going to have to take it to him and get him to fix that. It's about 3/4th's of an inch, right on the line of the door above the scoop. Worse it's on the drivers door so I see it every time I get into the car.

Ah well...

Last edited:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the dash kit that you need. give them a call and make sure its right. If it doesnt fit they will not refund you. Cars in Database

Once you get that chip fixed, get clear bra. Will help for those chips in the future.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the dash kit that you need. give them a call and make sure its right. If it doesnt fit they will not refund you. Cars in Database

Thanks.

Once you get that chip fixed, get clear bra. Will help for those chips in the future.

That is on the door though, not the front of the car.

Also, has anyone replaced the speakers in the door? They look like 6.5" components, and they seem quite easy to get to. Probably would be a cheap upgrade that would improve the sound.

And does this stereo have an actual amp somewhere, or is the head unit powering all the speakers?

- Anthony

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

That is on the door though, not the front of the car.

Also, has anyone replaced the speakers in the door? They look like 6.5" components, and they seem quite easy to get to. Probably would be a cheap upgrade that would improve the sound.

And does this stereo have an actual amp somewhere, or is the head unit powering all the speakers?

- Anthony
Oh ok didnt read the part where you said the door. I would still get clear bra for the front as its inevitable of getting rock chips.

There is an amp that is powering the speakers. As far as where it is located, I am not sure. I need to upgrade mine to be able to power the sub with my NAV Unit. I ended up getting the KENWOOD KVT-719DVD. I absolutely love that unit. You can get for a good price now. Car Toys did the install and used a standard Dash kit they had and the unit fit right in no problems. I dont have any pics of the Unit in the car. I will be able to get some in about a month though when I finally get to start driving my car again :drive:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can make that little mark disappear with factory match touch up paint, and some careful 2000 grit wet sanding. Then, polish.... I wouldnt not paint it.. But its your call..

Also, The way that rubbed off, and went down to the black right away, looks like it may have been painted before. But it also might just be the way it impacted.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can make that little mark disappear with factory match touch up paint, and some careful 2000 grit wet sanding. Then, polish.... I wouldnt not paint it.. But its your call..

I'm going to ask the guy's advice who does the airbrushing. If he wants to do it with touchup, that works for me.

I went and filled her up just now - took 15.1 gallons. It was on E and the light was on for about 10 miles, so I assume we hold roughly 16 gallons of gas? It averaged about 13 MPG on this tank.

To add some fun to it, I think I need a window regulator for the drivers window. It makes a "popping" sound when it hits the bottom of the window travel. Only does it on the way down though, not on the way up. I only have 2900 miles, but I'm two years out of bumper to bumper warranty, so I'm probably going to have to take care of this myself.

- Anthony

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony, congrats on your purchase of the '03 Silver Vert...we also removed our visors when we had the '05 vert...not sure we'll do that on the '08 yet. But, you are right, the car LOOKS better without them with the top down. Sounds like you are totally enjoying the car, CONGRATS!
Join us in the VCA and you'll have a wealth of information at your fingertips! PM the moderators with your VIN# and they can upgrade you to Viper Owner for now! (Moderators: kcobean/citysnake/lee00blacksilver/y2k5srt) WELCOME ABOARD! ~juli

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Congrats. As others have mentioned, make sure the wheels are pointed straight when getting on the GO pedal to avoid getting Snake Bit. If nav is not important to you, you can get an IPod adaptor for your current head unit.

Reaction score
First Congrats and welcome to the greatest club in the world, the VCA!!

With the black coming through and the window issue, sounds like there may have been a driver door issue prior. Did you check on that? :dunno:

If there was, maybe it can be covered by whomever worked on it. Though I will say the window issue I've heard about before.

Drive it, enjoy it and of course like we all do...modify it to your liking! :headbang:

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the black coming through and the window issue, sounds like there may have been a driver door issue prior. Did you check on that? :dunno:

The door has never been painted. I can tell from the texture of the paint. Carfax report on it was clean, too. The black coming through is from the edge of the door - it's easy to get a mark like that, I've had it happen on other cars. It just looks worse on silver because it contrasts against the paint.

The window issue is common from what I have read on here. I am hoping Dodge will work with me on this, as I am out of the warranty timeframe, but still have less than 3,000 miles on the car.

Does anyone know what the actual problem is with the regulator? Is this something that can be fixed? You may laugh, but I fixed the window regulators on our 3 series with zip ties! :)

- Anthony

ViperDreams

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You think you put a lot of miles on it since you got it? I bought mine about a month ago and put 2,000 miles on it already. What can I say? The weather has been nice and it much more fun to drive then my dd.

V

Venomiss

I'm going to ask the guy's advice who does the airbrushing. If he wants to do it with touchup, that works for me.

I went and filled her up just now - took 15.1 gallons. It was on E and the light was on for about 10 miles, so I assume we hold roughly 16 gallons of gas? It averaged about 13 MPG on this tank.

To add some fun to it, I think I need a window regulator for the drivers window. It makes a "popping" sound when it hits the bottom of the window travel. Only does it on the way down though, not on the way up. I only have 2900 miles, but I'm two years out of bumper to bumper warranty, so I'm probably going to have to take care of this myself.

- Anthony

This thread may have some information on your regulator.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...s/617302-window-problem-help.html#post2572079

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang